Getting started please help

Hello everyone. My name is Andrew and I am new to truck driving, I’ve had my HGV licence for a few years but I’ve pretty much only used for mot and the odd run out. I am due to do my driver cpc and then I’ll be looking for a job in the Grimsby Lincolnshire area in the UK. I’m Hoping you guys can give some advice to get started. I’m looking for a solid Sat nav. I don’t have a massive bugget at them mo. I’m also looking for advice on equipment I might need when getting started. I’m thinking of getting the sat nav Germin Dezi 560. It’s about as much as I can afford and the cheeky bonus of getting it with my catalog which being able to spread the cost right now is a massive help. If I had to buy second hand I could only afford 80 quid. Have you guys come across these? Apparently they will keep me clear of low bridges and weight restrictions which is what I need as that’s what I’m mostly concerned about. Also what is a good list of bits and bobs to get ready for when I get started? Anything in particular I might need? Any help and advice would go a long way. Plus if anyone knows a good spot to look for a job in Grimsby I’d really appreciate it. I need all the help I can get where jobs are concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Andrew.

Hi mate, before you shell out any cash make sure you can get work. You might not even need a sat nav anyway, the more you do get might be trunk to Liverpool and back and your employer might give you detailed instructions anyway so I’d say save your cash for now. Good luck.

Hi mate. Thanks for that. I’m pretty sure I can get work. Driver Hire in Grimsby have said they can put me to work. I’ll looking for something more stable though.

hgv-trucktables.co.uk/7-inch … at-nav.php

Depending on the work you get, if someone said “junction 31 off M62 take 1St exit and left at roundabout and it’s on your left” you’d find that without wouldn’t you?

For transferring kit from the car boot to the cab , a large sports bag is ideal.
Pillows, sleeping bag and bed sheet if doing nights out, a good quality thermos to save motorway price hikes on hot drinks, but some places charge to fill a thermos with hot water.
Baby wipes to clean steering wheels and they are good to clean yourself.
Being sent on a regular route with written instructions is ok until a road is shut and you diverted on back roads on a night shift with a double deck pallet trailer, your cheap car sat nav will send you under a low bridge, the financial gain from a cheap sat nav will not gain anything if you get fined and loss of
Future job prospects.
Hitting railway bridges can cost thousands of pounds an hour, as trains are delayed, cancelled or diverted.
A trucker atlas with weight limits backed up by a truck sat nav is more beneficial in the long run, some sat navs have t.v. which is good for nights out or waiting to load.

That’s good advice thank you. I’ve got a small kettle and some odds and sods. I’ve also got my self a decent truck sat nav. The Garmin Dezi 560. Brand new and up to date. Have you had any experience with these? Not a cheap one, does not have a TVs but I’m not to worried about that at the mo. I have my laptop and tablet. I’ll look for an upto date truck atles so I’ll always have that with me.