Good snack bar at Forton - Lancaster services M6

Been going past it for years but never even knew it was there until this week. There is a nice little snack bar van on the access road at the back of Forton - Lancaster northbound services, located right here : tinyurl.com/snackbarforton (shortened googlemaps pin link). Can be accessed from the southboard side too, by walking over the bridge in the services. Open monday to friday from about 7ish to 2ish usually.

The woman who runs it is a keen truck spotter/photographer too. No association, but a very convenient location for those of you up and down the M6 every day to stop for a coffee and butty. Apparently they have a facebook page called Go North if any of you use it.

Funny that, I had a drop last Wednesday just down from that White Carr lane,.a little engineering firm
Running south I sneaked round the access road to over the bridge on the N//b side (ok I know you ain’t supposed to)
If I’d known about this place, you could have bought me a breakfast. :smiley:
So on the n/b side, do you walk to it from the Travelodge or what?

Btw,.does anybody remember the ‘Transport Cafe’ up that tower on the N/b side?

No need to go anywhere near the travelodge rob! Just drive in n/b, park in truck park, get out of truck, walk through the gate straight in front of you and 50 yards down the lane and you’re there. It’s 60 seconds walk at the most. You can see the van through the trees from your truck.

Southbound you just walk into main building, up the stairs, over the motorway, out the other end and across the truck park and you’re there. 5 mins walk at the most. The pin in the link in my other post is exactly where the van is.

If you reckon it’s good,.I’ll give it a go sometime, cheers.

I just about remember the tower café, went there once in the early 90s. Forgot what it was called though, I seem to remember a picture painting of an American truck either at the foot of the stairs or on the stairs.

Must have looked space like when it first opened.

500px-Forton_open_to_trade_postcard.JPG

robroy:
Funny that, I had a drop last Wednesday just down from that White Carr lane,.a little engineering firm
Running south I sneaked round the access road to over the bridge on the N//b side (ok I know you ain’t supposed to)

Not Forton, but I remember another services with a similar tower.

Does anybody remember the old Aust or Sevrn View services?

robroy:

Yep I remember that, along with the one at Hilton park northbound , which was a regular haunt for me on a Saturday afternoon in the early 90s running back up from the smoke , popular with the Irish boys aswell

Frequented the tower now and again in the 80’s when I had the young’uns with me on my travels, I think it was called the Pennine Tower?

Before it was the truckers at the top it was for the noble gentre where it cost 1/6 for a cup of tea ,the truckers down stairs paid 3 pence. For a mug , Joepipe 3

I’ve been a few times, it’s very good.

Just_Adz:

First post?
Hmmmm you don’t own it by any chance do you? :smiley:

robroy:

Just_Adz:

First post?
Hmmmm you don’t own it by any chance do you? :smiley:

With that user name, he couldn’t have been more obvious than if he called himself ‘worldsbestdriver’ or ‘bestfridgeengineer’ (other nome-de-plumes are available…)… :grimacing:

Hilton Park Northbound also had a transport cafe up the tower.

the burger vans around mine put cones out so only customers can park when the layby is for anyone and no signs are up. and whenever you park up for a 45min or overnight he comes running out saying customers only.

Outside hopwood service station :frowning: one day i will take all his cones and dump them somewere

dave docwra:
Must have looked space like when it first opened.

Living in Clitheroe at the time Forton was well known as a destination just to go up the tower and have a meal - it was quite something in the day.

I remember it well, always known it as the “Mushroom”, fantastic breakfast. Pretty sad really to see it closed although thankfully I don’t have to go as far south these days.

It was maybe another modern day H&S victim. :unamused:
As far as I recall it was only access by lift only, don’t think there was a staircase.