George (Funnyfut) Pitcher

Not been back here for a while as I haven’t been able to speak to George for 3 weeks. In this new place it is easier to ring his mobile but he hasn’t been answering. Apparently, as the carers have told me, he is spending a lot of time sleeping, his morphine doses are up to the max to control the pain.
No internet either, they have moved him to another side of the building where the dongle can’t get a signal.
Not much to be done about that unless they either move him again or even back to the hospice.
I’m going to try his mobile again this afternoon and see if I can catch him this time.

I’ve just put the phone down with George.
He sounds good (considering) although he said he’s been having a really bad spell over the last 3 weeks and today is the first day he’s been able to get outside in that time.

I’m glad I got to talk to him, as I’ve tried a few times over the last couple of weeks and havn’t been able to get through, I keep meaning to try and contact him but I get distracted and forget then feel guilty as I know there isn’t much time left for him and the things that distract me seem so trivial in comparisson.

He has already outlived his prognosis (and in a weird way I feel kinda proud of him for doing so) and he’s still fighting on and isnt defeatist in any way athough he is a realist in regards to the illness.

May all his days be painfree.

Jonah 1:
I’ve just put the phone down with George.
He sounds good (considering) although he said he’s been having a really bad spell over the last 3 weeks and today is the first day he’s been able to get outside in that time.

I’m glad I got to talk to him, as I’ve tried a few times over the last couple of weeks and havn’t been able to get through, I keep meaning to try and contact him but I get distracted and forget then feel guilty as I know there isn’t much time left for him and the things that distract me seem so trivial in comparisson.

He has already outlived his prognosis (and in a weird way I feel kinda proud of him for doing so) and he’s still fighting on and isnt defeatist in any way athough he is a realist in regards to the illness.

May all his days be painfree.

Thanks for the update, glad it is rather better news. :slight_smile:

Never met or spoken to George, just occasionally added a post to wish all the best to him, but I like to hear that he’s still ahnging on in there. Hope he can keep the pain under control.

thanks for the news and please give George our regards

After 5 or 6 weeks of difficulty in speaking to George, apart from one call which he made to me, I managed to talk to him yesterday.
Although he is obviously weaker, he says that they have given him 3 weeks, but they have said that before, he is much happier as he has been taken back to the hospice from the nursing home. Apart from anything else this has enabled him to get a dongle signal again and thus back online.
Despite the possibly gloomy reason behind this decision to move him we must be positive and think that anything that improves his life and makes him feel happier can only be a good thing. :slight_smile:

i hope he can manage to get online a bit now and that he’s happier at the hospice.

That is good news David, let’s hope we hear from him soon on here :slight_smile:

Pat

hiya,
What a brave man, and an inspiration to us all, keep giving it some welly George.
thanks harry long retired.

Wishing you the best, as always, George.

I heard this evening that George’s long and painful road has finally come to the end.
He died peacefully in his sleep last night and to be honest it must have been a blessed relief. Increasingly over the last few months I have been aware of the pain he was biting back, and in recent months there have been long periods when he hasn’t been able to talk at all.
I last spoke to George, upbeat as often he was, 3 Sundays ago just after he was moved back from the nursing home to St. Catherine’s Hospice in Crawley. He was happy to be back there even though he knew that the reason must be that they knew he was near the end. Apart from anything else he was able to get his internet connection back via the dongle that the PDA kindly financed and through the contributions to that excellent organisation made by many of you still working and no longer working lorry drivers. Thank you all.
The last 2 Sundays the staff have told me he was ‘too poorly to talk’ and I knew the writing was on the wall.
Funeral arrangements are vague, I think he didn’t really want one and the only wishes he left as far as I am aware are that he be cremated and scattered at a place which he had picked out.
Thus no flowers, other than the crysanths we traditionally display for the departed each All Saints Day here in France, November the 1st, but if anyone wants to help with the wonderful work of the Macmillan Nurses and the Hospice of St. Catherine’s at Crawley I know he would be well pleased. Perhaps a couple of quid for the PDA now and again too, eh? :wink:
So, come next winter a couple of extra bright blooms will adorn our terrasse as we remember our family and friends.
George Pitcher, Funnyfut, 1949-2010 RIP. :slight_smile:

R.I.P George.

Out of the pain now and hopefully in a better place.

■■■

R.I.P. George, finally at peace, god bless. :frowning:

R.I.P George, God Bless you.

RIP George

RIP, george, i may have never met you but your in a better now, rest in peace.

philgor

hiya,
Rest peacefully George you’ve been an inspiration to us all, God bless you.

thanks harry long retired.

R.I.P. George

I never knew you but that does not mean that I cannot feel relief that Your suffering is over.
I have only been a member on here for a few months but i remember reading this post for the first time a few months ago and how it left me with tears running down my face not because Georges Cancer was terminal but because of the strength and humility He showed during his final couple of years.

I dont know if anyone noticed that George first started this thread on 27/05/08 stating He had been given 18 - 24 Months well George You certainly made sure you got every single one.
God Bless

RIP at last out of the pain

R.I.P. George up there sat at the side of St Christopher looking
down and watching over us all,