Getting the tug

With all the people on here going on about WTD, infringements etc and trying not to incur the wrath of DVSA, it got me wondering just how often people get pulled by them, if certain types of work are more likely to get the tug or in certain areas of the country.
I’ve been driving for 6 years, doing ADR work nationwide for 5 years, and have only been pulled once, and even that was because I was in a hired unit that my boss hadn’t registered on his O-Licence.
So, how often have you been pulled?
Where were you when DVSA went on the pull?
And what sort of work is more/less likely to get pulled?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

In England…

I’ve been stopped twice in 40+ years of driving. Once at Beattock summit on my way south and once just on the outskirts of Nottingham whilst on a night shift.

In Europe I’d guestimate I was stopped on 25% of all my journeys. Some you could tell they weren’t interested in foreign motors and had pulled you by mistake. Others where they went through everything including my briefcase and dirty laundry.

I’d nominate Ford Transit vans with wooden greedy boards and piles of scrap for getting pulled the most. After that, anything from around the old commie block areas.

running on northern ireland or paddy plates then every vosa station thats open is like a convention/truck show for tangs.
if your running a hooked up scania or anything on analogue then you are guaranteed to be on first name terms in all the popular checkpoints if theres any ferry traffic.
the one saving grace is that similar to your normal bean counting traffic plod,then they always think they can catch you because they are smarter…the easy option is to let them keep thinking that and then theres no worries.
:wink:

Owner driver in 80s early 90s…, quite often.
Driving Dutch and Belgian regd trucks …most weeks in UK… :unamused:
Last 10 yrs on UK only firm…twice.

Certain firms are targeted, so it depends who you work for.

Currently on my best run ever not been pulled since November 2018 prior to that on average about once every 6-8 weeks so a big thank you to all the Romanian and Bulgarian lorries who are in the UK on a regular basis :smiley: :smiley:

seven times in 40 years three of them the same place three days on the trot running steel coils from Poole to Cardiff, even with the pink sticker in the window, once at Warminster services and only went in for a leak, once on the A34 by a young lady who kept us at the weighbridge as there was no one there, only to be told they were manning it the next day, she read the rota wrong, quite a few times in France but by the customs on the motorways,

Twice in in my HGV career since 1976, once on the M62 near halifax(250 kg over but sent on my way) at Ainley Top. The other time on the A57 coming out of Lincoln, two buggered brake adjusters that got the trailer a GV9.
I dont count the third time with the Ministry at the M11 Harlow junction as I drove in there of my own freewill :wink:

Stopped regularly in Germany and several times in France over the years but nothing wrong, just checks.

I get stopped regularly.
But my truck is a piece of crap and looks awful, so can’t complain.

Only once, and that was doing a favour for a friend of a friend after I retired.I was OK, the truck got a delayed ticket for a cracked spring hanger.When I gave him the ticket, he chucked it in the bin and asked why I had stopped! As I drove out of the yard they were loading the truck to go out next day.

At the back end of the last century I got stopped at Monmouth and given a gv9 for the table I had in the windscreen! He said while I go take the gv9 off to allow you on your way take the table out please! The boss wasn’t happy.
In the early part of this century I used to do a bi-weekly run that sent me over the Humber bridge. I used to get pulled there nearly every time they saw me. Only had one gv9 which was for 1 trailer wheel brake not working. Because I didn’t carry much weight he amazingly allowed me to drive back to the workshop but not do anymore deliveries.
Apart from a straight in and out on the Scottish border because they were blanket pulling every truck passing I’ve not been pulled since.
[emoji1694]