Good Agency

Morning all

Does anyone know of any decent agencies/employers in or around Gateshead so I can gain some experience. I passed my test many years ago in the Army and I’m after a career change. I’m nearly at breaking point in my current employment lol. I live 5 minutes away from Team Valley Trading Estate so if anyone knows of any employers willing to take on drivers with limited experience, I’d appreciate some advice.

Many thanks have a nice day.

I suggest you go and visit employers on your local industrial estate. Carry your documents and work gear (hi vis, boots etc). I’m a belt and braces guy so I would have a night out bag in the car as well. Be prepared to do a run immediately. It’s not likely, but best to be prepared. I’m assuming you have cpc and tacho card. If not, do that first.

Another tip as folks rarely talk about this. When you visit you’ll often be told the the person you want is in a meeting/on leave/at a funeral/to busy to see you at the moment. Always find out the name of the person you want and don’t leave until you’ve got an appointment to see them. Do not be fobbed off with “leave your details and we’ll be in touch”. They probably wont.

Make sure you’re presenting yourself in a workmanlike way. Clean, hair neat, tattoos covered, shoes clean. You certainly don’t want to wear a suit but remember that you are offering to be an ambassador to their company.

Persist, don’t give up. If the meeting ends up with “sorry we’ve got nothing at the moment” don’t wait for the inevitable “but we’ll be in touch”. Take control and tell them that you’ll be in touch eg at the end of the month. And stick to it.

It’s the easiest thing in the world to fob someone off because it’s just coming up to tea break. To the employer you may not be important. But to you, it’s the difference between paying the rent/mortgage or not. Thus the importance of persistence.

Best of luck with it, Pete

Hi and thank you for your reply. I didn’t realise people just turn up and ask to see such and such and take it from there. I thought it was all CV and covering letter nowadays. I suppose it can’t do any harm so I’ll give it go.

I’ve just been left a voicemail to phone a agency back tomorrow doing nights out of Teesport doing Tesco runs for Eddie Stobart. Anyone done this or any tips they have would be appreciated. The job is Friday-Tuesday nights.

Try Interaction agency on the team valley when I was signed on with them they got me loads of class 1work and always a decent rate

Lots of local work in this area but it’s trying to get something decent. If all else fails Pertemps and ADR are in the co op at Birtley, Pertemps have a few DHL ones also. Are you class 1 or 2? What shifts you willing to do? I noticed in the area not a lot if guys want to do weekends or nights so they might be worth a look. Blue Arrow in Newcastle were OK with me though it was different companies each night when I was there and had a couple cancelled but was found other shifts. PM me if you want. I’m in the Durham area. When I first came down from up north I went to loads of agencies and signed, soon find out what ones will work for you and what ones talk…#+"*

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I start my new job Monday. Best tip I can give is be persistent. I filled the application in and was told if don’t hear anything to come back over.Went over following week and like Pete said above I was told ah sorry “whoever” is not here ring over again next week.Well what I done was ring the NEXT day and who answered the phone was the guy I was looking for. Went over for a chat, had an induction day setup and now I’ve accepted the job.Im a newbie too so I know what you will be going through.Good luck.

Thank you ValleysTrucker and congrats on the new job. :slight_smile: