Getting Nervous!

Had my medical which i passed with flying colours which is good news and im working through my highway code,theory questions and also hazard perception tests as well.

Today i had a ride in a truck with one of the instructors from ELGV as i had to pop in to drop some documents off. and i asked if he could show me around one of the wagon (didnt expect to go for a drive!) and i must say im pretty nervous about getting behind the wheel now!

I think its the spacial awareness that i am most worried about and also the gearbox too.

But I am VERY nervous now to get behind the wheel, sounds daft but i have been trying to drive my car like a truck (not using rear view mirror and planning a lot further ahead, imagining taking things a lot wider and plannning parking a lot more thoroughly etc) But even with my basic preparation i got in the wagon today and felt totally under prepared!

I was feeling pretty confident in honesty but i feel like iv bitten off more than i can chew!

Don worry about it, once you get used to the size and width of it you’ll find it a bit more comfortable.

Get onto YouTube and watch some videos of people shifting gears in trucks, I’ve found it to be quite educational.

After a couple of days in the truck you will be well on the way to mastering it, the instructor wont expect you to be amazing.

Dont worry about being nervous , your instructor will guide you through everything just listen and you will be fine , everyone starts in the same boat , look if you did not need to be taught to drive the bigger vehicles anyone could get in and be a truck driver , your instructor will teach you how to get round roads without hitting owt and just remember your mirrors coz thats what will keep you safe

all the best ]

jen x

It’s natural to be nervous, and unnatural to be too confident after a quick drive. This means you will take more care and learn better. Remember you have upto 20 hours in that vehicle b4 test.

i just passed my class 2 on 31st august i was nervous to , but you get used to the size etc just remember to take your time and if you make a mistake dont panic re-compose yourself and carry on , and remember mirrors,mirrors every few seconds you will get used to it and same for the gearbox … good luck mate

If you think you’ve failed then just carry on as normal. When I re-took my car test I accidentally went over the 30mph limit, just for a second or two, I thought it was an instant fail but I carried on as normal back to the test centre. Anyway when I got back I had passed, I explained that I though I failed on speeding but she said it was fine, it showed good control of the vehicle as when I slipped over 30 I immediately eased off to bring it back down to 30 (only went to like 33mph). Didn’t even get a minor for it. I understand it may very well be different for an LGV, just saying don’t give up trying until you’ve finished the test.

Tarrman:
If you think you’ve failed then just carry on as normal. When I re-took my car test I accidentally went over the 30mph limit, just for a second or two, I thought it was an instant fail but I carried on as normal back to the test centre. Anyway when I got back I had passed, I explained that I though I failed on speeding but she said it was fine, it showed good control of the vehicle as when I slipped over 30 I immediately eased off to bring it back down to 30 (only went to like 33mph). Didn’t even get a minor for it. I understand it may very well be different for an LGV, just saying don’t give up trying until you’ve finished the test.

There is ‘speeding’ and there is SPEEDING

Although going over the limit for half a second is technically speeding all examiners be they DSA car, LGV etc or advanced driving police examiners regard momentarily going over the limit and correcting it within a reasonable period (usually 2 or 3 seconds) as not speeding per se

Cheers for the advice guys! Its nice to know some of you felt the same way!

Iv started looking for ‘work experience’ so i can get my self around wagons a bit more to make my self feel a bit more comfortable. I really am excited about doing this for a living… but christ i did get a shock on tuesday!

Anyone fancy offering me a ride along for a few days while i ask daft questions?! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers again for the reassurance! I think i did just have a bit of a realisation moment!