GMC Astro in Europe-M/E

Apologies when there is a thread where this US-truck is discussed/pictured, but I would
like to give this model more attention. Herewith two examples from Dutch-tractors.

In 1975 these tractors were imported and stored a long time in Rotterdam. Through the
tradingcompany of Van Vliet in Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel two transporters from Eindhoven
acquired them. Both had (obvious?) DD-power and gained a lot of show-items.

A. Maessen was a wellknown/old removal-company (see thread “Büssing with underfloor”)
and L. van Stekelenborg a company transporting meat for the adjacent abattoir. By the
way, the trailer is from Ever/van Eck of Lexmond.

Both pictures were made around 1981

GMC-Astro-Maessen-1976.jpg

Here are some GMC Astros. Some have 9-speed (1st pic) & others 13-speed Fullers (2nd pic). I’m sure there were other variations on the gearbox theme!

A-J, a good idea! GMC’s (Astro 95 Mk1 and 2) where very good and I was often amazed
that GMC Antwerp/Rotterdam were not more active in persuading the market. I remember
the two Dutch being in the Rotterdam-port and by that time Van de Weghe of Antwerp was
very keen on having an Astro…which they finally purchased. I don’t know who were involved
or sold but I remember this GMC frequently on our ‘kasseien’ and roads.

I also recall AAFES (just as Naafi, from who Lowe’s of Paddock Wood got their transport) had
some GMC’s Astro but on the net I can only find the Wiljan Derks copyrights on that

Evening all, GMC Astros, there were quite a few in Europe.

The US forces ones, mainly with ultra short day cabs, and a dreary Grey drab paint job. Often seen dormant, and lurking on Britains East Anglian desolate lay byes.

Wauthiers at Carvin supplied the Leferbvre family TAF vehicles, (and somewhere I have written about both this family, and their spectacular lorries).

I do not know much about those operated in Holland and Belgium, but Im trying to recall the French operator who subcontracted to VIT with two Astros. No rear wings, and painted blue and silver.

I think that all must have been Detroit powered, and from the TAF one I drove beautifully balanced as a 6x4, and the power delivery with a 13 speed Fuller, was just like a soprano reaching the highest possible note…then came the next gear, and the octaves rose again, and again, so unlike the “lug ability” of the Maxidine Mack…no faster overall, and probably a lot more expensive in fuel…but somehow magical, and totally ethereal in the way it rocketed with all the power of a full orchestra down the road! A real, drivers lorry, that sat you “womb like” in its secure surroundings, and just devoured the kilometres…a pleasure palace on wheels…fancy being paid for such delight!!

Yes, I suppose that I quite like Astros…Yes I do!

Cheerio for now…a little Bollinger may calm my nerves!!!

@Saviem…Indeed NAAFI (US-army) had several on their way toi several bases in Northern Europe.

Wauthier is unknown for me, but I look forward to what will be posted nextcoming.

Herewith an overview with the models, 1978

I just found a Wauthier GMC Astro, so I put it where it belongs!

Wauthier-Carvin-France.jpg

Herewith a photo of my Astro with Detroit V8 320 BHP engine and Allison automatic gearbox, brand new in Antwerp with a Dorsey flatbed.

I came across this while trawling the internet but I must appologise as there was no information to credit the picture too and it being such a good photo it would be a shame not to share it and it is British registered

cheers Johnnie

That’s my one’s sister. We had two on the fleet.

This one was initially driven by George Fardell.

Jazzandy: Dorsey was quite rare here on the continent…just as Great Dane, Utility, Trailmobile
Strick (well TIP did good business), Vulcan and so many other companies eager to BE in Europe.

Nice discoveries now pop-up! I remembered a leaflet on the Astro Glider and scanned the cover,
perhaps later more. Gliders were common/popular in the country of Uncle Sam when you had
the powertrain/driveline. Such a kit came with a new cab and fully instrumented, a front-axle
with wheels and tires, brakes and a new frame. I have no idea on the costs, but it should be a
considerable lower one as you ‘had’ your (probably more or less) ‘new’ engine and driveline but
also the working hours to have the assembly pay off. Leaflet is from 1978 by the way.

Alex

Hey, ERF or Entourage, do someone know, there was a yellow rigid in the surroundings of Limburg a 15 years ago ■■?
Or was it a Dutch only once seen.

