Good news, everyone!

HGV driver shortage: Signs pressures are easing, trade group says

bbc.co.uk/news/business-59542794

But there has been a 25.6% increase in HGV driver tests from the July to September 2019 period compared to the same period in 2021 and a three-fold increase in applications for vocational provisional licences.

I think they meant the increase is in 2021 in comparison to the same period in 2019 (pre-covid)

So rejoice, brothers - no more high taxes and £78 000 p.a. salaries ! :angry:

No doubt Logistics UK are putting this spin on it to try to deter drivers from demanding higher pay. It’s a bit nonsensical to say “the number of drivers leaving the profession had begun to ease” when the majority of drivers who leave do so due to retirement.

I read the…

Article this morning, laughed, finished my coffee and went out to feed my three unicorns.

‘Begun to ease’… yeh right. :unamused:

Its true that some of the places who awarded large (long overdue) wage rises have indeed now filled their books, mate of mine who sidled in couldn’t get a buddy of his in there and they say they won’t need to recruit again until next autumn at the earliest.
Its also true that whilst some places have given big rises, especially some large supermarket RDC’s, others are holding out from following suit, so i don’t think this brinkmanship game is by any means over yet, maybe some places are hoping they can keep wage negotiations stalled until after Christmas, hoping there will be the usual lull in theory weakening driver’s bargaining and alternative possibilities positions.

But as above, those of us nearing the end of our working lives arn’t going to get any younger in the coming period and whatever happens we will have to be replaced.

I’m confident that the masses of Spanish, Bulgarian, Austrian, French, Turkish, Portuguese etc wagons everywhere doing unlimited cabotage are 'helping the situation too :open_mouth: :unamused:

My mate told me at one of there depots they’ve had a 5 k pay rise days , 7 k nights ( London depot ) & he’s getting £200 per extra shift worked up until Xmas ( employed ) , so can’t see the original article being true based on what my mates telling me

It isn’t hard to lie and cheat the average driver… Just tell 'em to “Believe what most other people believe” - and as an employer - you can collectively palm them off with any old dross, and consistantly get away with it.

Most drivers - believe that Agency work is less secure than a good full time contract.
Most drivers - believe that Covid is more likely to harm them than impoverishment.
Most drivers - believe what the management said, rather than what the whistleblower said.
Most drivers - wouldn’t chuck in a full time job to go agency
Most drivers - won’t work across weekends.
Most drivers - take at least 3 days sick every year.
Most drivers - are married to a person born female, rather than a Scania 6x2
Most drivers - won’t work 15 hour shifts
Most drivers - won’t work more than 10 hours on nights
Most drivers - don’t believe a Union ever helps them, but insist on being IN one.

Morning everyone! I’m a new driver (Cat C since July) and working Agency 5 days a week out of Norfolk. They didn’t have work for me Friday, Monday nor today (Tuesday). I’m working for £12 per hour with an occasional job paying 50p more per hour. I’m holding out on a full time “regular” job in hopes that the Christmas rush will happen and temporary rates will go into effect. I feel sure history repeats itself almost every year near Christmas but don’t actually know as I haven’t ever worked this time of year as an HGV driver. Anyone have any top tips for weathering this through better? i am on the books with about 4 different agencies, but only 1 has given me work strangely enough. I’ve had a couple calls for a couple of the others, but it always seems to fizzle out at the last minute. Is this a tactic of some sort? Anywho…I like agency work as it gives a but of freedom of choice, but I cannot afford to have days off without pay.

nynemout42:
Anywho…I like agency work as it gives a but of freedom of choice, but I cannot afford to have days off without pay.

If you cant accept days off unpaid, the maybe agency isnt for you.

If you reckon work is busier before Xmas, and you don`t get enough shifts now, then how do you think Jan and Feb will look?

If I were looking for a steady income Id be looking for full time, ASAP. Maybe youll drop a few quid on any pre-Xmas rates but a day or two stood up afterwards will soon swallow that up.

Agency suits some, but not all.

Sadly the more remote parts of the country have always been somewhat worse paid, in some areas this appears to be no longer the case though i have a mate who commutes several times a week some 40 miles out of Hull where he lives as even that distance the prospects are so much better, and one of my old colleagues used to commute once a week from Norfolk to Coventry and tramp out from there.
At one time housing costs might have reflected the lower pay in some areas, but these days that isn’t so much the case, making it harder than ever if the wages haven’t kept pace with the rapidly increasing cost of living.

If you have the money, get your artic ticket while things are quiet, work possibilities and pay will change dramatically for you in short order, cat C work can be good if you have lots of centralised distribution work on food and don’t mind the graft involved, but those jobs are not really heavy on the ground in Norfolk, an artic ticket will open hundreds more yard gates for you.

Franglais:

nynemout42:
Anywho…I like agency work as it gives a but of freedom of choice, but I cannot afford to have days off without pay.

If you cant accept days off unpaid, the maybe agency isnt for you.

If you reckon work is busier before Xmas, and you don`t get enough shifts now, then how do you think Jan and Feb will look?

If I were looking for a steady income Id be looking for full time, ASAP. Maybe youll drop a few quid on any pre-Xmas rates but a day or two stood up afterwards will soon swallow that up.

Agency suits some, but not all.

That’s what I’m afraid of…that pre-Christmas work is this thin…the January and later work will be dreadful. I had some great, consistent work but was released as they decided to back their rule that you had to have at least 1 year of driving experience to work for them. I think that’s not helping either. I have applied for a few full time places…just having to hurry up and wait for replies.

I did my initial artic training but didn’t pass the test. :frowning: I was not going to fork out another £500+ to re-test right now as I was hoping to go to work for a company that will do the training themselves and pay for me to test again. There is definitely more work and better pay for the artics…just gotta work my way in to that the hard way now!

nynemout42:
I was not going to fork out another £500+ to re-test right now as I was hoping to go to work for a company that will do the training themselves and pay for me to test again.

Unless you’ve got any specific leads on a place that offers that, I’d say that’s wildly optimistic.

Regarding re-tests, this is why a lot of the “better” driving schools offer a “guaranteed pass”, ie “free” retests if you pay upfront, PSTT do that and the place where my friend works include it as standard; both schools end up costing about the same when this is factored in.