Gist / Assements / role and work in gerneral

Was checking around as moving location, to see what is availble in the area, and came across an agency role with Gist,
gave a quick call and on asking further details told, 3 DAY ASSESMENT, is this normal for these guys as supermarket work, and ask as hate assesments as it is, drivings fine, just someone sat watching me drive for 3 days will annoy me lol… just being honest, and used to just 1 day usually… so why 3 days ? is it proceedure mad at delivery so needs 3 days to learn ■■ or just to make sure you can drive without hitting bridges lol…

Anyone worked for them and advise if any good ? just a general scope as each driver has different experiences, but you can tend to make a outline of what is expected… as in, always running you to max hours, kit being good or bad, and drop locations being akward… only expereince of store work was years ago kwiksave, and it was constant loading bays that were not loading bays, cages with 3 wheels, and huge slopes… and also once got bricked in place near some mining town, by kids… was warned it could happen, proper rought area at the time, talking +20yrs ago… … little ■■■■■■

Usually prefer going in direct with a company, as happy to walk in and hand a CV over, if no advertising, other options I noticed in the area, was
Langdons … but only seeing agency options, so anyone know if Langdons take on directly for Casual drivers as wont be able to do full time until second month.

cheers in advance…
think Asda’s around there too, so any advice on them too would be interested.

3 day assessment for agency work seems rather long especially as you may not get many shifts afterwards.

I worked for Gist for about 7 years on a supermarket contract (2001-2008) and I had no problem with them, the work was like kwik-save, hard work and a battle to get into stores. I enjoyed it but not everyone taste.

Didn’t gist get taken over by M&S last year? Probably like all the big companies it depends on which site you work at on how good they are.

There are plenty of members on here who work for asda who tell you what they like. I did some agency work at Bedford site again few years back and I found them pretty good, but things (Managers) may have changed now.

elsa Lad:
3 day assessment for agency work seems rather long especially as you may not get many shifts afterwards.

I worked for Gist for about 7 years on a supermarket contract (2001-2008) and I had no problem with them, the work was like kwik-save, hard work and a battle to get into stores. I enjoyed it but not everyone taste.

Didn’t gist get taken over by M&S last year? Probably like all the big companies it depends on which site you work at on how good they are.

There are plenty of members on here who work for asda who tell you what they like. I did some agency work at Bedford site again few years back and I found them pretty good, but things (Managers) may have changed now.

Ta,
The 3 days part gave me same thoughts of why so long? Know permtemps have some internal driver assessment thing from posts etc, but they said on the job assessment, going to stores etc, so not that.
Will wait see what other advice comes…

I dont think youve actually said which area you`re looking at.
Maybe get better advice if you did?

elsa Lad:

Yes Gist is owned by M&S now. As for a 3 day assessment it won’t be a 3 day assessment. It will be an assessment drive of around 45 mins is fairly normal and some training and paperwork for the rest of the 3 days. You’ll also probably be taken out on a short run to be shown procedures and strapping the load at another site.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:

elsa Lad:

Yes Gist is owned by M&S now. As for a 3 day assessment it won’t be a 3 day assessment. It will be an assessment drive of around 45 mins is fairly normal and some training and paperwork for the rest of the 3 days. You’ll also probably be taken out on a short run to be shown procedures and strapping the load at another site.

Cheers, that makes more sense, and palatable.

TonkaBoy:

simcor:

elsa Lad:

Cheers, that makes more sense, and palatable.

how did you get on?