Glasses and driving

if like me you have to wear glasses when driving, they tend to get damaged or scartched more often than not, now my current set were getting done, repaired then a few times so i thought i would see how much it would cost me to get a new pair while i was on holiday in bulgaria.

so off i go to the local optician in the town, what a supprise i had. the cost of eye test £6 but that would come off the price of glasses if i get new ones. so had the test done they checked my old glasses and then told me how far out they were, not much by the way, so off to choose some new frames, found a good strong pair by jeep so went and ordered the lens, they came with anti scartch film and anti glare as well, and was i in for a shock!!!

so new frames with new lens for £75!!! my last pair in the uk cost me near £200 and that was 2 yrs ago, so the moral of the story is when your abroad on holiday just go and see how much you can save!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mate, check out glasses direct website. For work gegs they’re on the money, 2 pairs for about £50, including lenses.
Of course, you still need an eye test/prescription, but I think they only need doing every 2 years?

I wear glasses ( -3.0), but in the last year I’ve found that them weekly contact lenses to be spot on. Supposedly they last a week before you change them, the ones I’ve got in right now have been in about 3 weeks. I can sleep in them without problems.
I now wear glasses for maybe 2 or 3 days between contact lenses.

Hope this helps.

glassesdirect.co.uk/

directsight.co.uk/

Alright for work.

I get mine at my local optician, more expensive maybe, but I’ve had glasses repaired foc by them before now, and had adjustments made just walking in off the street, no appoitment. sometimes service costs :wink:

I switched to contacts as I need to wear safety glasses at work and find it far better all round for driving. £13 per month on direct debit at specsavers and that includes eye tests and free glasses from there lower price range.

I have to wear glasses now for driving - the doc who did the medical told me that my eyesight was fine for cars, but would need glasses for HGV - I ended up with it for all categories on my licence!

The problem I have is sunglasses - my prescription in the right eye is v strong, but the left is plain glass - apparently this stops me from having reactolite or prescription sunglasses. So any ideas how I can have sunglasses on top of my normal glasses? I’ve seen these overglasses you can get, has anybody got any experience of these, and if they work OK?

Thanks
Gary

I wear clip-ons over my specs all year round, because I can’t tolerate bright light when driving - especially concrete motorway. I have no problem with them, finding them very easy to flip up if it becomes a bit gloomy. Only possible drawback is some may think you look a bit of a prat, but that’s their problem as far as I’m concerned.

I usually pay about £7 and they last about six months before they become scratched.

Do make sure that the soft rubber coating on the clips (legs) is always intact, otherwise over time the specs’ lenses will get scratched.

20 20 vision here … goodbye useless thread

cav551:
I wear clip-ons over my specs all year round, because I can’t tolerate bright light when driving - especially concrete motorway. I have no problem with them, finding them very easy to flip up if it becomes a bit gloomy. Only possible drawback is some may think you look a bit of a prat, but that’s their problem as far as I’m concerned.

I usually pay about £7 and they last about six months before they become scratched.

Do make sure that the soft rubber coating on the clips (legs) is always intact, otherwise over time the specs’ lenses will get scratched.

I used to wear a massive pair of aviators over my specs, worked fine.

Now I use contacts. They’re good but my eyes tend to dry out. Gonna go back to specs and prescription sunglasses when I start driving, much comfier.

rockape2620:

so why would the thread be useless? if you can’t say anything constructive probably better you don’t bother typing anythlng then :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

wildfire:

rockape2620:

so why would the thread be useless? if you can’t say anything constructive probably better you don’t bother typing anythlng then :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

+1 Wildfire you posted my thoughts for me.

Gary, have you spoken to Specsavers about the issue? I’ve been with them many years and find them very good. BTW, they call them “reactions” nowadays :smiley:

OP. Same topic, different subject (work that one out): I’m having dental implants done in Hungary for exactly the same reason. About 50% of UK price which x 4 = a lot of money.

scaniason:
I have to wear glasses now for driving - the doc who did the medical told me that my eyesight was fine for cars, but would need glasses for HGV - I ended up with it for all categories on my licence!

The problem I have is sunglasses - my prescription in the right eye is v strong, but the left is plain glass - apparently this stops me from having reactolite or prescription sunglasses. So any ideas how I can have sunglasses on top of my normal glasses? I’ve seen these overglasses you can get, has anybody got any experience of these, and if they work OK?

Thanks
Gary

Prescription sunglasses shouldn’t be a problem, they are literally a second set of glasses but dipped in a coating, don’t see any reason why you can’t have prescription sunglasses. Not sure about reaction lenses.

I don’t know why they are a problem exactly - when I had my last lot made, it was something to do with the imbalance between the two eyes. They had to use some special glass for the right one so that it wasn’t 3 inches thick - as the left one is plain glass, I’d have been walking along with my head permanently leaning to the right!

I’ll pop into Specsavers and see what they can recommend - as I only had new glasses back in January, and they were £300 then, I’m not in any hurry to splash out again!

I’m blaming the difference in my eyes as to why I have such crap days reversing sometimes :wink: :smiley:

Gary

i got my last set from lensway online cost me about 40 quid like you lads my problem is sunglasses i need to sort something out with that low winter sun on the way its a nightmare the misses wants me to get contacts or lasser eye just dont fancy lasser eye and the thought of stumbling around trying to put contacts in the cab while out on the rd

I have very dark pescription sunglasses from Specsavers, absolutely brilliant.

I alway carry a spare pair with me, I never use my best pair for work, my main work specs (£12 online) have sprung hinges. Which is ideal when your wrestling with a curtain pole on a windy day, and it smacks you around the head :astonished:

I have 2 pairs 1 with a small tint on & thinned down glass then a pair of prescription sun glasses again the glass is thinned down

My right eye not too bad but it is my left eye

I have an eye test free every year ( mam has glaucoma ) the problem I have is my face is small so have to get kids so have to be very careful as dont really want them with “barbie or action man” on the side :laughing:

scaniason:

The ■■■■■■■ at the DVLA did this to me too, so I sent it back and got this (see bottom half)
DLComparison by macplaxton, on Flickr

The only problem was that 4 years later it went in for a photocard update (10 year expiry) and it came back across all groups again AND the ■■■■■■■ never returned my old one (as requested and SASE supplied) :unamused:

One day I want my license to look like that!

Failing everything, get a cheap second set and go to a motor factors for a can of spray tint :sunglasses:

scaniason:

with my 1st medical for the intial licence & test I only had the 01 code against my HGV entitlement.
When the doc did the medical at 45yrs, he landed me with the 01 code against ALL catagories :imp: