Going to the wrong place

Whilst working at Fruehauf Tamworth, a Hinckley courier arrived late in the day with 2 York axles for a workshop job, we knew him and he looked a bit miffed, the axles had come from Corby, he said “Ive been out all day on this job”

Corby-Tamworth?..

“Yeah, I picked up the axles with the paperwork and glanced at the address…”

he had looked at the customers invoice address (Fruehauf Dereham), not the delivery address (fruehauf Tamworth)

Hinckley-Corby-Dereham-Tamworth-home…lol

my boss gave me some parts for a customer and wrote the invoice out

Station rd, four oaks, Sutton Coldfield

after an hour searching sutton i rang back (no mobile phones then) and the boss checked

oh…its four ashes (near Coven/Gailey) …he said “I knew it was something o do with trees”

Post codes are a recent thing i believe… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

jessicas dad:

topmixer11:
one word for the numptys POSTCODE no excuses :exclamation:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and i bet you are one of them numptys who has only ever used a satnav… as im one of those numptys who had to use paper maps.

I’m a london bus driver, i changed companies about 3 months ago.
Been doing nights last week, when I finished I took the bus back to my old company!! :open_mouth:

rambo19:
Been doing nights last week, when I finished I took the bus back to my old company!! :open_mouth:

:laughing:

Not me but, a couple of months ago we were waiting for a container to come in (At Warrington, Roadways brings 'em, not sure where from). Turns out the driver went to the Swindon depot instead. No idea when he finally turned up.

Harry Monk:
I once went to Shotton on Teesside when I should have gone to Shotton on Deeside… couldn’t find a steel works anywhere… :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: brilliant

Didn’t go to the wrong place, but did make a 60 mile run with 6 tonnes in the trailer, got to the right destination, opened the trailer…it was [zb] empty:shock: I’d hitched the wrong trailer! :cry:

what a fantastic thread,i carnt laugh anymore,the kids think ive gone mad…im sure ive done the same but i carnt think of a time right now… :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Many delivery notes are laid out such that at the top of the page is the “invoice address” ie the address to which the invoice will be sent. Further down is the “delivery address”. Its caught me out once or twice

Last time I went to the wrong place on agency involved me not working at the particular establishment for around 6 months, and then on returning and running out to a known depot, it had closed down and moved to another estate a few miles down the road. No one had bothered to tell me it had moved of course, despite me asking as I always do when I’ve not been working out of a base for a while “Has anything moved since my last time here?”

I don’t think I did anything wrong, and acted in good faith, so no embarrassment on my part. Just one of those things you look back upon and laugh. :slight_smile:

motionlotion:
Post codes are a recent thing i believe… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

jessicas dad:

topmixer11:
one word for the numptys POSTCODE no excuses :exclamation:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and i bet you are one of them numptys who has only ever used a satnav… as im one of those numptys who had to use paper maps.

Wonder what these sat nav monkeys would do if the GPS system crashed!!
I have been to the right village, even found the right street but wrong county, what was worse I was parked in the right county over night, pre sat nav.

k21pilot:
Didn’t go to the wrong place, but did make a 60 mile run with 6 tonnes in the trailer, got to the right destination, opened the trailer…it was [zb] empty:shock: I’d hitched the wrong trailer! :cry:

I did this once at RM, and got a “two year serious” for it. :blush: :blush: “Wilful delay of mail” which can involve dismissal, so in some ways I got off lightly.
I left the trailer of mail behind, and hitched up to one full of empty cages instead (a bit of dyslexia on the numbers), and was supposed to collect empties after unloading the mail at the other end.
The destination dock staff ■■■■■■ themselves laughing when they opened the back and saw they had nowt to do, cos I was already “Backloaded with the empties”. :blush:

Warren T. Claim:
Is this a bad time to admit I thought Pontefract was in Wales■■? :blush: :unamused: :blush: :unamused:

Oh… How many at the Post Office thought “County Durham” was in Northern Ireland!" :open_mouth:

The “All Up” bag on the sorting drop frames used to be filled with crisp packets, cans, and other rubbish as well as I recall from my early days before getting my HGV licence… :smiley:

Sidevalve:
Had two lots of bulk feed on one day for two farms, only a mile apart but with similar-sounding names (well I am English! :wink: ) and inevitably the two farmers had the same surname; well it is Wales! :grimacing:

First one was a 10-tonne load, stood there ages staring at the 5-tonne bin wondering how the hell I was going to get it all in there! :blush:

Luckily the farmer turned up before I started blowing; close call though 'cos I’d got the pipes coupled up.

Best one though was years ago when I was working for Rainbows, the Nightfreight depot in Southwell, Notts. Artic pulled into the yard, puzzled driver gets out and asks “where the hell’s this place?”, looked at his notes and he was supposed to be in SOUTHALL, best thing was he’d come from Bristol!

Southwark and Suffolk also sound similar. Shows the need for actual printed out addresses eh?

rambo19:

Saw a bloke called Lewis the other week take his Mercedes to the wrong garage to fill up!

Many many years ago when I was on wagon and drags for Habitat at Wallingford oxon , had a nice run , york and harrogate on the front demount box , then box swap at elland road leeds with the other box to the city centre , all was going well untill I got to leeds to find I had a empty box ,ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , I did get a bollocking and when I ran back in the next morning from my night out they turned me back out with the full box with no trailer on for Leeds with another night out. That was fine but when I ran back in the next morning I had edinburgh and glasgow with my trailer . I just could not catch up ! what they should of done was give another driver my run and let me do a local , I think they were trying to make me pay by being out all week in a Daf 2500 with a pod on top . :laughing: I got paid for it :laughing:

Ha ha … Going back to the mid 80’s on Swifts we had a driver who had reading difficulties, he was a great guy and he didn’t want people to know but we all did and helped him as much as we could, very discretely. One particular day he not only miss read his notes, but miss heard what another driver told him was written on them and ended up in Stroud, Glos as opposed to where he should have been, Strood, Kent :laughing:
I remember another guy being sent to a place in Watford Gap and a couple of hours later phoning in because he was in Watford and couldn’t find any such area as ‘Gap’ :laughing:

A few years ago i had a play with a tautliner delivering cement from Hope, Loaded for B&Q Leicester,got there and was nearly tipped when the guy on the fork truck noticed two pallets of post crete,he said “we don’t sell that here” id only rocked up at focus,and B&Q was 500 yards down the road. When i finally got there 3 others were in front of me, Bricks blocks and flowers. It was supposed to be a nice little load on a Saturday. i wasn’t a happy bunny :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
Ha ha … Going back to the mid 80’s on Swifts we had a driver who had reading difficulties, he was a great guy and he didn’t want people to know but we all did and helped him as much as we could, very discretely. One particular day he not only miss read his notes, but miss heard what another driver told him was written on them and ended up in Stroud, Glos as opposed to where he should have been, Strood, Kent :laughing:
I remember another guy being sent to a place in Watford Gap and a couple of hours later phoning in because he was in Watford and couldn’t find any such area as ‘Gap’ :laughing:

was that ‘mucka’ ford on the stroud by any chance?