Gist

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of what Gist are like to work for.

turbodiesel:
Hi

Does anyone have any experience of what Gist are like to work for.

Full time? No. Agency? Terrible, unless you like hanging round for 4 hours before they find you a truck/load to drive and then still being expected to work a 15 hours shift. I managed to get myself banned from my local depot which was one of the best work related moves I made. Never missed them and had just as much work but less hassle.

The work itself was easy enough. The most I ever had to do was to wheel dollies on and off trailers but we got messed around a lot and the attitude from their own staff was poor, more the office staff than the drivers.

To be fair it’s been at least 15 years since I worked from them so things could have changed by now and different depots might have different ways of working so don’t take my word for it. That was just my experience. Others might know better.

ewwww that sound bleak lol.But hopefully as you said things can change in 15 yrears.Thankyou for your comments matey.

Still the same at Barnsley depot.

i did an assessment with them a few weeks ago at bellshill. seemed like the office staff pretend you arent there and they are really struggling to keep on top of infringements for some reason. this may be why!

scanny77:
i did an assessment with them a few weeks ago at bellshill. seemed like the office staff pretend you arent there and they are really struggling to keep on top of infringements for some reason. this may be why!

Ive just had assessment at Thornbury depot.

If you speak English, you havn`t got a chance. :laughing:

scanny77:

LOL there office staff at bellshill are ex G+S staff who got left when G+S sold out to gist. They were ignorant tw@ts then so looks like it ain’t changed much

I quite often see a Yellow Dutch reg.Daf parked up on the Belgian coast (Yes,confusing I know) with one of their trailers on. The Tractor-unit also has Union-Jack stickers on the sides of the cab.

If you’re the driver then send me a PM…

Spalding depot is ok for agency, make sure ■■■■■■■■ is your second language tho, trucks are old junk but drive ok and well serviced, office staff decent.

I worked at Spalding a couple of years back through a local agency (Per temps in there now) doing the flowers from Felixstowe & Harwich and in my limited experience of full time driving was possibly the easiest job ever, slightly annoying when they shut European ops and piggy backed it on to UK work, then have to do stupid local collections after a dock run! Spalding is the trunking depot and doing a trunk to the other depots is a piece of ■■■■, drive, tip, move to equipment, reload, drive back!
If you want to be a shiny arse driver they would suit you, if you think it’s fine not to be able to do Spalding to Bristol in 4.5 hrs, sign up!!
In my experience all Gist office staff are complete bumheads, really all you get is a grunt, the guys at Barnsley are among the friendliest, you are only a stupid driver so don’t speak and your’ll be alright
As said equipment is fairly old but well maintained but always filthy, Spalding yard is a ■■■■ hole!! Some of the rules are a bit weird like you can’t refill an LPG fuelled truck unless you’ve had a training course :open_mouth:
There’s always plenty of work which is always good!
Just my opinion and my experience

i take you never worked at spalding, i did i worked for them for 5 years uk and europe, as for a sh–it hole you must have been in the wrong yard or it was sorted before i went there, i was there late1999 to 2005 , some of the office staff where a pain in the ■■■, young uns who thought they knew how to run the job, they were still wet behind there ears

I did agency work for salvesen in Spalding then Gist. I can’t remember if Salvo turned into Gist or they bought the yard or I was sent to Gist after Salvo ended. The memory is hazyI just carried on turning up. Salvos was driving old junk but a friendly place and very easy work with no waiting and good maps for where you needed to go. I liked Christian Salvesen. A good place.

Gist. Straight away a bad atmos with loads of waiting for a unit. Just a mess. I was one of a few drivers who didnt mind driving the ERF twin split so got a unit a bit more quickly. The fancy management “Gist” logo was a facade. Heart of logistics my foot. That was 13 years ago. I took a drive back past their yard the other month when over in England and its exactly the same layout. Wonder if the setup has changed. Sorry, my old ramblings aren’t relevant for the present day but couldn’t help noticing they’re still out of the same old un invested infrastructure yard in Spalding with ancient tackle. Maybe not worth taking out the company pension if you do join…