Getting up to Speed- New Driver

Hey truckers!

So I’m into my first week of a new job (second company with different agency than my first shot). I only started on Wednesday so have completed 3 shifts at this place with only one prior shift in a Class 2 last weekend with a different company which was an awful experience where I was completely chucked in the deep end without a paddle on a 14 hour night shift alone in a much bigger truck than I was used to handling in training.

I was told this company were “exclusive” to helping out new passes gain experience by the agency- does that sound like something a company sympathetic to new drivers would do? It was like they literally expected me to just know what to do, which as you can imagine, left me feeling rather once bitten twice shy with the whole big expectations crap…

My new agency, whom were very understanding when I explained that I did not want a repeat of my first experience in an HGV and I was certainly not cut out for night shifts at this stage (didn’t even want to do a night shift but felt pressured by the previous agency) have sent me to this other place where the other drivers are very approachable, very helpful and patient with me and has given me a great confidence boost. The job is pretty straight forward and the exact kind of work I’m after. However, the manager that agreed to take me on isn’t the usual manager (which was evident as he was clearly not used to this role from what I experienced). He is a lovely guy though and has taken me to one side and given me a “heads up” you could say about the return of the usual manager…

It turns out, from what I can perceive, that this manager agreed to have me as he believes in giving new drivers a chance, whereas the usual boss may not share the same opinion as he wants drivers to just be able to get on with the job etc. Anyway, he told me to ensure not to take too long in the yard before starting a job (I guess because the usual boss would not approve even though he doesn’t mind, himself).

Now, as a rookie, I do take a little longer to do my checks and plan my routes- especially as I’ve not even completed a full working week yet! But, my hold up on Friday was not any fault of mine as the FLT driver from the previous day had not loaded the pallets correctly and I needed assistance from another FLT driver to un-trap the curtain and move the pallets off of the rings so that I could strap down my load. Not only that, there was an incorrect pallet on my load which the manger detected last minute and needed to put on another truck…

I do feel confident in my own opinion, being: I’m not leaving until I am confident that the load is safe and secure and that I’ve done all my checks and know where I’m going. Does that seem reasonable for a new driver? I certainly don’t want to be rushed but I really like this job and hope that this isn’t going to cause friction when the boss returns. I am aware that I can just go elsewhere and my new agency have been really supportive so far, but the temp manager also told me there is possibility for permanent role with them and I’d like to stick with them as long as possible.

BUT what do you guys think? I’ve spoken to a relative who is a very experienced trucker and he also thinks it’d be unreasonable for them to expect me to just be that quick in my first week which makes me feel better but I’d like to know if anyone has been in similar situation or how would you approach this?

I came into this industry after being constantly reassured that it was perfectly OK to take my time and that is one thing I hold onto as I hate feeling conscious about rushing and I know that if they can respect that, my speed and competence will naturally increase as I familiarise myself with the role in due time.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Don’t be rushed, speed will come with time. And if you’re new the worse thing you can do is head out without a route planned out. This I guarantee will eat up time like you wouldn’t believe - having to find somewhere to turn around, getting lost etc will eat your time.

Trucker_Hevski:
I came into this industry after being constantly reassured that it was perfectly OK to take my time

Sorry but they lied - get used to it. Time is money in this game - but still it is sound advice and taking your time will make you faster :confused: rushing will slow you down.
As for

Trucker_Hevski:
“exclusive” to helping out new passes gain experience by the agency

What at night :laughing: translation is they’ll take someone without much experience and or no one else to cover this shift.
Welcome to the industry

svgzone:
Don’t be rushed, speed will come with time. And if you’re new the worse thing you can do is head out without a route planned out. This I guarantee will eat up time like you wouldn’t believe - having to find somewhere to turn around, getting lost etc will eat your time.

Trucker_Hevski:
I came into this industry after being constantly reassured that it was perfectly OK to take my time

Sorry but they lied - get used to it. Time is money in this game - but still it is sound advice and taking your time will make you faster :confused: rushing will slow you down.
As for

Trucker_Hevski:
“exclusive” to helping out new passes gain experience by the agency

What at night :laughing: translation is they’ll take someone without much experience and or no one else to cover this shift.
Welcome to the industry

Thank you for the reassurance and honest words!

Yes, I wised-up quickly with that first agency- won’t touch them with a barge pole now! Think I got lucky with this new one. They constantly check up on me to see if I’m still OK with the job.

