Getting my hgv entitlements back

Hi guys/gals
First of all thanks for allowing me to join this forum, I let my Class 1 lapse a 4years ago when my license was up for renewal I didn’t renew my hgv at the same time (silly thing to do) do I just need to reapply and get a medical to have my hgv entitlements reinstated, I have been looking for the answer to this but can’t find anything am sure it probably has been asked before.
Thanks in advance
John

Timberwolf:
Hi guys/gals
First of all thanks for allowing me to join this forum, I let my Class 1 lapse a 4years ago when my license was up for renewal I didn’t renew my hgv at the same time (silly thing to do) do I just need to reapply and get a medical to have my hgv entitlements reinstated, I have been looking for the answer to this but can’t find anything am sure it probably has been asked before.
Thanks in advance
John

You will also need to get you’re full CPC hours up to date and obviously have you’re drivers card replaced. A bit of a faffing about,.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Timberwolf:
Hi guys/gals
Thanks in advance
John

You will also need to get you’re full CPC hours up to date and obviously have you’re drivers card replaced. A bit of a faffing about,.

Hi thanks for the reply, I should have renewed at the time I think you can do the DCPC modules online via zoom
Thanks again

Timberwolf:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Timberwolf:
Hi guys/gals
Thanks in advance
John

Hi thanks for the reply, I should have renewed at the time I think you can do the DCPC modules online via zoom
Thanks again

Yes you can, driver hire do them at £35 for a 3.5hr session, choose any two modules for a 7 hr module towards your 35 hrs needed.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Timberwolf:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Timberwolf:
Hi guys/gals
Thanks in advance
John

Thanks again

Yes you can, driver hire do them at £35 for a 3.5hr session, choose any two modules for a 7 hr module towards your 35 hrs needed.

If your employed you’d get that free ( cpc ) & I think I got £100 towards medical, I also got paid fuel / traveling time for cpc , agency it all came out my own pocket !!!

You’ll need a D47P (over 45) or D47PU (under 45) which you can order from DVLA then a D4 medical form which you can download or order from DVLA.

The D4 you take to your doc or one of the slightly cheaper docs in a hotel, and send the lot off.

Your biggest headache is likely that if you want it for a job, theres about a 2 week wait round here for any medicals whether GP or hotel docs and god knows how long for the precious little [fb] at DVLA to get out of bed and actually do something with the million or so backlog in various applications.

One extra suggestion. Buy yourself a blood pressure machine. I found Omron are good (docs also use them) as this is pretty much the only thing you might fail on. If bottom pressure is above 90, go see GP first to save losing money on failed medicals.

Oh forgot, if you wear glasses, get a copy of your prescription from opticians. If its more than 2 years old you’ll need a new one. This is even if the docs can do the eyetest bit.

If you want a cheaper one, D4Drivers.co.uk seem good or most GPs can do them but it costs more (£100 at mine).

Good luck with that. Shambolic s***show of an organisation. Don’t hold your breath

lorry-driver.com/2021/07/dvl … again.html

Good luck with that. Shambolic s***show of an organisation. Don’t hold your breath

lorry-driver.com/2021/07/dvl … again.html

Sick of phoning DVLA, have been since May 2020 since they started looking into a heart attack I had, maybe get told the out come before i retire, in 2035

^^^ there we go, two examples from what is a tiny example of the potential driver pool who because of DVLA ineptitude can no longer drive commercially. And they wonder why there is a driver shortage? :imp:

Similar situation here I guess…

I passed my test for a car in 1970 and when I was looking for a job in 1998 I found that I had grandfather rights to drive a 7.5 tonner which I did for a few months then took my test to get a full HGV licence. When I retired in 2006 I renewed my HGV licence as I had doctor that was happy to do my medical for a bottle of wine but in 2015 I decided not to renew it as I had no plans to work again. (I was almost 70 then).
But now I have a problem, the grandfather rights to drive a 7.5 tonner no longer exist when you get older! Now I cannot drive my motorhome and have to re-apply for my HGV licence even though I am never going to drive a truck again.
Daft thing is that I can go to the USA, hire a massive RV and drive it anywhere in the USA that I want…
The motorhome is going and I will buy a caravan to replace it, the total weight of the caravan and my 4WD will be more than the motorhome that I am not allowed to drive now, but it least it keeps me legal … The Law is an ■■■ …!!!

Thanks for the info guys, I have my medical booked for the 30th July what I don’t understand is why can’t you renew your license online it would make things more efficient quicker the technology is already there!
Everything could be filled in online including the D4 medical form after doctor has done his/her bit

Possibly the system might be open to fraud electronically. The paper method requires the doctor’s signature. Also the paperless office is somewhat of a misnomer as the first thing that would probably happen to an electronic copy is that it would be printed out.

Noremac:
Possibly the system might be open to fraud electronically. The paper method requires the doctor’s signature. Also the paperless office is somewhat of a misnomer as the first thing that would probably happen to an electronic copy is that it would be printed out.

It just seems crazy am sure all the information could be verified and held securely I renewed my digicard online without a problem as am sure many of us do.

Noremac:
Also the paperless office is somewhat of a misnomer as the first thing that would probably happen to an electronic copy is that it would be printed out.

I accept we’re talking DVLA here but surely it’s not the norm anymore to print everything out? The odd document but even that is happening less often