George Taylor & Sons

I know the company is still going strong,the trucks are still seen on the road doing containers,but years ago they ran only British trucks like Leyland’s,Foden’s & ERF’s.Obviously British trucks are no longer available and they now run Volvo’s and Scania’s like these…

As far as I know they are still based in Parsons St in the centre of Bristol,I remember years ago when I drove for Goodways going in their for diesel or to lift on a box,they had an old gantry to lift loaded boxes and it really was a family business with the old man in the yard (followed by his ever faithfull Alsation) and his sons in the office or in the yard.
They were all very friendly and helpful too.

They also used to have an old yank truck parked in the workshop that they were going to restore to drag 20’ boxes to and from S.Wales,I wonder if it’s still there?

I think they have a small container park now on the Avonmouth Ind. Est…?
Still friendly. :laughing:

hadn’t seen them about for a while and was wondering if they’d packed up.

always, always immaculate motors - ERF’s i remember them for - OD mate of mine bought one of their old ones of a dealer and it was mint.

saw a couple of the FH’s on chievely not long back - gave me a bit of a buzz if you know what i mean to see that they’re still about and turning the kit out well - as ever.

a very professional, traditional outfit.

vernonbish777:
hadn’t seen them about for a while and was wondering if they’d packed up.

always, always immaculate motors - ERF’s i remember them for - OD mate of mine bought one of their old ones of a dealer and it was mint.

saw a couple of the FH’s on chievely not long back - gave me a bit of a buzz if you know what i mean to see that they’re still about and turning the kit out well - as ever.

a very professional, traditional outfit.

George Taylor are indeed alive & well - I’m one of their customers.

They’re still at Parson Street in Bedminster, but the empty storage yard is down at Ashton. As you’ve seen, they have tried both Scania and Volvo after the demise of ERF - I think that Scania is the choice for the future.

The last time I was in their yard, the American thing was still in the shed (best place for it!) - I don’t think that there was any intention to run it, just to have it as a play machine. There was also a pre-war Morris-Commercial (I think) in there too.

A lovely fleet, yes, and very straightforward and genuine people to deal with.

Nice kit kept up to the mark. It’s nice to hear of decent people too. How big is their fleet?

tartanraider:
Nice kit kept up to the mark. It’s nice to hear of decent people too. How big is their fleet?

20 or so, I think

george taylors is still oparating out of bedminster in bristol . i have worked there nerly 10 years . their is about 19 trucks on the road and 6 sub contractors hauling shipping containers out of all the uk major ports. the drivers are a very loyal band of lads and all have put many years in at this company.most of the drivers have come from a lot of local haulage firms {inc} JA BUNNS… /AD HILL TRANSPORT/SWEETINGS/ JOSEPH FISH/DALGETY AGRICULTURE/ WITWELLS/DENHOLMS ETC .the yard is a very modern set up with a traditanal feel. they have 2 heavy lifters and empty container lifters at the ashton yard.the old truck in the garage mention in aprevios post is a bedford not a morris and the yank truck mentioned was a autocar . this has been sold . last seen at nibly show with a low loader behind her. the fleet is a mix of volvo fh and scanias with afew of the old favorites ERF STILL going strong. hope this ansers a few question .
mike j…

yep still going saw a very tidy fh in the container terminal on the isle of grain this morning and then an fh and a scanny in southampton this afternoon

i have admired taylors trucks for many years.back in 1994 my mate kelvin powell started out as an owner driver with a leyland roadtrain that he bought from taylors.the roadtrain was well looked after and served kelvin well.
regards andrew

I’ve always wondered how they keep the trucks so perfectly clean yet work them at the same time. I used to love the AECs they ran. It’d be interesting to see a few photos of their trucks over the years.

BB

Basilbrush:
It’d be interesting to see a few photos of their trucks over the years.

I have a few from the time when I worked for them back in the late 90’s, although I will have to get them scanned in. Most of them I took on the 24th December when all the fleet was back in the yard and made a fine sight. Bob Taylor showed me a couple of albums of phots they had dating right back to the 20’s, which I presume the company still has.

I really enjoyed working for Taylors and was treated well by them, the fleet was always well looked after and the units had a midlife respray etc to keep them looking smart. By the time I worked there the fleet was 100% ERF with only 2 Sed Atki shunters, although Bedminster Transport were still running one of the old roadtrains.

In addition to the Autocar and Bedford mentioned there was also a bonneted Leyland Comet in unrestored condition that had been parked up for circa 30 years at the top of the yard, I only found out about it by accident when doing an audit of the containers. Not sure if it is still there, as last time I visited it looked like there had been a clear up and that was a few years ago.

Used to pull as a subby when I worked for Smith in Hanham near on all the fleet was ERF’s as said the grandson as far as I can remember used to wash some of the trucks down on the weekend. If we were popin in at the right time on a Sat there was always a brew on. I think they tend to keep drivers there long term because its a family run outfit where you get that personel touch where the boss knows what a driver needs and wants.
The other place they have was down by the old testing center in Ashton gate ooh what fun running from Freightliner to Bedminster to Ashton then back to F-liner.
They used t odo loads and loads for Sony Bridgend

Hi,I’ve had the pleasure of visiting Taylors and taking a few pics,always no problem but saying that my last look in was 23 years ago and I live in Bristol :unamused:

Heres a few,the affor mentioned old Comet and the Autocar. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Nice photos Bubbs.Any idea who the original owner of the Autocar was with the Sheffield/South Yorks reg?

Thanks for posting the photos, 2 of the Sed atks (938 and 918) were shunters for a number of years. The pics also reminded me that Taylors used to try and get registrations with 8’s in, can’t remember why but the idea seemed to be dropped from the J and K reg E series.

george taylor transport is finishing oparation in transport and container handling at the end of sept 2010 . we all got the news 2 weeks ago from roger the director of g.t it must have been a hard decision to make . so we are winding up all loose ends over the next week and are all out looking for jobs etc it has been a great job and a great bunch of lads to work with . all good things come to an end .mike jessop . g taylor driver.

chickenman:
george taylor transport is finishing oparation in transport and container handling at the end of sept 2010 . we all got the news 2 weeks ago from roger the director of g.t it must have been a hard decision to make . so we are winding up all loose ends over the next week and are all out looking for jobs etc it has been a great job and a great bunch of lads to work with . all good things come to an end .mike jessop . g taylor driver.

That’s very sad news Mike, and I’m sorry to hear it. I was a very satisfied customer of George Taylor for over 8 years. I’m sure it was a very tough decision for Roger and the others to make, and it certainly won’t have been made lightly. I will be in touch with him directly. Best wishes to all those of you looking for something else.

Hello Mike
Sorry to hear that George Taylors is closing there doors at the end of the month :frowning: I personally think its a shame that a family run firm which im told has been in transport for more than 90yrs can not make it pay anymore,i suppose that is the sign of the times were living in at the moment.I wonder how many more firms like this will end up the same way :frowning: I took this photo on the way home on Thursday night.I wish you all good luck in your futures.

Regards Jacko