Going over hours

Hi all, started my driving job 4 weeks ago monday, general haulage, loving it. Only thing that worries me is going over hours, I’ve only done it once or twice, (we get told at the end of the week of any infringements) but I went over a 4.5 yesterday just because of slow moving traffic and no where to stop. What are you supposed to do? I came out of london at 4pm, big mistake going into london at that time but I had one drop to do. So the traffic was barely moving the whole time, I had 3 1/2 hours left and ended up going over by quite a bit, just cant see a way round it though, if the traffic is crawling at 2mph and theres no where to stop what can you do?

Don’t worry about it man. These things happen, if they do when you stop at the next safest point do two print outs. On the back of each just write the reason you went over time. Include the location and time too, hand one copy into your office and keep the other one in your truck in a safe place.

It is well known if you are going in to London or leaving London that you take the 45 minute tachograph break prior to going in or coming out, as there are no stopping places due to the double red line no parking on the roads, if the delivery is going to be late, tough, so be it , if the tacho rules are broken on a regular basis, it will cause a problem on the operators scoring system and fines for the driver and operator .
It is obvious that a capital city will be gridlocked daily, so planning a break is crucial .

Just do not make a habit of it and do as stated = no problems - the regs do allow for this sort of thing

I had the same thing the other day. Had a delivery 2 miles from the end of the M40. Had 2 and a half hours driving time left as I passed Beaconsfield so thought I would chance it.

By the time I got to the delivery I was on 5 hours and 4 minutes. Had a word with them at the delivery and clocked my break just outside in the coned off area they had.

London being London sometimes you can fly through, one day I did 3.5 miles in 12 minutes. Other times its gridlocked, 7 miles in nearly 3.5 hours.

Every other time I have taken a break before going in, the one time I chance it I end up going over.

Printout now safely stored under the dash mat.