Get yer wallet out, again!

DVLA have said .drivers ARE TO BE CHARGED £38 for our new smart card’s, this fee is necessary to help recoup the cost of developing the system, THANKS, any thing else you want developing, we dont mind paying!!!

Did I detect a note of sarcasm in there TopCat■■? :laughing:

Well, I’m not paying out 38 quid.

nor am i,DHL will though.and i can see alot more driver’s leaving if that’s the case. :wink:

MMMMMM!!! what about ex pats that still hold an HGV…I wonder if we need the new smart cards if we want to keep our UK License■■?

Does anyone know■■?

Bully

Best thing we can all do is boycott it and not buy the cards.
The eu wants digital tacho`s so they should pay for the cards!!!

Bully:
MMMMMM!!! what about ex pats that still hold an HGV…I wonder if we need the new smart cards if we want to keep our UK License■■?

Does anyone know■■?

Bully

Or people, like myself, who have a licence but are not currently employed as a driver.

I also read that these cards will need to be renewed every five years.

You should only need to get one when you want to drive a vehicle with a digital tacho…your actual licence will still be valid without. :wink:

Why are you going to pay for your own tacho card? do you pay for your own wheelbrace and fuel? Would you pay for a box of tacho charts?

Like Lucy said, the card is only to drive a truck with a digital tachograph. It is not a driving licence, you already have that!

Wheel Nut:
Would you pay for a box of tacho charts?

i do pay for my own tachos :frowning:

i hate to add to this but the cards will only be issued to those who have the new licence with the photocard thing. those who still have the old paper only type licence will need to have it replaced first. that includes me :cry:

Quote: “i do pay for my own tachos”

I thought your employer had a legal obligation to provide you with tachos.

scanny77:
i do pay for my own tachos :frowning:

Why ? Are you an owner-driver?

its just easier to have a couple of hundred kicking around for emergencies. with some jobs i have been to, i didnt even see a TM. thats your wagon, off you go. it doesnt hurt to carry them around. a couple of hundred has lasted me a few years anyway. most people supply but its better to be prepared

scanny77:
its just easier to have a couple of hundred kicking around for emergencies. with some jobs i have been to, i didnt even see a TM. thats your wagon, off you go. it doesnt hurt to carry them around. a couple of hundred has lasted me a few years anyway. most people supply but its better to be prepared

I supposed you’d be one to say you’d be happy to pay for your smart card too then right :question: plus why don’t you help your bosses out by filling their wagons up out of your own pocket too just for good measure :question: :imp: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

i wont pay for the new card. i have told them that when i did the survey and i have said it in forums. the tachos were bought about 4 years ago and i still have over 150 left. they were my own choice to make my life a bit easier. i wont be forced into this though. the government want us to use cards, fine, they have my details in swansea. they can send a card to me :imp:

mrpj:
Quote: “i do pay for my own tachos”

I thought your employer had a legal obligation to provide you with tachos.

The DO have a legal obligation to provide you with them. We always seem to get six a week - I always save the sixth, unused one at the end of the week, ‘just in case’. I’ve got about twenty spares in my bag.

Deaks is correct, they DO have a legal requirement to supply you with the correct discs for your tacho, and an adequate number of them for you to complete your job.

If the box of tachos you bought, Scanny, was correct for every wagon you have driven in the last four years, you were very lucky.
Although most heads look the same, there are differences between the manufacturers and their models. Mainly in the alignment of the needles.

It is quite easy to tell if you have the correct disc for your tacho head.
First, is it the right centre boss? There are three different types.
Second, do the E numbers match? They are printed on the back of the disc, and on a label in the tacho head.

If the E numbers dont match your tacho, that is worse than failing to keep records. Have you got a box of Veeder Root cards as well?

What happens if you drive for a company who use serial numbers, blank cards make it look like you are fiddling.

It is the employers responsibility to supply sufficient Tachograph cards for the current week plus extra in case of consfication.

It is also the employers responsibility to supply diesel, unless you work for Peter Cook or Janerite Services :smiley:

I had no idea there were different tacho disks for different tachos, they all seem to fit everyone of them, just thought they were different colours for different manufacturers. Why does nobody bother to tell us these things? It wasnt in the handbook, it wasnt explained by an instructor, or even by an examiner. How can we be expected to know everything like these minor details? The sooner we have a standardised system the better, but I dont think we should have to pay for it, and I certainly wont be dipping into my pocket for it.

allrighty:
I had no idea there were different tacho disks for different tachos, they all seem to fit everyone of them, just thought they were different colours for different manufacturers. Why does nobody bother to tell us these things? It wasnt in the handbook, it wasnt explained by an instructor, or even by an examiner. How can we be expected to know everything like these minor details? The sooner we have a standardised system the better, but I dont think we should have to pay for it, and I certainly wont be dipping into my pocket for it.

Its the employers responsibility to ensure you are trained and that the correct discs are available to fit the tacho, once trained it is your responsibility to use the correct tacho chart for the typ eof instrument.

Just a thought : Does it really make any difference in the end of the day if we pay for tachoes and digi cards our selfes, as surely we are just going to put it down as Job Expenses on our Tax Allowances. So if the card cost £35 and we put it down as Job expense doesn’t that mean we pay £35 less in tax ■■?

By the way, what else do you guys put down as Job Expenses ?
It’s my first time doing this tax thingie here in the UK.

■■
Jo