Going Digital

The next lorry we are getting will have a digital tachograph. Apart from the digital tachograph card what else will we need as this will be the first digital lorry.

Thanks for your help?

As an operator you need to be able to download from card and head and have a system to save and recall the data. Oh yea and operators smart card.

I just went digi also and have bought a ki from tachomaster to do all that is required, not used it yet as waiting for operators card.
Will let you know what the kit is like in a few days.

What is the operator smart card for?
Where does go?
Does the driver, have carry it in the lorry?

dougal1:
What is the operator smart card for?
Where does go?
Does the driver have carry it in the lorry?

You need the company card to register the company to the tachograph and to download the data from the VU amongst other things.

The driver has his own driver card and does not need to carry the company card in the vehicle, the company card cannot be used by the driver to record the driving activities.

You need to download data from two things, the driver’s card and the vehicle unit (VU)

I use one of these, a Digidown Plus. It was about £200.

Every so often I plug my driver card into it, and every so often I plug it into the VU and download the data from there (28 and 56 days are the requirements). You need the Operator’s Card to download the VU, you just stick it in the tachograph exactly like a driver card to do the VU download.

Then I plug it into my PC at home and download it onto there.

I use a system called Tachomaster to do the analysis, it’s £1 a week. Google it, you get a 28 day free trial.

I’m not sure if this is the best way to do it but it works for me and it will keep VOSA happy when they come sniffing around.

I use optac, although around £1000 I find it great, it comes with digital download tool, software, chart scanner and allows me to scan analog charts, cards and download vehicle data, it then allows me to analyse it all and produce driver letters with any infringements on. It’s great if you have a few vehicles and multiple drivers.