Good Deed For The Day

Going north this morning on the A1 and came up behind an RAF convoy of low loaders and flat bed trailers being pulled by white civilian plated Ivecos. I was overtaken in the 50 mph limit at Elkesley by another flat bed trailer and unit obviously with the others.

As it went past I thought the trailer was shaking around a lot and noticed the vibration had loosened the trailer chassis locker lid. I could see the ratchet straps and hooks hanging out the bottom and thought it was safest to all to try and let the driver know. Out of the limit I managed to pull alongside and use the horn to get the drivers attention which it did. He did realise I was indicating a fault to him and gave a wave of acknowledgement and slowed up slightly, I passed him and pulled in front and at the next lay by used my hazards and indicated into the lay by and pulled in to tell them the problem. They moved into lane two and steamed off, I managed to catch them again but this time one ratchet was laying in lane one and another fell out narrowly missing the following car.

I pulled alongside again and opened the window and shouted that the straps were falling out of the locker and the driver said to the passenger “it’s the locker”. Satisfied they knew what was happening I pulled in again and they slowed but still didn’t stop. You just cannot help some people, what made it worse was the vibration was caused by the air suspension being run deflated on the bump stops and that trailer and one other had no trailer reflectors fitted. We have to show time spent doing walk around checks but they appeared to of set off and checked nothing, and it needs two of them to each vehicle to achieve that standard.

If you notice two matt green ratchets on the hard shoulder A1 north either side of Blyth services you know where they came from (they were there on the way back this afternoon)