Good News 4 Shelf Stackers

Court of Appeal says ASDA shop workers should have pay parity with warehouse workers.
Will this end “you can earn more stacking shelves, than truck driving” posts?
Correction. Supreme Court

I’m an ex-supermarket worker and part of the same claim. Asda and others have been digging their heels in on this legal fight and in fact have spent more in legal fees through 4 appeals, 8 cases and umpteen admin barriers they’ve put in place than if they just paid out the pay claim. Also the back-dated pay claim has been growing and growing since they started the fight.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I’m with Asda on this. Thing it’s checkout staff want same.pay as people in the rdcs.not shelf stacker’s.
But what ever. Is 2 different.jobs completely so should.be paid different.

Like saying a. 7.5t driver at a company should be paid same as. An artic driver at same.compmay.
2 different jobs .
I’m.on.asda side

edd1974:
I’m with Asda on this. Thing it’s checkout staff want same.pay as people in the rdcs.not shelf stacker’s.
But what ever. Is 2 different.jobs completely so should.be paid different.

Like saying a. 7.5t driver at a company should be paid same as. An artic driver at same.compmay.
2 different jobs .
I’m.on.asda side

Well, of a 7.5 to driver does more drops and more city work, o guess you’re right.
They should be paid more than an attic driver.

Of course 7.5 tonner drivers should earn more than artic drivers, the shame alone warrants a higher reward! :wink:

Bearing in mind that supermarket jobs require multi tasking from tills to shelf stacking to warehouse work as and when required what’s the big news here.
If they all like the job that much then how does the ‘warehouse to wheels’ carrot work and why the need for it.

I Have a grandson who works for a parcel delivery company who starts at 05.00 and is finished b 14.00. Self employed, but takes home 1000.00 per week. He drives a 3.5 t van. Just to let you know.

How much is the difference in wages? I’m only surprised that there is anyone who is not on minimum wage at Asda.

SWEDISH BLUE:
I Have a grandson who works for a parcel delivery company who starts at 05.00 and is finished b 14.00. Self employed, but takes home 1000.00 per week. He drives a 3.5 t van. Just to let you know.

A grand a week after paying for the van and running costs yeah right and how many drops in a shift at how many pence per drop ?.
That’s not making the case to be a till operator/shelf stacker/warehouse operative for 10 quid an hour or less.

Carryfast:

SWEDISH BLUE:

A grand a week after paying for the van and running costs yeah right and how many drops in a shift at how many pence per drop ?.
That’s not making the case to be a till operator/shelf stacker/warehouse operative for 10 quid an hour or less.

I’ve worked for these parcel firms. They say you can make £1000 a week, actually you can make more.

But its your own van and they often insist it is no older than 5 years old. Some of them want you to livery it up. If your sick you have to pay the parcel firm to cover your route.
Then you have diesel, insurance, tax, NI and all the other stuff to come out of it.

Also they can drop you whenever they want.
There is money to be had doing the game but a lot of people who went all in on buying a van and being self employed ended up worse off.

For example.
Someone that worked alongside got a van. For being self employed. Had the promise of work etc etc. Then something changed and he was offered the clear up route. Which meant he didnt have his own route but just doing what parcels got left in the warehouse. So instead of doing like 100+ parcels a day he was doing like 20-30 parcels a day over a load of different areas. Which meant less money and more diesel used.

stuwozere1:
I’m an ex-supermarket worker and part of the same claim. Asda and others have been digging their heels in on this legal fight and in fact have spent more in legal fees through 4 appeals, 8 cases and umpteen admin barriers they’ve put in place than if they just paid out the pay claim. Also the back-dated pay claim has been growing and growing since they started the fight.

I’d be curious to read the judgement on this. On the surface it looks like two different jobs to me, but I know nothing about supermarket work.

The backdated I would be against simply because a worker decided to become a shelf/stacker or a till operator and accepted the pay and conditions. I dislike retroactive pay changes in tje way I would dislike retroactive tax changes. You know what something is at the time and that’s the deal.

A store shelf stacker and warehouse picking monkey are two very different jobs

albion:

stuwozere1:

I’d be curious to read the judgement on this. On the surface it looks like two different jobs to me, but I know nothing about supermarket work.

The backdated I would be against simply because a worker decided to become a shelf/stacker or a till operator and accepted the pay and conditions. I dislike retroactive pay changes in tje way I would dislike retroactive tax changes. You know what something is at the time and that’s the deal.

There are different types of “equal”!
equalityhumanrights.com/en/ … equal-work

Re back dating pay: seems fair to me to backdate missed pay to when a claim for parity was made, but no further back. Otherwise delaying tactics to a legitimate claim will result in losses for the innocent party.