Geographic knowledge

Just to ask I’ve been noticing a few job ads out there that use this phrase good geographic knowledge of United Kingdom… Well I’ve got my map and my sat nav, know where Scotland/ Wales and Northern Ireland is and the local motorways, some of the main motorways M25/M1/M3/M4 /M5 /M6 etc… how much more knowledge are they expecting …

I know Hatfield,but no clue how to get there :slight_smile:

Probably a few companies hoping that out there someone looking for a job can still manage to find their way out the yard if the prat nav dies, they just put it kindly/subtly in case they inadvertantly commit the unforgivable sin of 2015, cause offense.

An idea often used by employers,especially agencies,to make a prospective applicant think that what is actually a zb local multi drop etc job is distance work. :bulb:

the batteries dont run out with a map … OK the pages fall out or the place you want is obscured by an oil stain or its so old its got to noah best of luck with the boat written inside the cover

If you can get to the end of your road then you have good Geographic Knowledge :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Shouldn’t it read geographical knowledge ?

Suspect it’s a politically correct way to say - we’ll only employ people over 30 and who were born in the UK…although the over 30 bit is probably much more important going by what I’ve seen!

Questions at the interview should include:

• Is ■■■■■■■ in England, Scotland or Wales? (50% of those I’ve surveyed seem to think it’s in Wales)
  • Is there anything other than wilderness above the Watford Gap services?
  • Can you point me to a decent motorway services sandwich (obviously a trick question as non exists).

If they can pass those questions then they’ve at least done some travelling and thus have some chance of ending up in the right part of the country with the load.

raymundo:
Shouldn’t it read geographical knowledge ?

I dunno I’m just copying what’s on the adverts I’ve seen :grimacing:

I think some companies now at interview ask you a few questions wanting to knowhow to get from destination A to destination B and you have to write down the most direct route you can think of. I’ve got descent knowledge of the UK know quite a few roads etc but I still need to get the map out sometimes if there is a road closure and see if there are sny short cuts/rat runs to take to get out of the long wait.

Is it any wonder, when more and more drivers are getting lorries wedged under bridges, down narrow lanes, wiping out buildings etc while crying the sat nav told them :unamused:

OVLOV JAY:
Is it any wonder, when more and more drivers are getting lorries wedged under bridges, down narrow lanes, wiping out buildings etc while crying the sat nav told them :unamused:

Better that than running over cyclists in London because you’re trying to navigate through the city with an A to Z in one hand trying to follow that instead of looking where you’re going.

Conor:

OVLOV JAY:

Better that than running over cyclists in London because you’re trying to navigate through the city with an A to Z in one hand trying to follow that instead of looking where you’re going.

What can a paper map show you that a dedicated hgv sat nav and a couple of eyes in your head can’t show you?

Conor:

OVLOV JAY:

Not the old A to Z chestnut again Conor ffs :unamused:
What was the paronising phrase you used to me last time we discussed this.
Oh yeh …"You are obviously incapable of grasping the fact’’ :unamused: :laughing: …that BOTH systems of navigation have their pitfalls. To counteract this maybe a combination of both, sat nav as guide and map as back up, would be a solution, rather than rely on your chosen single one.
And maybe we can put all this repetitive map v sat nav either/or ■■■■ to bed.

I think the geo knowledge bit is to ensure that the potential driver actually has a bit of common, rather than one who blindly and blissfully follows a sat nav when his brain is saying no. :bulb:

My sat nav died on Monday last week so I’ve been transported back to the 80’s by sneaking looks at A to Z’s in garages and actually asking people. It’s like a breath of fresh air tbh and has made me realise that the main thing I use my nav for is approximate eta’s, distance to roundabouts or junctions to see whether it’s worth doing that overtake and err, that’s about it.

A number of my work colleagues have expressed amazement that I have no sat nav or maps and have offered to lend me one of their spare satnavs (who T F has a spare one?), but I’m enjoying it quite nicely thank you. Must get around to cleaning the windscreen now to get the sucker mark off.

trevHCS:
Suspect it’s a politically correct way to say - we’ll only employ people over 30 and who were born in the UK…although the over 30 bit is probably much more important going by what I’ve seen!

• Is ■■■■■■■ in England, Scotland or Wales? (50% of those I’ve surveyed seem to think it’s in Wales)
  • Is there anything other than wilderness above the Watford Gap services?
  • Can you point me to a decent motorway services sandwich (obviously a trick question as non exists).

If they can pass those questions then they’ve at least done some travelling and thus have some chance of ending up in the right part of the country with the load.

• Where is Sutherland? - Common wrong answer: - Newcastle
  • Where is Country Durham? - Common wrong answer: Northern Ireland.
  • Name any hill or racecourse in Norfolk - Common wrong answer: There aren’t any
  • Can you pronounce Wrotham, Frome, Sowerby Bridge, or Mousehole correctly without looking it up on wikipedia?? - Common wrong answer: Yes.
    :smiley:

Another way of saying could you find your way around if all the Motorways closed,or would you be lost without a map showing a blue line,or some voice telling you when to turn or U turn.

trevHCS:
Can you point me to a decent motorway services sandwich .

Looks like you would also fail then mate,…everybody knows it’s SandBACH :unamused: :unamused:

:wink: :laughing:

the maoster:
A number of my work colleagues have expressed amazement that I have no sat nav or maps and have offered to lend me one of their spare satnavs (who T F has a spare one?), but I’m enjoying it quite nicely thank you…

I know mate, :unamused: . It’ s only the last few years that I got one. The younger guys could not believe that I actually went out on the road without one, they thought I was some kind of clairvoyant. :smiley:

When I told them I had done European for x no of years without one, they had me down as some kind of ■■■■■■ explorer.
And yeh…some DO carry a spare sat nav, it saves them from having a day on the sick if their no.1 :unamused: sat nav fails. :laughing: :laughing:
Note: they have not cottoned on that it would be cheaper to take their Mams with them to hold their hands. :laughing:

ChunkyChunk:
Just to ask I’ve been noticing a few job ads out there that use this phrase good geographic knowledge of United Kingdom… Well I’ve got my map and my sat nav, know where Scotland/ Wales and Northern Ireland is and the local motorways, some of the main motorways M25/M1/M3/M4 /M5 /M6 etc… how much more knowledge are they expecting …

When I went for an interview recently they asked me the way I’d get to three specific towns from their office – Exeter and Norwich were among them, I can’t remember the third. I think they want to make sure you know the way to any major town and you won’t get lost or take an unnecessary detour, and that you’ll be able to re-route if there are major delays. If it’s a local job they’ll want you to know the major streets and landmarks of the town.