Get a job stacking shelves then

limeyphil:
people that work by the hour have [zb]ed up this industry.
i agree with most of what the OP has said, but what is this word “coz”?
i also don’t believe he runs his own business though, as some of the tax he refers to was abolished in 1985.

I do run my own company, although its not a haulage company the principles are the same, however I started in haulage as an apprentice mechanic in the 80`s (must have been where I accumulated my infinite knowledge of the tax mine field) then drove them for numerous years and still drive on a good few occasions a year for my friend and ex employer just to keep my hand in as it were and I also miss it terribly.
I bought my own digicard out of my own pocket, I will be paying for my dcpc out of my own pocket, I will be paying for my ADR out of my own pocket.
It is not until you work for your self that you see the bigger picture and what is involved in running a business.
No matter what industry you are in, the employee always wants more money, will always moan about wanting more money, will always moan they dont get enough paid time off, will always moan about feeling undervalued, will always moan about doing to many hours.
The word “coz” was a poor attempt at humoring the language used by youths today. :stuck_out_tongue:

daveb0789:

Harry Monk:
We could distort the Law of Supply and Demand slightly if we were a heavily unionised industry but we aren’t.

What about tanker drivers ? They seem to have a good deal for themselves.

Also haven’t seen the OP reply. Is he/she trolling to get a reaction ?

Was simply writing a reply to Limey, just checked back and seemed to have caused quite a stir. :laughing:

In days gone by people moaned about hours,wages, conditions, but it did not just stop there.
They took on the same bull some would have us swallow now and in the end won pension rights better conditions and a true living wage.
What are we to do now?
Forget all the past progress and roll over because we have excess workers from further afield who keep coming and getting jobs we are told don’t exist anymore?
Time to wake up me thinks and remeber our working class roots!

Harry Monk:
The bottom line is that we live in a free market economy and the value of labour is dictated by the Law of Supply and Demand. The only total alternative to a free market economy is a command economy, i.e. Communism, where wages are set by central Government.

We could distort the Law of Supply and Demand slightly if we were a heavily unionised industry but we aren’t.

Watch out Harry, Carryfast will be crawling out from under his rock to expand on your post. Then we’re all fu[zb]ed! :laughing:

One of my own customers has a factory producing puddings, (the sweet type, not stupid people), the workforce is 95% polish, why? well they will get up at midnight to start work at 1am for not much more than the minimum wage, the puddings are on the shelves in supermarkets for £1.99, what would the average uk employee demand for his attempt at turning up at that time and putting in a p*ss poor performance, how much would my customer have to sell the puddings for then? could anybody afford to buy them? The polish go in, work hard and productively and then go home, end of.
The English would turn up at 12.59am have a ■■■ break, moan about getting up in the middle of the night, moan about only being on £8.50 per hour, trail around putting overalls on etc and would`nt really start working (and I use the term working very loosely) until 01.45am.
The majority of the british workforce has been their own worst enemy over the years.

EastAnglianTrucker:

Harry Monk:
The bottom line is that we live in a free market economy and the value of labour is dictated by the Law of Supply and Demand. The only total alternative to a free market economy is a command economy, i.e. Communism, where wages are set by central Government.

Watch out Harry, Carryfast will be crawling out from under his rock to expand on your post. Then we’re all fu[zb]ed! :laughing:

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

I really struggle to understand how the majority of people on here don’t seem to be able to grasp this very basic fact, this is primary school stuff people.

Go and spend some time on eBay to learn how supply and demand works.

To all the people who don’t understand, do you not shop about to get the best deals on energy, mobiles, petrol, food and anything else you spend your money on? Is it not hypocritical to have ago a a company for doing the same?

marsden:
One of my own customers has a factory producing puddings, (the sweet type, not stupid people), the workforce is 95% polish, why? well they will get up at midnight to start work at 1am for not much more than the minimum wage, the puddings are on the shelves in supermarkets for £1.99, what would the average uk employee demand for his attempt at turning up at that time and putting in a p*ss poor performance, how much would my customer have to sell the puddings for then? could anybody afford to buy them? The polish go in, work hard and productively and then go home, end of.
The English would turn up at 12.59am have a ■■■ break, moan about getting up in the middle of the night, moan about only being on £8.50 per hour, trail around putting overalls on etc and would`nt really start working (and I use the term working very loosely) until 01.45am.
The majority of the british workforce has been their own worst enemy over the years.

with each worker turning over £200 per hour, it wouldn’t make any difference to the shelf price if they gave the worker £10 per hour.

