Gist

Anyone drive for Gist? I know they have the M&S Contract but just wondered what they’re like to drive for and if there’s a driving assessment?

What happened to the days where drivers just turned up for an interview?

Yes theres a assesment.id did agencey shifts so cant say what there like to full timers

If there is a driving assessment, this should not be a problem if you are confident in your abilities.

Never driven for them so can’t help other than my useful input above :slight_smile:

nearly there:
Yes theres a assesment.id did agencey shifts so cant say what there like to full timers

Decent to work for then?

I don’t have a problem with assessment drives :slight_smile:

They are now part of the Linde Group (Germans) along with BOC Gases and it not their policy to employ full time drivers anymore.

There will be an assessment but I’m not sure how involved this would be cos I worked for the other part of the group. I do know they used to work their drivers quite hard and whenever we delivered gas to Faversham or Thatcham their drivers were not usually happy!

mikeshe:
They are now part of the Linde Group (Germans) along with BOC Gases and it not their policy to employ full time drivers anymore.

There will be an assessment but I’m not sure how involved this would be cos I worked for the other part of the group. I do know they used to work their drivers quite hard and whenever we delivered gas to Faversham or Thatcham their drivers were not usually happy!

That’s why faversham are advertising for drivers every week agency :smiley:

Yes mate, Linde do not employ their own drivers in any other country. They purchased BOC of which Gist were part of several years ago and they don’t want employed drivers in the UK but obviously it’s not so easy to get rid of everyone or find contractors who want to take it on so from now on when they have a requirement to fill a driver role it will be through agencies.

Naw bud they sucked but i was getting a decent rate and lots of hours

mikeshe:
I do know they used to work their drivers quite hard and whenever we delivered gas to Faversham or Thatcham their drivers were not usually happy!

Rubbish. I know some from Faversham and its an easy job and their not pushed at all

Chewyboy:

mikeshe:

That’s just to fill the agencies books. They do take on full time when they need them.

Seems like a doss to me.

Depends young sam. Driving for gist with the marked up wagons i suppose it would be similar to driving for dhl etc very bluechip sort of company.

But driving for the other face of gist the bit they don’t want marks and sparks to see… the ex g&s international brigade in bellshill i bet it will be a whole different ball game!

merc0447:
Depends young sam. Driving for gist with the marked up wagons i suppose it would be similar to driving for dhl etc very bluechip sort of company.

But driving for the other face of gist the bit they don’t want marks and sparks to see… the ex g&s international brigade in bellshill i bet it will be a whole different ball game!

Sam,forget about the international trips there are still crazy, here’s one of the uk trips. Load wembely, tip at widnes,reload gadbrook,tip eurocentral moss end and finally finish gist bellshill. Sam, try that in a merc 2543 with a fully loaded double decker within 15 hrs duty and 10 hrs driving time for the princely sum of £100 per shift,if you can your a good fit for gist. Merc0447 right something’s don’t change just the name. Good job hunting. :smiley:

Seany:

Chewyboy:

mikeshe:

That’s just to fill the agencies books. They do take on full time when they need them.

Oh well, then you know mate but I worked for the Linde Group and was involved on the TU side in discussions at National level with the gases and they informed us they would NOT be employing any more drivers period. Vacancies would be filled by agency. Perhaps Linde are operating the Gist side of the business differently but I can’t see it. I spoke to three drivers in Faversham who had worked there on average 10 years each and they were not happy with changes to their job since Linde took over. So make of that what you will.

while i was driving for stobarts and looking for a proper job i gave them a try through the agency and after a pretty thorough assessment started on the friday for 4 days running from eccleshall. i asked for the maximum and they kept it coming and i did 57 hours in the 4 days with one night out. the only disappointing thing about the job was the pay packet which was down to the agency paying flat rate and apart from a pound an hour extra for a sunday. good tackle and decent enough planners

Too young mate. Gist is 25 and up unless you get in with the DHL which is very rare.

The GIST ■■■■■■■■■■■ driving assessment - unless they’ve changed the layout of their yard, you need to be confident at reversing. After the drive, they ask you to back into a fairly tight bay with a unit/trailer on either side of you. There are also full outfits angle-parked across from you so not a lot of room at the front either. Depending on which bay the man picks for you, some are tight enough to think seriously about getting out and pulling in the mirrors of the wagons on either side.

Take your time and it’s fine. Hash in and your tea’s out.

Have fun.

My brother in law works for gist at Barnsley. They have not set any drivers on for the last 6 years. Only per temps agency.

greggy:
My brother in law works for gist at Barnsley. They have not set any drivers on for the last 6 years. Only per temps agency.

They set some on just before Xmas.
I was there on agency. A woman from per temps got set on and another guy.
There not on the same contracts as the older guys.
My mates dad has worked there for 20+ years. It’s throught the agency they get set on.
My mates dad tried getting him on but can’t because he won’t work for agency.
So he managed to get on with langdans.

stagedriver:
Too young mate. Gist is 25 and up unless you get in with the DHL which is very rare.

They seem quite interested in me coming up on 20 and they know how ‘young’ I am? :laughing: Only reason I posted was because I had an offer. :slight_smile: