Gibraltar parking

Hi all in need of some help. Travelling out to gibraltar on Monday in a 10 tonner and need some advice on where to park there. I’m doing a job Thursday and Sunday and have to stay on the island. I have been there once before and realise it could be a difficult ask. Is morrisoms and option? Any help greatly appreciated.

Which island are you staying on?

the nodding donkey:
Which island are you staying on?

Last time I went to Gibraltar it was not an island, actually part of mainland Europe.
I have always parked at the Spanish side of border controls and walked across, much quicker than going through the long winded security they have in place now.

Martin:
I have always parked at the Spanish side of border controls and walked across, much quicker than going through the long winded security they have in place now.

That’s some serious handball.

Contraflow:

Martin:

That’s some serious handball.

:smiley: OK, I should have said that I was in my car!

But it’s easier for Gib locals to cross the border to collect from the Spanish side and if you watch the road crossing the airport runway there are numerous white van men running a shuttle service.

You should be able to…

Get a ten tonner under the canopy at Morrisons petrol station. I assume you’ll be taking advantage of the lower price diesel there? I wouldn’t use the coach parking area at Morrisons, you’ll be told to move as soon as you pull in. Besides, geting around to it can be a nightmare if there’s badly parked cars on Europort Avenue.

Parking anywhere on the rock is nigh on impossible. If you’re unloading there, ask if you can leave your truck on site and then wander into town if thats what you want to do.

I am not sure if you can still park in the marina, which is where I used to, to get there, cross the runway, straight over the first roundabout with the stadium on your right .
Traffic light split road to the right, right at the next roundabout where the old fortress square is on your left.
There was a lady that worked in a pub who let drivers use her shower in her flat .
As said, lorry parking in Gib is not good, the nightlife is in the old square, some Irish pubs and a cinema .
I prefered to walk out the border to La Linea for a Chinese meal and good night life.
On the way down in Spain, if you see buildings with flashing neon lights, called CLUB , its not a disco .
The traffic in Gib is very congested so allow time to not go far.
The traffic police cut no slack and do not mess about, watch for parking tickets and they tow away offenders vehicles .
In your position, I would hire a car and tour the south coast resorts, Puerto de Banus near Marbella is an eye opener for mega yachts and flash cars .
And top hot rich totty spotting .

Thanks all for the help. Will have to try and find the lady with the shower!!! Apologies for calling it an island!!! Have to stay with the truck unfortunately so won’t get much chance see many sights.

There was a truck park years ago, dirty hole with abandoned mattressess etc lying about and not very big either but I don’t know if it still exists. Sounds like the one Toby mentioned near the marina. Last time I was there in the late nineties, La Linea de la Conception (to give its full name) was a rough place at night on your own, much safer on the island. The Chinky was good though, nice nosh. You can look at all the tat in the shops on Main Street :smiley:

Unless things have changed, IIRC I thought it was forbidden to park overnight with a lorry in Gib. I do remember some years ago delivering (artic) Easter Eggs for Marks & Sparks during the foot-and-mouth epidemic. I cleared Spanish customs but Gibraltar customs wouldn’t clear me until it could be shown the milk used for the Easter Eggs was foot-and-mouth cleared! This created a problem because of the ban on overnight parking. In the end they arranged for me to park in the bus station. That was handy for the nearby Indian restaurant, incidentally. I tipped next morning and drove round to Algecira for my ferry to Morocco. Hope that helps. Robert

Cheers guys for all the responses. Managed to find parking in the airport. Once you go through gibraltar customs you go past the aiprort building there is a big car park that is used for coaches. We parked in there for four days. No problem at all plus they use it for customs so fairly secure. Nice cafe across the road too!!!

antsully:
Cheers guys for all the responses. Managed to find parking in the airport. Once you go through gibraltar customs you go past the aiprort building there is a big car park that is used for coaches. We parked in there for four days. No problem at all plus they use it for customs so fairly secure. Nice cafe across the road too!!!

I was going to suggest either there or take a left off Winston Churchill Ave and try the industrial area, failing that Europa point.

Tris:

antsully:

I was going to suggest either there or take a left off Winston Churchill Ave and try the industrial area, failing that Europa point.

Point of Europe isnt a bad spot. If you do go there, get yourself on the concrete block where the binoculars are and have a look over the Strait, on a clear day Morrocos coastline easily visible…

AndrewG:

Tris:

antsully:

Point of Europe isnt a bad spot. If you do go there, get yourself on the concrete block where the binoculars are and have a look over the Strait, on a clear day Morrocos coastline easily visible…

I’d have to be parked so that hideous mosque wasn’t in view though.

I once had the displeasure of being there for 7 long weeks, wasn’t with a truck but on a (dare I say it) ship I was delivering to the Gambia but the engine was bust. The port authorities put us on the detached mole which meant that with the ciggie smugglers going thru the harbour at over 40 knots during the hours of darkness meant that our getting back in our life boat with a 4 hp outboard was decidedly dangerous, (and boring not being able to partake in some of the delights available !!)

Tris:
I’d have to be parked so that hideous mosque wasn’t in view though.

Seeing as you like mosques you should go see the new one at Casablanca the King had built at ginormous cost, then he went an upset the locals by raising the local taxes to pay for it all, but still a very impressive building ( if for all the wrong reasons)