Darb:

C10HOO:
At the end of the day, you know the wages before taking to job so you can’t really twine they’re low.

Let’s say you’ve been in your current job for 5+ years and considered the wage ok when you started, but every year your boss uses the current economic climate to say “sorry no pay rise again this year”(I’m not saying all are using this excuse but a lot are) so after a few years you would have expected your wages to rise yearly but they haven’t, then is it ok to have a little twine ■■ :smiley:

Is it an excuse? Or is it reality?

Many Hauliers especially the smaller ones haven’t seen the rates rise as fast (if at all) as the costs of running the business.
Now the smart arses on on here say well they should put their rates up, but if they do then will they get to the work or will the company down the road do it cheaper, then the end result is that they end up out of business and you end up out of a job or working for the company down the road as the last in.

But yes have a moan about it, won’t achieve much though.
Of course if you have a boss open to ideas, you might be able to come up with ways of reducing costs and splitting it between the drivers and the company.
But then you also need a group of drivers who are willing to change their ways a little :open_mouth: and don’t have the attitude of why should I bother not my job.

Stuff yur puddings and yur minimum wage!
From what you say it would seem you would like us all to be on minimum wage tending a machine with a broom handle up our arse so we can sweep up on the way to the loo.
Not all polish workers are happy with the setup here but the fact is they have been exploited and in the industrial dark ages forever in their own countries and now we have unscrupulous free marketeers trying to do the same here and to us on the backs of these poor people…
Its a sad day if we allow this to happen we know better and should expect better too.
No matter how you dress it up exploitation is just that and should be challenged wherever its ugly head appears.

marsden:
‘…Be thankful you have a job at these knackered times due to a greedy government …’

Have some sympathy, mate - the Government is simply trying to service the UK’s EU subscription on behalf of you as a EU citizen from its ■■■■■ that’s become tattered in handing out willy-nilly to the irresponsible neighbour’s kids.

The devil lies in that unrecognised detail :smiling_imp:

Whether shelf-stacker or wheel-monkey is largely irrelevant when the master in Brussels is beyond being negotiated with.

Own the ■■■■-up that the polling booth consistently returns us with, why not :question:

There’s no point of picking-up on the discontent from our corner of the industry when unrest is riddling all other industries that Van Rumpuy’s UK domain administrators are wrecking/selling/giving-away too…

mickyblue:
But people would rather be unemployed then take a £7 an hour job, that’s sad.

This old saying get’s my goat

why do it for less than someone sweeping or mopping a cafe floor?

Where’s the respect in that?

So your saying that person who works hard to bring in a few quid for their family shouldn’t get any respect?. At the end of the day your a lorry driver and their an cleaner, both are different jobs. Why should a lorry driver get more respect then a cleaner?. The same goes for me, why should i get more respect then a cleaner because i am a police officer?

Nope personally i would respect the cleaner more than any police officer!

limeyphil:
why do it for less than a policeman?
you don’t need any qualifications, just a brain dead attitude, and an ability to follow orders.

Always thought a total in-ability to apply any common sense was also a pre-requisite of being a police officer■■? Ooh and don’t forget total lack of empathy too! Always the do as I say not do as I do attitude

Harry Monk:
Here’s an analogy to consider.

There’s two sausage shops next to each other selling identical sausages. Same size, same shape, same ingredients, identical in every way.

One shop has a sign in the window reading “Sausages £2 a lb. Our staff earn £6.20 an hour”

The other one has a reading “Sausages £5 a lb. Our staff earn £15 an hour, have pensions, a subsidised canteen and free healthcare”

Who among us could afford to be principled enough to buy from the second sausage shop?

