German speeding fines seem quite resonable!

I was caught speeding yesterday, 90kmh in a 60 (main road, I wasn’t roaring through a village!) and was dreading the amount I was going to be fined until he said €185. Thought that was a bit of a bargain considering. The Italians have tried to extract €390 from me several times for going 5kmh over on a motorway.

The Eyeties must like my pretty little face cos when I got done last year for being in a 7.5 tonne weight limit, they only relieved me of 36 euros.

Did he mention the points that you will get as well, these go on your account at Flensburg, i will have to look but i do believe you have 3points for this offence ,

Ooooo do points mean prizes?! Seriously though, it shouldn’t be a problem since I don’t do Germany much. Funny thing was though it was a full on Police/BAG check. We’ve just started doing ADR work and thanks to the useful advice on this site I told the boss I needed 3 fire extingushers which I went out and spent €200 on the day before, the buggers didn’t even want to see them! Maybe just as well since they might have fined me for them all being in the passenger footwell having not got the boxes to mount them outside yet.

No they should not as long as the door is unlocked, you can say that you have had
too many items stolen whilst on the road and it,s policy to have them stowed in the floorwell passengers side , and just get a sticker showing a fire extinguisher and
place it on or by the passenger door,Now as for the speeding fine
JUST TO CHEER YOU UP, the person who stops you for speeding can if they so wish
fine you for every time you speed over the limit, if you speed more than once in the driving period, plus speeding with ADR loaded ON THE TRUCK BRINGS MORE POINTS AND ALSO BIGGER FINES; :smiley: Have a nice Day,

brit pete:
No they should not as long as the door is unlocked, you can say that you have had
too many items stolen whilst on the road and it,s policy to have them stowed in the floorwell passengers side , and just get a sticker showing a fire extinguisher and
place it on or by the passenger door,Now as for the speeding fine
JUST TO CHEER YOU UP, the person who stops you for speeding can if they so wish
fine you for every time you speed over the limit, if you speed more than once in the driving period, plus speeding with ADR loaded ON THE TRUCK BRINGS MORE POINTS AND ALSO BIGGER FINES; :smiley: Have a nice Day,

my god man your a mine of information. It’s very handy to know that about the extinguishers as only a few of us have ADR licences and kitting out all the trailers would be a bit impractical, not to mention the theft issue which you raised.

As for the speeding it seems I got off very lightly. Was my first experence of tge German authorities and I must say they were plesant and reasonable chaps.

switchlogic:
Ooooo do points mean prizes?! Seriously though, it shouldn’t be a problem since I don’t do Germany much. Funny thing was though it was a full on Police/BAG check. We’ve just started doing ADR work and thanks to the useful advice on this site I told the boss I needed 3 fire extingushers which I went out and spent €200 on the day before, the buggers didn’t even want to see them! Maybe just as well since they might have fined me for them all being in the passenger footwell having not got the boxes to mount them outside yet.

H switchlogic, I assume we’re talking about a truck of Cat “C” or “C+E” ?
(ADR treats all trucks of <7.5t GVW as the same when it comes to fire-extinguishers.)

The minimum requirement is 1 x 2kg + 1 x 10kg (Total = 12kg) for those sizes of vehicle, so you could actually get way with only two extinguishers.
However, in practice, a 10kg extinguisher can be expensive to buy, so I’d advise that it’s perfectly OK to have 1 x 2kg + 2 x 6kg, which neatly puts you 2kg above the minimum.

When the vehicle is subject to ADR, the requirement is that the fire-extinguishers must be readily accessible AND protected from the effects of the weather.
Unfortunately, ADR doesn’t have a definition for ‘readily accessible,’ so I’d advise that it’ll probably come down to a particular officer’s opinion at a roadside check. Whilst it’s common sense to have a sticker on the fire-extinguisher box to indicate that it contains a fire-extinguisher, that’s not an ADR requirement, but it might possibly be written in some other Regs somewhere…

Thanks chaps for the great and useful info. Both me and the company are new to ADR work so we’re both learning. That’s why I spent 14 hours in Dover as the dangerous goods notes were wrong and P&O wouldn’t ship me. Well live and learn, I won’t let that happen again. Just been to B&Q so now have a fire extingusher sticker on passenger door.

switchlogic:
Thanks chaps for the great and useful info. Both me and the company are new to ADR work so we’re both learning. That’s why I spent 14 hours in Dover as the dangerous goods notes were wrong and P&O wouldn’t ship me. Well live and learn, I won’t let that happen again. Just been to B&Q so now have a fire extingusher sticker on passenger door.

Hi switchlogic, Your boss should have appointed a properly qualified DGSA to sort out the kind of problems that you encountered.
BTW, appointing a qualified DGSA is a legal requirement on your boss if you regularly carry loads which are subject to ADR.

I’m sorry to say this mate, but I’m not surprised that P&O wouldn’t ship you if your DGN(s) weren’t in order.
That’s because IMDG is far stricter than ADR, especially in regard to documentation.

I do hope that you’re paid by the hour. :wink:

We do it for K&N who’s work it is. They sorted it in the end it was a fairly minor thing but I have no problem with P&O doing things properly. I just went to Dover truckstop and went to bed! I let other people worry about it, that’s not my job.

Have another ““TIP”” or two, carry spare battery’s & Blubs for the warning lights
and your torch also if possible get hold of spare seals for the extingquisher,
BEFORE any one starts to shout ,
the main problem with ADR checks has been the seal missing
although the extinguisher is 100% in working order a missing seal can cost
you lots of Euro,s , and they official’s do know the difference between a
in working order and one that is U/S;;;; IF YOU HAVE a gas mask in your kit
carry a spare filter , which has a long shelf life date,

brit pete:
BEFORE any one starts to shout ,
the main problem with ADR checks has been the seal missing
although the extinguisher is 100% in working order a missing seal can cost
you lots of Euro,s , and they official’s do know the difference between a
in working order and one that is U/S;;;;

Hi Pete, I’ll start shouting then… shouting that I agree. :smiley:

The seal is part of ADR’s specifications for an extinguisher, so if the seal is missing… you ain’t got an extinguisher. :open_mouth:
I’m afraid that it’s not possible to mitigate by saying “but it’s only a missing seal,” cos you’ve either got an extinguisher or you haven’t.

brit pete:
IF YOU HAVE a gas mask in your kit
carry a spare filter , which has a long shelf life date, [/b]

I’d agree with that too Pete, so now we’ve set a record…

:open_mouth: I’ve agreed with you twice in one post. :open_mouth: :wink: :grimacing:

This is another TIP and was how I used to work I would place
in both doors a Eye wash bottle and have both doors unlocked
when working so in the event of needing the eyewash bottle I
could get to one quickly, as accidents do happen ,