Get in the sea!

Settle an argument here folks.

Just had a twitter spat with a guy who swears he was undertaken on the M80 tonight by a P&O lorry doing over 70mph on the flat.

I explained that it was unlikely as the truck in question would have a speed limiter installed and would be more likely to be just a tad under 60. Maybe you just overestimated the speed?

No! He replies that he drove trucks for over 30 years and has never heard of trucks having a speed limiter fitted.

Now we all know that the last statement is b****cks but has anyone ever seen or witnessed a speed limiter fail in such a manner that it would allow a unit to go over 70mph?

Well in theory if I was in my old Man auto and I switched the motorway driving button on then I found a nice portion of motorway that had a decline I could easily do over 80mph.
Although the limiter stopped me accelerating past 55mph if I stuck it in neutral the weight of the trailer and a decent hill would easily push me to 80 plus mph

rabb:

Just had a twitter spat with a guy who swears he was undertaken on the M80 tonight by a P&O lorry doing over 70mph on the flat.

I explained that it was unlikely as the truck in question would have a speed limiter installed and would be more likely to be just a tad under 60. Maybe you just overestimated the speed?

No! He replies that he drove trucks for over 30 years and has never heard of trucks having a speed limiter fitted.

Now we all know that the last statement is b****cks but has anyone ever seen or witnessed a speed limiter fail in such a manner that it would allow a unit to go over 70mph?

Yes.

A.

Even as a newbie, I quickly discovered that a nice downhill could push me past the limited speed, especially if I turned the auto exhaust brake off.

I’ve no doubt that there are those out there that have no problems disabling a speed limiter device, enabling god know what speed on the flat.

About 1200rpm @ 90kph? So 400 rpm per
30kph. Therefore 2000rpm gives 150kph or about 90mph.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

It’s nothing to do with the limiter failing my friend it’s just that some firms are a little more liberal with said limiter.
P&O trailer would suggest it’s a ferry trailer being pulled by a subbie. Wasn’t an Irish unit by any chance?

F90 MAN’s could still have a working limiter, but were quite capable of cruising at 95mph if you knew where and what to adjust, limiter still working correctly at the 70mph they were set at.

No reason the bloke hasn’t found a workaround, however i don’t think he’ll last long at a genuine 70 these days cos you’d stick out like a sore thumb.

Yep, had one of ours with a tachograph and limiter problem once the whole thing quit and we had the truck up to 75mph down the m3.

rabb:

Coming down Castlecary southbound but you’d have to be steaming first probably about 63 on the flat before the grade. Once under the railway viaduct the grade works against you. Nowhere else there really.

hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
happy button engaged…must make boat…on the cruise at 75…just another normal day in paradise… :sunglasses:

Passed me late this afternoon too i reckon. White actros from an Ayr based haulier, shiny new P&O ferry trailer. He wasnt exactly flying but had a couple km’s on me. Your mates definitely over dramatising it. I blame social media and the gutter press. Everybody wants something/someone to villify.

Juddian:
F90 MAN’s could still have a working limiter, but were quite capable of cruising at 95mph if you knew where and what to adjust, limiter still working correctly at the 70mph they were set at.

No reason the bloke hasn’t found a workaround, however i don’t think he’ll last long at a genuine 70 these days cos you’d stick out like a sore thumb.[/quote

theres always a time and a place. :slight_smile:

5/6 years ago my something failed (tacho / limiter?) on my old Volvo, 74mph going past the Metrocentre…

My old F12 400 would do 78mph no problem. Many ways to disable an old limiter and just as easy to reprogramme a digital limiter/tacho…

A pre-digi DAF Xf with fuse 19 pulled errrrr I mean blown would have you bouncing along quite nicely. So my mate Pavel told me.

Never beat this truck for speed :smiley:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ij2UplGPIGo

I do miss my old 3 series Scania, on the wire and off the clock.

On a side note, just been driving a new Daf with auto brake and adaptive cruise control, ■■■■ those are nasty gadgets.

Speed limiters can fail as I found out a couple of years ago when I had a 2005 FH, the tacho warning light came on the dash, I thought nothing of it until I got on the M57 foot to the floor expecting it to stop at 56mph but it kept going. I didn’t notice straight away until I started passing everything

rabb:

Not on a flat, no. 57 or 58 and that was in a truck with a miscalibrated speedo – the speedo said 56, the sat-nav said 58.

But … once, in a loaded 26-tonner, going down the Reigate hill on the M25, I did hit 73mph IIRC. I glanced down at my dashboard, saw that and slowed down as quickly as I reasonably could, and imagined myself getting pulled over and swearing blind to a copper that the machine wasn’t capable of that speed.

Fully freighted dd going down a hill would have no qualms.