Gibbs of Fraserburgh (A few photos)

I found these photos tonight that I have saved on my computer in Denmark, these are only a few out of the thousands I have of Gibbs. Some have been taking by me and a few are ones I have collected over the years. Hope you enjoy.

This one I took whilst I was at the Gibbs auction, very sad day for me. If you have ever wondered where my username comes from, just look at the name on the first Iveco. It was also the name of my dads Iveco

This is an interesting one my dad took of his DAF. This was a tight squeeze when loading/unloading but if you look closely there was a cement ramp made at the door to tilt the trailer at an angle to allow them to reverse in.

This is one I took in their yard not long before the end.

The Gibb family have always been kind to me and other enthusiasts. On the odd occasion they would let me and my dad take the new trucks for a small photo shoot, I took this one not long after this DAF was new.

I also took this one in the yard one Saturday morning

Old and New

This is one I took at the Forth Road Bridge services about 8 years ago I think. I wonder if this is still on the go?

Hope you liked them.

Nice set of pics there euroscot, sad to see them pack in,
use to get up that way a fair bit in the 90`s tipping ali extrusions at Gray & Adams.

Thanks nianiamh. Was very sad, they was big part of my life. G&A’s is just round the corner from my house, I worked in there aswell for a bit.

Hi Euroscot,
I wondered if this shot of D979WSS would be of interest to you.

As you know she was called ‘Mull of Kintyre’ on Gibbs but in the picture she came south and joined the fleet of Frank Robbins in Avonmouth.
Just thought you’d like to see the pic
Marc

Thanks Bubbleman, it is of interest to me. When was the photo taken, looks to be mid 90’s judging by the cars?

Hi Euroscot,
I really cant be sure about the date I took the photo probably '93 or '94 so you are’nt far off with your guess. Actually I was offered the chance to have the lorry D979 as my regular motor, when I worked for Western Transport we were going through a period of change,we’d lost our identity and we were getting replacement trucks from all parts of the T.D.G .Most were pretty workworn but we had a chance to pick the better ones.I came back to the yard one day and stood in the corner was D979 and a 6x2 merecedes from Charles Alexander. My manager at the time took me over and asked me if I wanted either,when I opened up the merc it stank like Billingsgate and as the Daf was only a 2800 I assumed Gibbs had had the best of her so I declined the offer…worst mistake I ever made as I ended up with an E.R.F. What I couldn’t work out was why the T.D.G had D979 as Gibbs weren’t in the group. A bit of useless drivel …sorry! The lorry was then sold to Robbins,just up the road.
Marc

Hi Euroscot. Do you have a copy of Truck magazine ( Dec 1974 )?. There is a story in there about a Gibbs driver called Charlie Reid, driving an Atki Borderer reg no OSA 333H. Apparently this was a spare motor as Charlies new Seddon had been involved in an accident a few days before.The story follows Charlie on a run south to London and the Home Counties delivering Beef. Highly recomended reading!!.

bubbleman:
Hi Euroscot,
I really cant be sure about the date I took the photo probably '93 or '94 so you are’nt far off with your guess. Actually I was offered the chance to have the lorry D979 as my regular motor, when I worked for Western Transport we were going through a period of change,we’d lost our identity and we were getting replacement trucks from all parts of the T.D.G .Most were pretty workworn but we had a chance to pick the better ones.I came back to the yard one day and stood in the corner was D979 and a 6x2 merecedes from Charles Alexander. My manager at the time took me over and asked me if I wanted either,when I opened up the merc it stank like Billingsgate and as the Daf was only a 2800 I assumed Gibbs had had the best of her so I declined the offer…worst mistake I ever made as I ended up with an E.R.F. What I couldn’t work out was why the T.D.G had D979 as Gibbs weren’t in the group. A bit of useless drivel …sorry! The lorry was then sold to Robbins,just up the road.
Marc

Yeah they were well worked motors but always maintained to the highest standard. I’m trying to find an ex-gibbs unit for the shows but its quite hard. Yeah I don’t know why they would have had that unit, gibbs had nothing to do with them but I’ve got a feeling gibbs would have traded it in for a 95 as all the 2800’s were replaced with them. Do you think this units still on the go?

Mark R:
Hi Euroscot. Do you have a copy of Truck magazine ( Dec 1974 )?. There is a story in there about a Gibbs driver called Charlie Reid, driving an Atki Borderer reg no OSA 333H. Apparently this was a spare motor as Charlies new Seddon had been involved in an accident a few days before.The story follows Charlie on a run south to London and the Home Counties delivering Beef. Highly recomended reading!!.

Yeah I do Mark, still got it hidden away for safe keeping. Magazines a bit rough round the edges but still in one piece. If I was at home I could have scanned it in and posted it up for everyone.

Euroscot,
I think Robbins ran her into the ground mate,they had a few newish Fodens which i would assume 1 replaced her.
Marc

I would think it would be exported or scrapped by now but you never know. Good to see that photo though so thanks.

Hi Euroscot
I went by Frank Robbins yard earlier and there is nothing in there,I did hear that they had closed,but I went and made sure D979 was’nt around.
Found these couple of crappy shots,again may be of interest to you.

Both taken on the M4 near Bristol in the mid 80s.
Cheers Marc.

Thanks marc, great photos, good to see anything gibbs. I struggle to find photos now of them, don’t know if its because people want to keep them since they closed. That ERF C series in the photo had a small accident just after it was new and cracked a small part of the grill and gibbs being gibbs replaced the whole grill and had all the sign writing done again but as for the old grill with the hand painted name and graphics with the knight of the road badge, it is currently hanging up in my garage with a few other grills with the names on them. And if I’m not mistaken ASA 615Y is currently being restored back to its former glory complete with G&A’s fridge van from the time.

Hi Euro scot,
As you like bad photos,here are some more.

Hope you find these ok, When I saw a Gibbs lorry I allways had a go at it regardless of the light conditions.
Cheers Marc.

Are you joking!! There cracking photos, my dad had an ERF B series, off the top of my head i think the reg was GSS 135V, it was called ‘Northern Lights’. Do you have a big collection of Gibbs photos?

Hi Euroscot,
Pleased you liked the pics, you ask if I’ve a large collection of photo’s of Gibbs lorries…no not really, just had a look, i’ve 160 pics covering 94 different lorries,I must point out that 99% are from photo dealers and fellow enthusiasts/friends etc. only a handfull were taken by me. This means I cant show the majority on the thread. As you are a keen follower of Gibbs I would imagine you have most of the same pics as I do anyway.
I’ve a black n white pic of dads E.R.F (Northern lights) and a pic of his Iveco which you’ve been appealing for but again they are from dealers.
Cheers Marc.

Yeah, its a touchy subject with copyright etc and upsetting people. I’ve got a lot of photos but the majority are from the 90’s onwards, I don’t have a lot before that time when they had the B series ERF’s and Atkinsons. I’ve got a black and white one of my dads ERF in a truckstop some where, not sure if thats the one you have. The iveco though was the main truck I was brought up with so I like to see photos of that. I’m not someone that collects hundreds of photos it only seems to be gibbs that interests me and local hauliers maybe depending on who they are.