George Taylor Ltd

Have ceased trading …

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/JOURNEY-ENDS-100-YEARS/article-2725213-detail/article.html

Bad times :cry:

Their trucks were always immaculate.

all the stuff is up for auction

malcolmharrison.co.uk/A220.asp

from what i heard, they were selling off the container devision, but concentrating on their other side of the business :confused:

i can honestly say, i have never seen one of their trucks pulling anything other than containers :unamused:

never seen a dirty taylor truck even on the crappiest of days, really well turned out fleet & real head turners , will be sadly missed

MolePower:
never seen a dirty taylor truck even on the crappiest of days, really well turned out fleet & real head turners , will be sadly missed

well said that man.
and ive just remembered something else that always puzzled me. Why did all their motors have windows in the back of the cab?

Very very sad to see then go. One of the old firms and always so well turned out. :frowning:

i wasnt expecting that.a well respected local company down the pan.very sad :frowning:

Very smart trucks and a distinctive livery. Respect to them for saying enough is enough and winding up properly. It would be good to see one of their old ERF’s on the preservation scene.

At least we can keep something to remember them by(not a lot I know )

Very sad news indeed.Auction at Parson St on Saturday will be well attended,there’ll be some good kit up for grabs.

kindle530:

MolePower:

well said that man.
and ive just remembered something else that always puzzled me. Why did all their motors have windows in the back of the cab?

I asked one of the drivers this down in Thamesport, he had one of, or it may have been the only FH they had at the time and it had the window in the back of the cab, which as you say is unusual, he told me it was Mr Taylor’s thing, he wanted them fitted and the drivers were not allowed to run with the curtain accross them or they were for the high jump, just an eccentricty I suppose :wink:

Shame that they are no more, 100yrs, that’s a hell of a long time in this game :cry:

newmercman:

kindle530:

MolePower:

well said that man.

I asked one of the drivers this down in Thamesport, he had one of, or it may have been the only FH they had at the time and it had the window in the back of the cab, which as you say is unusual, he told me it was Mr Taylor’s thing, he wanted them fitted and the drivers were not allowed to run with the curtain accross them or they were for the high jump, just an eccentricty I suppose :wink:

Shame that they are no more, 100yrs, that’s a hell of a long time in this game :cry:

I used to drive a day cab with a rear window, made ‘blind side’ reversing a piece of ■■■■… Not sure if it’d help in a night cab, but it will if you can still see through it from the drivers seat.

newmercman:

kindle530:

MolePower:

well said that man.

I drove a day cab with a rear window that made ‘blind side’ reversing a piece of ■■■■, maybe it’s for that reason??

Yeah it was certainly for vision, funny that with it being a window :laughing: but it is a special order on Volvos etc, you don’t see them often, so it was something that Taylors were very serious about to go to all that trouble, I haven’t had a motor with a back window for years, I think the last one was an F10 and that was twenty years ago, bloody hell I’m getting old :cry: they are really handy for blindsiding, especially with an empty flat trailer, but it’s a thing of the past really, nobody has them anymore, which is why Taylors were so unusual :wink:

shuttlespanker:
from what i heard, they were selling off the container devision, but concentrating on their other side of the business :confused:

i can honestly say, i have never seen one of their trucks pulling anything other than containers :unamused:

From the link above:

Mr Scarrett said: "There is a great deal of regret that after over 100 years in the haulage business the company will realign itself and completely withdraw from all its haulage-related activities. What we will do is to continue to manage property and other resources.

I am very sad to see them go, having previously been a happy customer for several years. Meanwhile I, too, am delighted not be involved with containers any more.

thats a real shame, sign of the bloody times.
i remember going out in the truck as a kid, in the early/mid eighties, and seeing the fleet on the road, alot of e.r.f’s iirc? always seemed to be spotless.
shame for the drivers and staff, that are going to be out of a job, i’m guessing it was a good firm to work for, notice, that even the old historic motors they have, are going for auction to :frowning:

One of the best turned out fleets ive seen on the M4 Corridor,immaculate every time i saw them,very sad indeed

Clean units and some proud history behind a company is rare

Very sad news indeed,used to see Mark and Roger quite often when I was on for Goodways,thoroughly nice bunch of people.
Trucks were always immaculate and they would never take a job on if it didn’t turn a profit.
A sign of the times really when they have to compete with the likes of Maritime,Wincanton etc.

mechanic77:
It would be good to see one of their old ERF’s on the preservation scene.

I believe one of the E series is preserved, not sure which one though.

Well I certainly hope that all the trucks that were sold go to good homes where they will be kept looking as good as they did