Going back in time scania 144

ecilop:
Few things to check Si.
first is it a 4x2 or 6x2… if its a 6x2 tag check cross members very carefully these have a habit of cracking.

second… check the bell housing and look under the turbo manifolds the bolts have a nasty habit of working loose and if left can mean a new bell housing, tell tail signs oil leaking from top of the bell housing areas and runs down the sides of the block, can have been washed off etc so keep a eye on that, it isn’t a very hard job to do but its a good day to by yourself to take off and re fit etc, if all goes well that is.

third, mileage pending? for what it costs have the bottom end rebuilt or do it yourself, a good mornings work that’s all to replace big ends, mains etc, gaskets and maybe oil pump, and new oil, cost of bearings and gaskets around £300. ISH… keep the oil spinner clean " we do ours at every inspection anyway same as fuel & oil filters,

rest normal Scania probs, wiring by steering box. cab bushes, and wiring on n/side esp for the range change apart from that its all good, :wink:

its a 4 x 2

• ive got 3 months engine/gearbox/rear axle warranty so hopefully a little time to find any faults :wink: :smiley: as soon as i get her its going in for an inspection before she hits the road

There is a nice R580 05 reg for sale at dpsuppliesandservices Great Yarmouth, mileage is a bit high, but very tidy looking motor. I can’t pit a link up as I’m on me I-pad.

From the front view, the paint colour and scheme looks like the ones they used to sell for a while at the MGF garage on the A140 - but it’s got a West Country registration so obviously not.

Looks a tidy motor.

Glad to hear the mag is going I no you been trying to replace it for few month.

Let’s hope the New whip gives some good luck they are a good old tool got 4 2000 v8 and drivers been offerd New motors but won’t part with them clearly some reason behind it. Always been very reliable helps most of them had same driver from New.

Majority’s been round clock twice old V reg got 2.4mil and does 44t everyday still

Won’t go far wrong with them and if you need someone local ish repair wise no a lad who works for scania but does is Own work weekends and obsessed with older scania got few old ones just as toys lol

looks like its the ecu thats the problem on maggie, if any see 's a cheap ecu for a 480 dxi 55 reg magnum pm me please :grimacing: :wink:

You only need to look at the owner driver and small hauliers especially on box’s old scanias and volvos seem very popular.
The thing I like about the old 4 series scania is they are idiot proof no silly buttons no annoying bleeps just a good old motor.

The 05 plate used to belong to an owner driver on for Peter Green from evercreech, nr shepton mallet it think.