The John Lewis Partnership and Waitrose seem to be doing OK :smiley: One of their USPs is they’re are Partnership and their employees have a share in the business. I know the wages aren’t in the £20 per hour league but they are not paying minimum wage either.

The fact of the matter is work should pay a living wage. Personnaly I have no problem with putting the hours in, don’t expect a new unit every year or so, look after the vehicle and keep an eye on the fuel comsuption etc etc. All I want in return is a decent living wage for my efforts and to be treated with some respect. Instead what do I get, an hourly rate lower than I was earning 10 years ago with no enhancements for nights and overtime. ■■■■■■■ great that’s a real incentive to work hard.

In a lot of the larger companies I think management should look at themselves rather than blame employees for the companies problems all the time. Got a driver that hangs the job out all the time? Then fit trackers to the fleet, indentify who they are then make it a disciplinary matter. Scruffy driver? Issue a uniform or have a clothing allowence and make it a disciplinary matter not to look presentable. Despite what the media says it’s not that hard to sack an employee it just takes time and strict adherance to the proceedure. I know this because I used to work in management. Instead a lot of the managers I have worked for seem to spend more time playing pointless polictical games or checking their facebook profile.

mickyblue:

So your saying that person who works hard to bring in a few quid for their family shouldn’t get any respect?. At the end of the day your a lorry driver and their an cleaner, both are different jobs. Why should a lorry driver get more respect then a cleaner?. The same goes for me, why should i get more respect then a cleaner because i am a police officer?

At no time did I say we deserved more respect than a cleaner, but we do deserve more money.
It costs more to get licences, takes more training, is a more challenging job, costs money to stay legit, there’s higher risks in the job including fines, accidents, being robbed etc.

I said, there’s no respect in driving a truck for less than cleaners wages, and I stand by that, when the wages are that low, I refuse to drive a truck, simple.

waynedl:
being robbed etc.

Nice attempt at jazzing the job up.

mickyblue:

I thought GCSE English was a requirement to become a bobby these days?

Saaamon:

waynedl:
being robbed etc.

Nice attempt at jazzing the job up.

not really.

i’ve had diesel stolen in south wales.
unit broken into in romania.
money stolen in belarus.
and robbed of my hard earned by the german, and the french police.

marsden:

LIES!

I’ve worked in places with English and Polish workforce, and the Polish DID NOT work harder than the English, if anything, after 3mths, the opposite applied.

I think minimum wage is about right for any factory job and any hours, we used to do 3 shift patterns, 6-2, 2-10, 10-6, and all were paid at just above minimum wage - we got a shift allowance which is what took it above minimum wage.
Nobody moaned, we didn’t have time to moan, we just got on with it.
It was actually a really good job, there was a set start time, a set finish time, set break times - although you could go for a ■■■■ when you needed 1, your work mates just covered you whilst you went, there was no ■■■■ taking.

A company in Leeds employs nothing but Polish people, and they are the slowest, laziest, moaning gits around, used to tip containers in there and it was an aweful place to deliver to.

So often I hear this same argument, and it’s bull. There are lazy English people, but I blame the benefit system for that, if they had to earn their money instead of getting it handed to them on a platter, they would.

I’ve nothing against the foreign work force in our country, I don’t believe they’ve driven down the wages too much - they DO NOT work for less than us. I don’t like the fact that they can claim benefits for their family that isn’t in the country though.

jamdoms:
Stuff yur puddings and yur minimum wage!
From what you say it would seem you would like us all to be on minimum wage tending a machine with a broom handle up our arse so we can sweep up on the way to the loo.
Not all polish workers are happy with the setup here but the fact is they have been exploited and in the industrial dark ages forever in their own countries and now we have unscrupulous free marketeers trying to do the same here and to us on the backs of these poor people…
Its a sad day if we allow this to happen we know better and should expect better too.
No matter how you dress it up exploitation is just that and should be challenged wherever its ugly head appears.

Someone offers a wage to do a job, either someone accepts it or not, the offer will increase untill someone takes the offer or dissapear because it has become unprofitable. Where’s the exploitation?