Eric,

En-Tour-Age:
Nice discoveries now pop-up! I remembered a leaflet on the Astro Glider and scanned the cover,
perhaps later more. Gliders were common/popular in the country of Uncle Sam when you had
the powertrain/driveline. Such a kit came with a new cab and fully instrumented, a front-axle
with wheels and tires, brakes and a new frame. I have no idea on the costs, but it should be a
considerable lower one as you ‘had’ your (probably more or less) ‘new’ engine and driveline but
also the working hours to have the assembly pay off. Leaflet is from 1978 by the way.

Alex

Evening all, Alex, the “Glider Kit” was a concept never explored in Europe. Over here we worked vehicles over a time cycle, (Tax incentives to purchase new, and offset them against company profits)…if you made any profit!

And the general European attitude around “age expired” vehicles, (non more so than in Great Britain, where average age dropped in the 80s to 28months)!! Commercial suicide, as we now see!

I remember when KW showed a K100 Aerodyne at the `77 Frankfurt Show, and boasted about its 1.5 million KM “first life”, and the German Hauliers walked away, wondering who would drive such an old lorry!

I expect you remember the Mack “Gliders”, Cab, with all trim, and wiring in place ,instruments, steel, or alloy chassis, front axle, suspension, full cooling system, steering box, exhaust(s), wheels and tyres.) All painted…then you slid your engine, back end underneath…and away you went!

The theory was that the complete rig would cost about 50% of new cost…but of course corners were cut…and some “right animals” emerged. And you had to be carefull, because some States re registered in the year of conversion, while others made the operator stick to his old registration…great fun when you wer buying them!!!

Perhaps a little Bollinger will sooth away some memories of disasterous near misses with Glider Kit specials!!!

Cheerio for now,

Saviem:

En-Tour-Age:

Alex

Evening all, Alex, the “Glider Kit” was a concept never explored in Europe. Over here we worked vehicles over a time cycle, (Tax incentives to purchase new, and offset them against company profits)…if you made any profit!

And the general European attitude around “age expired” vehicles, (non more so than in Great Britain, where average age dropped in the 80s to 28months)!! Commercial suicide, as we now see!

I remember when KW showed a K100 Aerodyne at the `77 Frankfurt Show, and boasted about its 1.5 million KM “first life”, and the German Hauliers walked away, wondering who would drive such an old lorry!

I expect you remember the Mack “Gliders”, Cab, with all trim, and wiring in place ,instruments, steel, or alloy chassis, front axle, suspension, full cooling system, steering box, exhaust(s), wheels and tyres.) All painted…then you slid your engine, back end underneath…and away you went!

The theory was that the complete rig would cost about 50% of new cost…but of course corners were cut…and some “right animals” emerged. And you had to be carefull, because some States re registered in the year of conversion, while others made the operator stick to his old registration…great fun when you wer buying them!!!

Perhaps a little Bollinger will sooth away some memories of disasterous near misses with Glider Kit specials!!!

Cheerio for now,

I know it may be a little “off thread” but I recall at the time in the early 70’s when the 6bhp per ton became a requirement i.e. 180 LXB Gardners were down rated to 30:5 tons gvw from been able to operate at 32 tons my old Pal Malc Woodhouse Snr.bought a couple of “glider chassis” Atkinson Borderers from the factory and had them fitted with recon’d 180LXB’s and registered as 32 tonners before the deadline date !! Cheers Bewick.

Hey Saviem, the only gilder kids we had were for the C35 Citroën van, which the front train was used as base for a new market van :smiley:
Or a second hand ch number loant for life :smiley:
An American has a look for people, but drive it in Europe and you know why. For long haul it can be a bit nice till you have to visit an old customer in the middle of the city. :blush:
They had their best time here as the Europians were not strong enough for the job.
Even in off road the Europians took compleet over from the '70’s on, even as the drivelines had stronger points.

Eric,

@Eric…the yellow-rigid might have been an ex-Ryder-rental?

ERF-Continental:
@Eric…the yellow-rigid might have been an ex-Ryder-rental?

Thanks, yes maybe, was Ryder-rental in Europe ■■? all I remember was, it pulled a low loader remorque.

Eric,