GLASGOW

Getting mixed reviews on here regarding work in Glasgow, some saying there is plenty as it is the distribution hub of Scotland, others < 6 years experience > saying there is nothing about ■■? Can anyone shed some light on this? CHEERS.

I suppose it all depends on your expectations and what kind of work you want to do. There are no decent jobs out there that pay good money. The only jobs out there just now are either through agencies who are usually full of empty promises of plenty of work and great money. The other is doing multi drop in an artic for pallet networks. Nobody really wants to do that kind of work or just can’t hack it. That’s why most of them are always looking for drivers. Even then, most want minimum 2 years experience. But there is no harm in trying.

I haven’t had any luck in Glasgow either. The agencies don’t even want to register me, don’t know if this has anything to do with my gender but I’m having a really tough time finding something too. Beginning to wonder if getting my licence was worth it as Im still stuck in my crappy dental job. Sorry to hijack your post. :confused: I hope you have better luck than me in securing work.

Surely there must be plenty work in Glasgow. I’ve not driven a wagon since the start of the year and I get two agencies texting and calling me every week or so asking to come back?

david i got work after 5 months of really hard trying … i work now driving class 2 for grahams dairies they take new drivers and pays no bad … its hard hard hard though and the hours are crap , and they are alwasy looking for staff :smiley: hopethat helps

I usually get offered about 2 or 3 different jobs per week now through various agencies. All who didn’t want to know me but the minute I got my first shift it all changed. I get asked to take an artic down to Liverpool usually every week, right now I’m trunking to Manchester every night and I even had Currie European call me lmao.

There’s sod all in Glasgow just now.

But anyway, driving’s a mug’s game… I would strongly advise anyone wanting to go into it to stop and think twice…

There’s hardly any jobs going, even for experienced guys (let alone new drivers). Then let’s say by some stroke of luck you do manage to land a gig… you’re most likely to be offered shocking hourly rates for the work you do (and it’s likely to be proper graft too, especially if it’s class 2).

Add on top of this, that you’ll be forever generally treated like a 3rd class citizen at every place you go to because you’re “just a driver” (for example, being ignored at RDCs, or banished to separate “driver’s” waiting rooms round the back at big companies, so you’re kept well away from their “respectable” customers and clientel, i.e. those for whom the main entrance lounge is not “forbidden”)

Not to mention, unworkable EU red tape/regulations and tacho laws which are constantly being made more and more difficult to work with/understand - giving you just 1 extra little thing to worry about if your day wasn’t stressful enough already…

I used to love the game, but after around 6 years of graft I’m seriously considering calling it a day, and trying to learn a new skill. For every 5 years’ work you put in, you’ll probably age at least 10 (if not more) in this line of work.

Talk about being treated badly, I had words with a little bloke from Manchester last night when he spoke to me in a way that I didn’t appreciate and he thought twice about me being that little young trunk driver… :laughing:

Isn’t really a lot here just now,got to got all over for work.I agree with the post above about the crapness of this buisness now,with the cpc and the driving regs hoops we jump through I’ve just about had enough.the class 1 rates are terriable,I honestly belive a infested ■■■■■■ is worth more than us in the pecking order of life