getting experience

Hi guys

Been told that a good way to get experience is to go out with a driver, apparently if your on the dole thats what they do so you have some hands on work and then make it easier to find work.

Can going out with a driver give you experience and does that count as experience?

Well it wont do any harm and sounds better than saying no experience. It would help most with the company that drivers from, i doubt it would do much with agencys.

In fact one agency i went to suggested i go out with a driver if i knew one. So i did, emailed them twice now and nothing back from them. Although im only 19 and looking for part time work while at uni so bit of a wierd case.

So i would say its a good idea but unlikely to get you any where with agencys.

Edit: Forgot to say i found it worth doing any way as you see how things are done in the “real world”. I did learn a few things, also i went out with my uncle who i get along with really well so actualy had a good time.

Phil

necronick7:
Can going out with a driver give you experience and does that count as experience?

If you are permitted to drive etc then yes it could especially if the company would respond to any outside enquiry to confirm that experience

If just sitting and watching then I would say no

Problem is insurance, not many companies allow it - But I’ve taken passengers on the fly plenty times.

If you say what part of the country you are in, somebody might offer to take you out in a truck for the day, or even just spend a Saturday morning in their yard with them, just looking round and getting used to the atmosphere of it all.

My instructor said to me that if I could get the chance to go out with a driver as a passenger that will go towards experience, and be really good for you leaning the ropes etc. I havent had the chance myself as I dont know another driver.If you get the chance then go for it. :slight_smile:

Problem is insurance, not many companies allow it - But I’ve taken passengers on the fly plenty times.

Often a company/site rule but passenger insurance is part of the minimum level to be legal. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Toast:
My instructor said to me that if I could get the chance to go out with a driver as a passenger that will go towards experience, and be really good for you leaning the ropes etc. I havent had the chance myself as I dont know another driver.If you get the chance then go for it. :slight_smile:

Yep, I did the same when I started, a mate took me out on a Sunday up to Fleet Street in London with rolls of newsprint on a roped and sheeted flat trailer. I have done the same with friends who have just passed their test.

The usual score is that you wouldn’t expect to be paid for doing this, but the driver buys breakfast.

Harry Monk:
Yep, I did the same when I started, a mate took me out on a Sunday up to Fleet Street in London with rolls of newsprint on a roped and sheeted flat trailer. I have done the same with friends who have just passed their test.

The usual score is that you wouldn’t expect to be paid for doing this, but the driver buys breakfast.

Sounds like a good deal to me. :sunglasses:

Not many company do the drivers "Mate " now tbh

Could be of advantage to both if they did as that is how people use to learn