Getting your first job

Hi everyone, been reading posts on here for a while so thought it’s about time I started contributing. :slight_smile:

Passed my cat c licence at the end of last year and have been applying for jobs for the last couple of months with no joy, had one interview but thats it.

From what I’ve read on here it seems the usual route into work for a new pass is through agencies, which I understand is quite unreliable. With a mortgage and young child to think about I can’t afford to leave my permanent van driving job for a job which might disappear after a couple of weeks.

Just wondering how some of you guys got your first hgv job and am I being sensible to steer clear of agencies? :confused:

Hi Jim.
Most new passes go the agency route me included,but some firms take new passes on full time to give them a chance,pallet networks brakes 3663 etc,where abouts are you someone might be able to help.

Jeff.

Hi Jeff

I’m based in colchester, but can travel to ipswich or chelmsford areas.

The nearest brakes and p&h are too far. There’s a bidvest in stowmarket, just about within my range but never any jobs on their website.

If you’ve been lurking for a while, you should have seen that it’s normally quiet post Xmas, and only likely to starting picking up soon…
So chin up and start again, as those firms you applied to around Xmas won’t have kept your CV, it will be filed you know where. :wink:

Best of luck! :smiley:

For local firms around Colchester try going and actually seeing them, there’s Hamblions for one that run class 2.

As wrighty said print cv off and knock on doors best way,speak to transport manager about jobs,they will know who’s after drivers and will look better if they sent you there.
Good luck.

There’s a thread bouncing round somewhere where people are thinking that the jobs from agencies are slower than normal in showing…?

Goldfinger:
There’s a thread bouncing round somewhere where people are thinking that the jobs from agencies are slower than normal in showing…?

Not seen it, but I’ve been surprised by the lack of new ad’s being placed on indeed? :confused:
Yet I’ve also seen a genuine one from an agency I’m linked with, so what driver shortage? :open_mouth:

FWIW, the last two newbies I took on, one was doing some casual work as a yard man on a Saturday, looking for full time, so we took him on. Next newbie driver was the first one’s mate.

I echo what the others say, get out there, particularly with the smaller firms.