Glasgow fruit market

Anybody remember the man “wee jimmy” I think his name was,he used to nip round with your p/work to the relevant customer’s and bring you back a coffee/tea,would be early 90,s

there was a few wee jimmys along with a wee tam that worked in glasgow market

He didn’t work there as such.he was about 65-70 at the time…he used to run round wi yer p/work…used to bung him a fiver for his trouble…a few of our drivers and other companies done the same

I used to load from there Blockairn Road Glasgow, Allways for the fruit market on T.V.T.E. Gateshead, IIRC, You had to lock your motor up when going to book in for your load, There was a lot of blokes knocking about that looked a bit dodgey, It was a quick load once you started, But I was off like a shot once I was sheeted & ready to go, Regards Larry.

I know what you mean.if you had to chase up the stacker driver you dare not take your eyes of trailer if you had a c/sider,not so bad if you pulled a fridge…that applied to most market’s.always somebody out to make a quick buck :smiley:

graeme1970:
I know what you mean.if you had to chase up the stacker driver you dare not take your eyes of trailer if you had a c/sider,not so bad if you pulled a fridge…that applied to most market’s.always somebody out to make a quick buck :smiley:

Aye the T.V.T.E. Was just as bad, Buyers coming with little slips of paper & getting stuff off your motor, You had to have eyes in your arse to keep tabs on them, Then when you went to get your tickets signed they totted up the figures on these bits of paper & they allways reckoned you were short of boxes,But as soon as you mentioned phoning the law the soon changed their minds, I hated the bloody job when carrying fruit, But of course it was a return load which got you home, I recall one instance when they said there was 2 damadged boxes of apples that I loaded from London, So I rang my gaffer who said just tell them to signg for two boxes short & bring them so called damaged ones back to the depot because at the end of the day he said they would have to claim for them off the insurance so If you had to pay you might as well have them, Regards Larry.

Ye Larry used to have the same problems. When I started doing distance that’s all we done was mkts down mainly London mkts(with spuds) then scotch mkts backup or if a Friday night it would be a milk run. :smiley: ,I was young and daft then…remember loading Jaffa oranges out o Pembroke docks once for Glasgow mkt …got to MKT done my drops & had 2 extra plts left,double checked p/work,everything A OK…what a result…made some extra beer tokens :smiley: :wink:

I and my workmates had a “Plan B” for those alleged missing boxes- we would tell the checker that we would have to go to a phone box to ask our boss what to do, then, after standing around the corner having a ■■■, we would come back to the checker and tell him that our boss had instructed us to bring the entire delivery back to the yard for examination. Always worked, especially when you were blocking their loading bay with the keys in your pocket!