getting started

Hi all and thank you for allowing to join. Just a few questions,
I’ve decided at the age 0f 47 for a change of career (local government) and become a truck driver, I’ve spoken to a few training companies in Kent where I live and to be honest my brain has turned to mush as I keep getting told all different things regarding the CPC, I have provisional entitlement on my licence, had a full driving lince since 1987 and have booked my theory and hazard perception in a few weeks. My questions are
1 What cpc modules do I need?
2 some companies I have spoken have said just 2 and 4 where I can sit in a classroom or do 2 via booking through the DVLA who is right?
3 any advice on a reasonable/ good LGV driver training in Kent would be appreciated.
thanks
Jeff

You will already have C1 on your licence if you passed your car test in 1987, therefore you need to complete 35 hours of CPC before you can drive commercially. Mod 2 and 4 do not apply to you.

Gordon Springate (Based in the Kent County show ground in Detling) and Kent Metro in Rochester both have very good reputations. I did mine at Springates.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you can also opt to do the initial CPC (Mod 2 + 4) if you choose. The downside is it’s a pass or fail, the plus is it can be done in a shorter space of time.

thanks guys, my only problem doing the 35 hours on module 2 is i dont have enough holiday at work to do my driving/test 3-4 days and then the cpc, does it have be on in one 35 hour hit or can it be split over time? also does it have to be done in order as i have just found somewhere local that is taking bookings for part 2 of module2 in the next few weeks

Your 35hrs DCPC can be split over time. I was like you and did mine over a period of 5 Saturdays @ 7hrs per time.

Choose a trainer who can credit your practical driver training to your driver cpc and you’ll be almost there without spending any more time.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Check out the link in my signature below

Hi all thank you for your help, sometimes its a bit of a minefield, I really appreciate the messages and the pm’s and look forward to joining you on the road over the next few months and hey who knows maybe even meeting some of the lovely folk
thanks
Jeff

Lee1976:
You will already have C1 on your licence if you passed your car test in 1987, therefore you need to complete 35 hours of CPC before you can drive commercially. Mod 2 and 4 do not apply to you.

Gordon Springate (Based in the Kent County show ground in Detling) and Kent Metro in Rochester both have very good reputations. I did mine at Springates.

Best of luck!

1997 mate! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

Lee1976:

Best of luck!

Yes, the OP passed his test in 1987 and will therefore have C1 on his licence is what I meant!

Lee1976:

Evil8Beezle:

Lee1976:

Best of luck!

Yes, the OP passed his test in 1987 and will therefore have C1 on his licence is what I meant!

Ahh, see what you mean. I thought you were referring to the year that C1 was included up until…
Carry on! :sunglasses:

jonnyboat:
I believe you can also opt to do the initial CPC (Mod 2 + 4) if you choose. The downside is it’s a pass or fail, the plus is it can be done in a shorter space of time.

And cost less than 35 hr cpc, it’s what I did and I already had C1, but yes it is possible to fail.

spacemanZ10:

jonnyboat:

And cost less than 35 hr cpc, it’s what I did and I already had C1, but yes it is possible to fail.

But with the 35 hour periodical, you can combine in other qualifications like Hiab or ADR… :wink:

Peter Smythe:
Choose a trainer who can credit your practical driver training to your driver cpc and you’ll be almost there without spending any more time.

Is that only relevant to people who had a car licence (so C1 licence) before 1997? Or is there some kind of Mod 4 exemption (for post-1997 car licences) available as well?

Just had a trial drive with Kent Metro, well impressed just over an hour around Gillingham and Chatham, really enjoyed it and can see myself as a driver

Peter Smythe wrote:

Is that only relevant to people who had a car licence (so C1 licence) before 1997? Or is there some kind of Mod 4 exemption (for post-1997 car licences) available as well?

If you already hold a licence in the group in which you’re training, you can get cpc credits provided you are using an approved trainer who has the driving course approved for cpc. What this means, in short, is that a pre 1997 driver can do this as they will automatically have C1 on their licence. And this is the same group as C. Similarly, anyone with a C on their licence can get credits from CE provided they already hold cpc entitlement. This can be the 1997 route or having passed Mods 2 and 4 with the CAT C.

It’s a bit of a minefield and, as a result, many folks lose out mainly because their trainer isn’t in a position to offer the facility. Well worth asking the question.

I’m having cpc melt down, just dont know what to do some saying do the test others the 35 hours :question: :confused:. I suppose I’m being a little impatient, but the time I can take leave from work is very limited and the funds are not too great

I choose the 35 hours, purely because I didnt want any more tests and it seamed like the easy option. To be honest though I’m glad i did now because I’ve learned a lot on the courses that i wouldn’t have had a clue about, found them very interesting and usefull.

I’m having cpc melt down, just dont know what to do some saying do the test others the 35 hours :question: :confused:. I suppose I’m being a little impatient, but the time I can take leave from work is very limited and the funds are not too great

I would suggest taking the credits from the driving course. In our case, you would be able to complete the remaining cpc time on Saturdays rather than take time off during the week.

Having said that, there is a lesser time commitment to taking the Initial route - Mods 2 and 4. But they are pass/fail and, regardless of what you may hear, it’s quite possible to fail either though the pass rate is very high.

Hope this may help stop the melt down,