Getting charged for minor damage

How many quality companies charge for damage and how many drivers would put their hand in their pockets?
I got a new actross and on second day I ■■■■■■■ the step on a kurb while reversing, unknown to me the step is around 6inch lower than Volvo and this wasn’t pointed out to me on the training briefing 2 days before.

My company doesn’t charge for damage and i wouldn’t put my hand in my pocket either, and as regards to your damaged step you can’t blame it on the fact that you wasn’t told at the breifing, it’s a different truck you should check these things.

Not having a dig but did’nt your legs notice the first time you climbed into the cab :question: Mike

You still on for RB??

If so was that you in palmer and Harvey’s in aylesford tues morning??

Crikey half the drivers at my place would end up working for nothing!!! minor damage does occur it’s when a driver is doing it on a regular basis.

What your fellow drivers may think of your ability or lack of it is incentive enough for most drivers to avoid damage, the mark of a good driver is when he or she is genuinely upset when such an incident occurs, those with a couldn’t care less attitude and who cause damage to vehicles on a weekly basis really **** me off.

A driver cannot legally be made to pay unless it is specifically stated in their contract and IMO no sensible driver would sign such a contract

To those of you that have to pay for damage, do you also get some extra cash when you get an extra trip in?

we dont get billed for small minor bumps but any big stuff expected to pay the excess as small firm and all payed for so he likes them kept in good nick for resale value

Yeah I know blaming the training is a but weak but when you’re given 45 mins on indicators etc some useful info would’ve help.
The cab is higher therefore it should e further from floor :slight_smile:.
It was a genuine mistake that was made worse because its a new motor.
The question is how many drivers personally insure their employers trucks?

I wouldn’t pay. I’d help fix it but I wouldn’t put my hand in my pocket unless it was something I’d broken in the cab that was someone else’s or I had really been an idiot with it. An accident is an accident, if they want you to be 100% perfect and pay for damage then their wages should reflect that.

You are joking about them not pointing out the steps on an actros are lower than that on a Volvo arnt you??

Should of notice it was lower when you did your before use walk around or do you just jump in and go!

Mr B:
How many quality companies charge for damage and how many drivers would put their hand in their pockets?
I got a new actross and on second day I [zb] the step on a kurb while reversing, unknown to me the step is around 6inch lower than Volvo and this wasn’t pointed out to me on the training briefing 2 days before.

Are you blind? Do your eyes not work?

I’ve not bent a step on a kerb in nearly 2 decades of driving trucks and thats despite being agency for a lot of the time never driving the same make or model of wagon 2 weeks in a row.

Some people shouldn’t be doing the job…

hutpik:
Not having a dig but did’nt your legs notice the first time you climbed into the cab :question: Mike

I tend to notice the extra steps, as its usually when I end up with scuffed shins after hitting the extra step on the way down out of the cab.
Somehow, subconsciously my mind is acustomed to there being only 3 steps on a truck

Last bloke I worked for deducted money from my wages to pay for damage that wasn’t even my fault, but was caused by a defective fifth wheel, as I repeatedly tried pointing out to him.

He soon paid up when the Small Claims Court Summons dropped through his letterbox. :wink:

The week after I jacked the job in because of this, the driver who replaced me was pulling out of Sealane’s yard and the trailer fell of of the back of the unit at about 20mph and caused £2,500s worth of damage.

So none of you lot have ever damaged a truck? All damage can be avoided but miss judgments happen.

Sorry but screwdrivers come to mind :unamused: If your not aware of your spatial awareness then you really shouldn’t be driving a truck!! If you’re close to a kerb then reposition…or get out and look! dcpc will sort this :unamused: Or will it :wink:

I cracked a NS mirror glass the other day (the second in 2 years FFS) and had to fill in a ■■■■■■■ accident form :unamused: :imp:

dri-diddly-iver:
Sorry but screwdrivers come to mind :unamused: If your not aware of your spatial awareness then you really shouldn’t be driving a truck!! If you’re close to a kerb then reposition…or get out and look! dcpc will sort this :unamused: Or will it :wink:

Never damaged a truck? Actually, can you even drive a lorry lol?

They tried fitting a proximity sensor to the N/S of our units which has an audible alarm and a visual traffic light system going from green to red, red obviously meaning you’re getting close everyone was trained, and yes you’ve already guessed the steps still get wrecked.

The same system was fitted to the rear of the trailers only this one applies the trailer brakes when you are 1 metre away from any obstruction good idea, except numpty driver instead of listening out for the hiss of the brake valve coming off he or she keeps the boot on the gas wrecking the clutch and slamming the trailer into the bay.

This is the same firm which had to put a locking device on the clutch fluid reservoir to stop it being filled with screen wash.
The odd scrape is part and parcel of transport always has been always will, the same may also be said of inept drivers.