Getting rid of your digicard

A few years back LT and I both got our digicards as we were doing agency work and could have needed them at any time. LT has never used hers, and in fact hasn’t done any driving with a tacho of any kind for about 3 years now. We’ve also in that time moved house (so the address is wrong on it) and got married (so the name is wrong on it). However now we have our own wagon she needs to carry it with her even though our truck is analogue and she has never used her card and is unlikely to use it for the next few years at least.

The issue is we can’t find it…

So the question is this: Given that our truck is not digital and the odds of us buying one that is in the next few years is small, can we just get the thing cancelled somehow, or as she has once had a card does she have no choice but to always have one? We just can’t really be bothered with the hassle (and cost) of getting a replacement for the lost card and then messing about changing the name and address on it for something that isn’t going to get used.

Paul

Report it lost, within 7 days of the event, and then just don’t bother to replace it, there is nothing in the legislation that says you have to replace a lost or stolen card. If you are stopped when LT is driving the fact it was reported lost and a replacement wasn’t issued will be a matter of record so there will be no problem about failing to carry it as a check will show she doesn’t posses a card.

I remember geebee45 answering a similar question a while back and he said at the time no legal requirement to replace it, only to report the loss.

i thought once you got one you always need it with you no matter what type your driving and when you loose one you would have to get one back as there know you had one, the 15 day rule would come into affect would it not and as you were issued with one in the first place and your continuing to drive for a living would that not be illegal not to get it replaced

delboytwo:
i thought once you got one you always need it with you no matter what type your driving and when you loose one you would have to get one back as there know you had one,

If you have been issued one you must carry it but they would know you hadn’t got one any more by the report of the loss and the fact a new one wasn’t issued. A check would show you had not been issued with one.

delboytwo:
the 15 day rule would come into affect would it not

Only if you were driving a digi equipped vehicle, the 15 day rule applies to that type of vehicle.

delboytwo:
and as you were issued with one in the first place and your continuing to drive for a living would that not be illegal not to get it replaced

Not if you were not driving a digi. They cannot force you to spend money on a replacement if you choose not to and all it does by not replacing it is limit you to non digi vehicles, which in the case of Repton and LT isn’t a problem.

I’ve found the thread I remembered where geebee45 answered a similar question back in December 08.

viewtopic.php?p=431619

Coffeeholic:
I’ve found the thread I remembered where geebee45 answered a similar question back in December 08.

viewtopic.php?p=431619

So who do we believe? geebee45 or Conor :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
So who do we believe? geebee45 or Conor :stuck_out_tongue:

In that thread they are probably both right.

Thanks for all the replies, we’ll report it lost and then leave it at that.

Paul