Going Self-employed

Right now I’m on DriverHires umbrella nonsense as they didn’t offer me PAYE unless its paid montly (something I can’t do for money reasons), the other option the office gave me was being self-employed or this NOVA thing. I’ve been told to stay the hell away from NOVA so the only option is self-employment. Where do I need to start looking to go self-employed as that other thread about umbrella companies has got me worried.

Easiest way is to phone up the HMRC Self Employed Helpline and register for self employment. Then its just a matter of keeping a basic set of books. HMRC regularly run basic book-keeping workshops at Business Links. An alternative is to find a book-keeper to do it for you.

You may find it more advantageous to set up a Ltd Company. I suggest that half an hour spent with an accountant to get advice on the pros and cons of each route would be time and money well spent. It can be gone into on a forum but there’s a lot to post and when people start sticking in their tuppence worth everything gets confusing.

I doubt Driver Hire will use you under self-assessment.

Agencies won’t use self employed, but all I know will use you as a limited company, with public liability insurance. Ltd registration can be done online , 30 mins, £15. Jus google companies house or something. Expect your accountant to charge £500 annually which is neglible as it comes off your tax , you make sure your receipts are neat , I have a a4 folder, with the clear plastic sleeves, 1 for each month, and to be honest there’s never a lot in them , 2-5 invoices, few fuel receipts, and anything else I can put through, job done. If you have a few firms that you sub to direct you can jus register for self employment on line, annual tax return on line yourself etc, it’s a doddle.