Going for It

Hey guys

I’m stuck in an office job, which I can’t stand.

I am waiting for the licence forms to come through the post and I’ll be going for my Class 2 as soon as I can.

Is what I want to know is, who enjoys being out on the road?

Have any of you made the change to lorry driving after doing something else, such as office work? Are you glad that you made the change?

What are the best aspects of driving for a living?

Would you recommend a career change?

I know the hours will be longer but if I have to spend many more days pretending to care about corporate rubbish I think I’ll shoot myself!

Any good news stories are very welcome.

Cheers

Good luck with getting your licences. :slight_smile:

I know how you feel. I work in an office, but I got my Cat C and CE licences through the same company, purely to help out with moving vehicles. They don’t ask me to drive as much as I’d like, and since I’ve started doing a bit of driving, I find the days go SO slow whilst in an office. An hour in a truck feels like 20 minutes in an office! The work is easy, and very laid-back, but it can be so boring, and the bureaucracy is very frustrating. The firm took me on when I left school, and gave me an opportunity to earn what at the time was a pretty good wage for a 17-year-old, but now with things costing more, I’m coming to terms that I could earn a few quid an hour more by driving a truck, something that I know is much more enjoyable. Working up the ladder is impossible, as there are too many people in a very small company, and you’ll never get higher than the director or manager, plus where I am now isn’t somewhere I want to be for the rest of my life. I wouldn’t hesitate getting a full-time driving job, but at the minute I just can’t, although in the summer I can make a proper decision. The good thing is that whilst I’m working here, I’m at least getting some experience, which will no doubt come in handy if it should come to finding a full-time job, as generally speaking, haulage companies like you to have a couple of years experience under your belt before they take you on.

I love being on the road, especially at night. I don’t know why, but that’s a weird one, I just think it’s a good atmosphere. If you enjoy driving, then why not :smiley:

It could be a case of that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side though. My tradesman mates always say that they’d kill to wear a suit and work in a nice, warm office. I work in an office, but I’d much rather be out and about. Even so, it’s not a nice position to be in, where you’re dreading going to work every day, so I’d recommend that you consider making a change :slight_smile:

It took me all over Europe, from being paid to sit on a beach for a weekend or waiting for a load home .
Seeing glaciers, mountain passes, valley gorges, big rivers, medieval castles and cities pay to see.
Abroad you can comfortably do over 500 miles a day on jam free roads and not be tired.
Mingling with the locals or see a concert or fiesta when trucks are banned on religious festivals .
Tramping for months without coming home .
Doing the laundry at pit stops .
I learnt to speak Portuguese ,Italian, Spanish and French in my work .

I’m not a HGV driver yet but I have been a driver since 17 ( driving sprinters, transits, masters etc) and done a mixture of local, long distance and local multi drop jobs and I love it! Always have no matter how crappy the job appears I’d prefer that over an office any day! the only exception was when I was leaving school and couldn’t drive I spent a few years in a commercial workshop qualifying as a fitter and hated it from 9 - 12 months in and as stated above there is nothing worse then working a job you hate which fuelled my move to transport and never regretted it just looking forward to finishing acquiring my C licence and getting to work in the HGV side of the industry now :slight_smile: Ryan