I understand perfectly why they want me on the road ASAP and the whole time is money thing but like you say, if I don’t take that time to ensure I know where I’m going or secure the load, it’s also going to be their time and money if I take a wrong turn and can’t get turned around or even get stopped for having an unsafe load etc. It’s also my licence and I plan on keeping it! haha

Thanks again!

As you said it’s your licence so think about that if being rushed , unloading you’ll get quicker as time goes on in the job you’ll find your doing things without even thinking about it when your in the swing of your daily day . Only advice I could give you with the pallet work is keep an eye on your weight , some pallets may say 100kg on them but they are well over . Hope you continue to enjoy the place your at and good luck in getting a permanent role !

svgzone:

I just feel the need to point out, here, that this advice ALWAYS comes from drivers! Not management or agencies etc. I guess the reality is, they can try to rush me, but I’m always going to listen more to the words of experienced truckers :sunglasses:

Df91:
Only advice I could give you with the pallet work is keep an eye on your weight , some pallets may say 100kg on them but they are well over . Hope you continue to enjoy the place your at and good luck in getting a permanent role !

I expressed concerns about weight right away with being new in general to everything- but the other drivers say it’s never really a problem with this particular job because it’s always flat-packed cardboard boxes and when I take a visual check there’s not been any alarm bells ringing (but as a precaution I do have a note of my axel weights so will be ready to check it out if I’m worried).

While on this topic, though, what is the most effective way to check the weight without too much faffing about, would you say? I mean I got the axel weight in tons and I’m finding I need to use my unit converter app a lot haha.

Thank you for the support! Really value your input :slight_smile:

Trucker_Hevski:

Df91:
Only advice I could give you with the pallet work is keep an eye on your weight , some pallets may say 100kg on them but they are well over . Hope you continue to enjoy the place your at and good luck in getting a permanent role !

I expressed concerns about weight right away with being new in general to everything- but the other drivers say it’s never really a problem with this particular job because it’s always flat-packed cardboard boxes and when I take a visual check there’s not been any alarm bells ringing (but as a precaution I do have a note of my axel weights so will be ready to check it out if I’m worried).

While on this topic, though, what is the most effective way to check the weight without too much faffing about, would you say? I mean I got the axel weight in tons and I’m finding I need to use my unit converter app a lot haha.

Really value your input :slight_smile:

Without going to a weighbridge or one being in your yard ( some have them before you drive out I’m assuming yours doesn’t ) ask the forklift driver if you think one looks over . I know your saying it’s just boxes but sometimes you can tell by the eye when it goes on the truck that’s it heavier . Place I was at the forklifts had scales so when a pallet was lifted the weight would be displayed inside the forklift . Not sure if every forklift has it but worth asking a friendly Forklift driver at your place do theirs have it .
Thank you for the support!

Never rush.

You’re not delivering essential blood supplies.

Whatever it is, it isn’t as important as you being comfortable and safe.

I’ve had a few “conversations” in the past about this. I do not take the pee, but I do take my time and aim to do everything correctly.

If they have an issue with that, it’s time to move on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:
Never rush.

I’ve had a few “conversations” in the past about this. I do not take the pee, but I do take my time and aim to do everything correctly.

Thank you so much. This is exactly what my Uncle advised. I do guess that some drivers will aim to please the company and if that means taking risks then they will but I’m not like that, especially when I’m learning. Cheers!

Trucker_Hevski:

Truckulent:
Never rush.

Thank you so much. This is exactly what my Uncle advised. I do guess that some drivers will aim to please the company and if that means taking risks then they will but I’m not like that, especially when I’m learning. Cheers!

Stick to that and you’ll be fine.

If they demand you rush or cut corners ask for it in writing.

They’ll back down. Good luck and enjoy!

[/quote]
Without going to a weighbridge or one being in your yard ( some have them before you drive out I’m assuming yours doesn’t ) ask the forklift driver if you think one looks over . I know your saying it’s just boxes but sometimes you can tell by the eye when it goes on the truck that’s it heavier . Place I was at the forklifts had scales so when a pallet was lifted the weight would be displayed inside the forklift . Not sure if every forklift has it but worth asking a friendly Forklift driver at your place do theirs have it .
[/quote]
They don’t have one, no. Just a small yard. The FL drivers are pretty sound there, though so I will ask out of curiosity how they weigh their pallets. They also know that I’m a rookie haha!

Thank you! :smiley:

Truckulent:

Trucker_Hevski:

Truckulent:
Never rush.

Stick to that and you’ll be fine.

If they demand you rush or cut corners ask for it in writing.

They’ll back down. Good luck and enjoy!

Sweet, that’s good to know! Thank you! :smiley: