George Read Albion

Hi, Just wondered if anyone out there in trucknet land could shed some light on what model Albion this was. I’m under the impression it’s a ‘JB’, but I know nothing when it comes to relics like this. Our dad drove this particular one when employed by the man himself at Mitcheldean…Thanks for looking…Cheers

Congratulations! At last you’ve managed to go back before my time.

It looks like the KL127 but I am not absolutley certain plus I think the 127 may have had an opening windscreen on the drivers side. :confused: :confused: Just found these on flickr and they are both KL 127s take your pick

6985323932_01e26f0e78_z.jpg :confused: :slight_smile:

Me.Paul.101:
Hi, Just wondered if anyone out there in trucknet land could shed some light on what model Albion this was. I’m under the impression it’s a ‘JB’, but I know nothing when it comes to relics like this. Our dad drove this particular one when employed by the man himself at Mitcheldean…Thanks for looking…Cheers0

That’s not a 127, it’s a heavier model, probably a model 55 or 557 from the same era, just pre-war. Not all the models had letters some only numbers. The 127 models were rated for 4-1/2 to 6 ton load depending on tyre size and obviously weight of bodywork, (7 to 8-1/2 tons gross), 55/557s were 7 to 7-1/2 tons. 127 were on 8 stud, 55/557 on 10 stud wheels, and the radiator on the bigger motor was deeper front to back.
Bernard

Thanks for the replies guys, It looks like it may have been on 10 stud wheels and the radiator is fairly deep so it may well have been a 55/557. Thanks…

Now we know who can give us chapter & verse on Albions! Good info, matey.

So I’ll dedicate this photo to Albion 1938.

We aim to please! I’ve owned a 127 for 43 years, so I’ve learned a bit about Albions (and most other motors)in that time. Now an OAP, grew up with lorries from a nipper.
Bernard

If I had my time over again… :unamused:

if you had your time over again casey , would you still be living in darkest macclesfield ? i suppose macs was like buxton , always plenty of driving jobs about , don’t know what it’s like at present though . cheers , dave

Got dragged up here by a woman, Dave. I kicked & screamed & stamped my feet but she had her own way in the end!
The true story is that I was sent up here as a missionary but I failed so dismally that they wouldn’t let me back down home to England.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Got dragged up here by a woman, Dave. I kicked & screamed & stamped my feet but she had her own way in the end!
The true story is that I was sent up here as a missionary but I failed so dismally that they wouldn’t let me back down home to England.

Did you get dragged up Offa’s Dyke and then turned right near Chester to get ther Casey :question: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

I was heading for sunny Spain when I got hijacked by a Macc lass who made me turn left instead of right. Some may be interested to learn that I have since managed to escape the clutches of the lady in question and am currently exploring the possibility of moving back to England. Before I completely forget what the SUN looks like!

our lass dragged me over to macc today to do some shopping , it horsed it down all the time we were there and that main shopping street is like a wind tunnel , don’t blame you for wanting to escape . it was just as bad in buxton, but i was born and raised here so i’m immune to it now . like the old saying , derbyshire born and derbyshire bred , strong in th’ arm and weak in th’ 'ead , cheers , dave

I’ve had the kettle on all day, Dave. You could have left herself in M&S!