Getting good mpg out of v8

Any tips getting some decent mpg out of the v8 best over 5000k as been 6.3

I don’t believe it’s down to driver error as always seen 9s out of previous trucks including another v8.

Any common faults that could be causing this. 560 manual box 750k on her

I no others have mentioned top end setup but does it realy make that much difference.

Is it worth a trip to scantune to see if they can find anything etc or is the trip computer playing silly games with its figures. Unable to realy do tank to tank measurements as it never gets empty holds 2400litres. And always fill up over water where fuel is cheaper if can.

Can’t help with the mechanical side of things tbh. You are right to be wary of the trip computer though. You don’t need to empty the tank to work out figures however; just brim it and jot down your mileage when you do, then next time you fill (doesn’t matter if it’s 1,2,3,4 or 1000 litres) jot down your mileage and work out the figure then.

To get litres to gallons you multiply the ltr figure by 0.2199, to get km to miles multiply the km figure by 0.6214.

My 2015 Scania has a built in gizmo that knocks it into neutral on the crest of a hill free wheels down then picks up when the speed drops below set cruise speed, it also monitors braking I know these are all super dooper new truck add on’s but the principle would work on any truck providing it’s not got a crash box, free wheel down hill and use the exhaust brake too easy your speed down on approach to roundabouts/junctions pretty sure you’ll see a improvement in MPG.

750k I’d get the turbocharger checked to see if its giving the boost it should be. Chances are its well worn and low on boost but having a V8 masks that to some extent as you’ll still be flying past other motors up hills but using more throttle and therefore more fuel than you would’ve.

Has there been done any valve adjustment? How about injectors. Theres also been a few early 560 that didn’t even produce 400hp. Blocking the wastegate was the simplest solution, no fault code will apear if it’s done, just run a bit better.

At what revs are you changing up and down?

Unsure what’s been done to be honest truck come from. Netherlands. Valves clearance was not set at last service. Changing up gears around 1200rpm.

Certainly ain’t down to thrashing it as said used to get 8.5-9 out previous v8 this one is a 2008 .

Well one simple thing is to put a zip tie on the waste gate hose, won’t do any harm and you notice quite quickly if it runs any better. It can aloso be that the wastegate is stuck a bit open. 560 is just a detuned 580.

OVLOV JAY:
At what revs are you changing up and down?

9 mpg from a previous one it sounds like the driver knows how to drive it. :bulb: :wink:

Having said that the torque curve is flat to 1,400 so 1,300 probably wouldn’t hurt.

best ive had is 10.3 :grimacing: normally around 9.4 ish

burnley-si:

44 Ton??

tango boy:

burnley-si:

44 Ton??

only got 2 axles units :wink: :grimacing:

burnley-si:

tango boy:

burnley-si:

44 Ton??

only got 2 axles units :wink: :grimacing:

And…■■? :wink:

DOUBLE PSOT

Icee:
Well one simple thing is to put a zip tie on the waste gate hose, won’t do any harm and you notice quite quickly if it runs any better. It can aloso be that the wastegate is stuck a bit open. 560 is just a detuned 580.

Do V8 scania engines use a waste gate now?
Never used to just wondered.