Glasgow Area driving agencies - who does what?

I’m looking to get back into driving after a 10 year (alternative career) break, (and please don’t all shout at me at once “DON’T DO IT!”) and was just wondering what kind of Class 1 work was on offer from driving agencies in the Glasgow/West of Scotland area?
In my 13 years driving before I threw in the towel (BTW 5 of those 13 years were as an OD), I did mainly container work, trunking and occasional tramping, along with curtainsiders and whisky CLV’s.
I have mainly seen adverts for retail RDC work doing store deliveries and multi-drop, which is not entirely my cup of tea, but I guess I wouldn’t say never. Just wondered if anyone on here has worked for any of the agencies in Scotland, what kind of work you were offered, and which ones you think are the best.
P.S. I’m also looking to start my CPC training and would be interested on any advice/input on what training centres in this area are any good.

Working with Transline Falkirk in ASDA store delivery - easy job. Looking for CPC training around Glasgow or Edinburgh as well. Most of the companies are fully booked for Jan and Feb.

Cheers awreez

Yeah, I suspect could probably manage supermarket stuff, I’ve just never done it before. There’s a Sainsbury’s RDC in East Kilbride (DHL I think) which is not far away from here and Wincanton are based in the same estate. I think DriverHire (among others) supply both of them with drivers.

Don’t think Wincanton are in EK anymore. They done the distribution for Sommerfeld but they are long gone now. Unless Wincanton have somewhere else in EK I’ve never heard of before.

You could sign up with Manpower and Driver Hire.What about trying Carntyne Transport,their motors look in good order when I see them on the A9.The wages havent changed much in the last 10 years.

alamcculloch:
You could sign up with Manpower and Driver Hire.What about trying Carntyne Transport,their motors look in good order when I see them on the A9.The wages havent changed much in the last 10 years.

Driving with Carntyne would be a bit like sleeping with the enemy. When I was an OD they tried to undercut me on my CLV Whisky work for J&B. When Gray Bros. (who I subbied for) wound up, Carntyne gobbled up the work. One of the reasons I quit as an OD was I knew that I would lose all that kind of work when Gray’s threw in the towel.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking of signing up with the two you’ve mentioned. Looked at the possibility of doing some CPC with DriverHire too.

damoq:
Don’t think Wincanton are in EK anymore. They done the distribution for Sommerfeld but they are long gone now. Unless Wincanton have somewhere else in EK I’ve never heard of before.

Yeah, checked it out there, it would appear that you’re absolutely correct. They now do Morrison’s from Bellshill, which I seem to remember was Safeway’s RDC when I was last there. Nearly 2 hours to tip a couple of pallets if I remember - from what I’ve read on here, nothing’s changed in 10 years!!!

yuvonne@yblrecruitment.co.uk.
Or call us on 01236 457722

Ybl have craibs unsure on other contracts.

I think this is the wrong time of year to get back into lorry driving, they where choking at the bit for drivers beginning of december. But i suspect the work will have dropped off a cliff now chrimbo is over.

sonofjamie:

damoq:

Yeah, checked it out there, it would appear that you’re absolutely correct. They now do Morrison’s from Bellshill, which I seem to remember was Safeway’s RDC when I was last there. Nearly 2 hours to tip a couple of pallets if I remember - from what I’ve read on here, nothing’s changed in 10 years!!!

They don’t do Morrison’s bellshill either. Norbert Dentresangle do bellshill. Wincanton do Morrison’s Bathgate though, but that site is due to close down very soon.

sonofjamie:

alamcculloch:

Driving with Carntyne would be a bit like sleeping with the enemy. When I was an OD they tried to undercut me on my CLV Whisky work for J&B. When Gray Bros. (who I subbied for) wound up, Carntyne gobbled up the work. One of the reasons I quit as an OD was I knew that I would lose all that kind of work when Gray’s threw in the towel.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking of signing up with the two you’ve mentioned. Looked at the possibility of doing some CPC with DriverHire too.

Are you talking about Gray’s from Cardross? I forgot all about them. I used to see some of them when i went out with my dad during school holidays when he was on containers. Gray’s used to do a lot of box work too IIRC.

Ive always liked john logan at taskmaster.was always trunks for dhl

I have found Forde recruitment to have regular work at DHL Bellshill and Sainsbury trunk work from East Kilbride. Very good rates of pay and loads of shifts with permanent self employed shifts.
I also like Target with regular work, rate of pay not that great.
My own experience and my own opinion is don’t go to ADR, Driver hire, Jark or Taskmaster.
I’m on a permanent full time at the moment but will probably go back to Forde very soon.

Target are great if you like working falkirk way and bad rates but thats just my opinion

damoq:
Are you talking about Gray’s from Cardross? I forgot all about them. I used to see some of them when i went out with my dad during school holidays when he was on containers. Gray’s used to do a lot of box work too IIRC.

Yes. They moved to the old railway goods yard in Dumbarton East just up the street from where I was staying at the time so were ideal - a 2 min walk to work :smiley: .

merc0447:
I think this is the wrong time of year to get back into lorry driving, they where choking at the bit for drivers beginning of december. But i suspect the work will have dropped off a cliff now chrimbo is over.

Yeah, I’m not in a rush. I need to wind up my business first. I’m looking to get back in over the course of the coming year. Just doing a bit of research just now and putting the feelers out.

Thanks to nearly there and dts for your comments - plenty of food for thought, cheers!

I can recommend Forde, nice people to work for. Forde have some good trunking contracts, I only left for a fulltime job with “carntyne”.