Going to swiss for 1st time

hi folkes, im loading in the mornin for zuirich never been to swiss before,was goin to go from shuttle-jabbeke- brussles-lux-metz-strasbourg. should i cross into germany or carry on through france into swiss? what do i need to do at the border custom/T forms etc how do i pay for road tolls? weight and height restrictions any advice would be helpfull thanks

Only been once myself,i went through the border at st louis,park up and do customs and for tax you have to take your log book to,i think its the office over by where you enter back into france they will give you a card i think you then put that into the card machine outside and then you pay when you come back out(sorry if any of this is incorrect,it was a couple of years ago)also i think you will have to go down to dover first on your way out,to do customs,no doubt someone with better knowledge will correct me.

Thats about it! make sure your trailer is under 4 mtrs high as well as you will get a fine for even 5 cm over height.

You still need to “do customs” either at Lord Warren or occasionally at the Shuttle, depending on your EUR 1 and agents. Original Log Book essential, invoices and/or CHIEF document

Route thru Belgium, Lux, France, St Louis, Basel ,over the top to Zurich.
I haven’t been for a long time so I think France is mainly autoroute.
Brussels Ring= A4 Namur
Enter Lux= E25 Metz
Enter France= E25
E25 = Strasbourg
E25=Mulhouse - Colmar
Enter Swiss
Basel today is Fog ,snow & ice. :laughing:

it all depends on where your swiss agent is as to where you enter swiss the company i used to drive for used Koblenz/waldshut smallish but very helpful german and swiss customs and they all speek good english and are very good and of course it keeps the swiss tax down abit

just got my paperwork, not going to zurich, load going to a place called ecublen and i’v to enter swiss at a bit called vallrobe. just as i was looking at my map load got postponed till weather clears in scotish borders, hopefully go tomorow

take all relevent paperwork to swiss customs office for the truck so you can get you vehicle card then put the card in the machine ALONG WITH YOUR MILEAGE :exclamation: many of us have forgotten that and had to walk back to truck :blush: :blush:
no driving in swiss at night and i think there’s a weight limit lower than in EU :question: somebody with more knowledge will confirm or deny this

welshboyinspain:
i think there’s a weight limit lower than in EU :question: somebody with more knowledge will confirm or deny this

no not anymore either pay tax @ below 38t or below 40t i cant remember what it was 28t? so far in,then a extra permit for over weight too long ago and tax was 25 swiss f aday or 40f for 2 thats about all i can remember

malcolmj:
it all depends on where your swiss agent is as to where you enter swiss the company i used to drive for used Koblenz/waldshut smallish but very helpful german and swiss customs and they all speek good english and are very good and of course it keeps the swiss tax down abit

My favourite grens along with Vallorbe. Human beings in uniforms :stuck_out_tongue:

40 tonne, same as Germany and France

Night driving is “frowned upon” :wink:

tam:
just got my paperwork, not going to zurich, load going to a place called ecublen and i’v to enter swiss at a bit called vallrobe. just as i was looking at my map load got postponed till weather clears in scotish borders, hopefully go tomorow

Hi tam,
In my day Vallorbe was a nice small border, but I’m not sure what it’s like now.

Back then, the French officers seemed glad to see a truck, cos it gave them something to do.
I’d say that the officers on the French side of Vallorbe were almost friendly, bordering on being almost nice. :open_mouth:
(I don’t think I was dreaming either!! :grimacing: :wink: )

thanks for all your replies, all very helpfull. one more thing, is the night time driving frowned upon if your carrying chilled goods with the fridge running?

tam:
thanks for all your replies, all very helpfull. one more thing, is the night time driving frowned upon if your carrying chilled goods with the fridge running?

the only trucks that can legally run at night are the swiss post office

IF you look in the stickys there is a link for swiss there which will be a help
you need to have snow tyres and snow chains at least ONE pair SOME TIMES
they have the shield for TWO PAIRS to be used , which means you can park up
when you only have the ONE PAIR, andyou may find that a charge is raised for parking
on the motorway services in some places in SWISS, do not speed the fines are high,
40tn and 4.00m only allowed, as well, if you wear glasses it is law to carry a spare
pair with you,

do you need to carry your log book at all times after you’ve got the red I.D card? my boss has just taken mine back into the office

tam:
do you need to carry your log book at all times after you’ve got the red I.D card? my boss has just taken mine back into the office

Yes you do, get it back!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16589