Genuine sickness

A few months ago I was off work because one of the kids was up crying screaming and I got to bed about 23:30 decided by midnight that it was unsafe to go to work for an 04:30 start as i wouldnt get much sleep It was midweek and as far as im concerned after all the health and safety ■■■■ I have had to sign for DHELL it was afair judgement by myself.

A few weeks ago i was told by my doctor I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and was given a doctors note to stay off work for 2 weeks adn rest NO droving no Cycling just pure rest and recreation do nothing he said rest your arms.

I get a ■■■■■■■ letter from the ■■■■■ at DHELL today threatening me that if i have any more time off i will be facing disciplinary hearings due to more than 3 occurrences (sp?) off work in 12 months, What a bunch of ■■■■■ eh?.

Some people put it on and have days off for the sake of it, My doctor tells me to stay off and i get threats due to having a genuine illness, I wish i had left last week it makes you ■■■■■■■ sick the way these big companies treat you doesnt it?..

hi jammy
tell em to stick it if the doc has signed u off then thats fair enough.
i got the sack for being off for 3 months with a back injury from a bar job.
took em to tribunal and stuffed em
they cannot sack u for sickness if u got the certificate
dont tell em to stick it let them do that then stuff em in a tribunal

if you have a sicknote from the doc take the time off…my brother was sacked a few years ago after chopping his finger off in a machine at work & he got sacked, he took them to a tribunal & won for unfair dismisal

Jammy.

I can sympathise with you on the CTS.My missus had it,and she was in pain with it for absolutely ages.She works in an office,and they had to get her a special keyboard for her computer,which cost £600,so she could still work.As she works in the NHS,they said it was cheaper for to buy her that,than to have her off work for months,on full pay,doing nothing.

She still suffers from it periodically,to this day.

As long as your doctor is treating you for it,I don’t think DH hell,can do anything about it.What I would do though,is to mention it to your doctor next time you go in,or better still,show him the letter they sent you.

Ken.

jammymutt:
I wish i had left last week it makes you [zb] sick the way these big companies treat you doesnt it?..

Jammy did you read in the CM magazine about one of the DHL depots and what they done to their drivers? They falsified their hours sheets to show POA so they could do more hours!

Mike-C:

jammymutt:
I wish i had left last week it makes you [zb] sick the way these big companies treat you doesnt it?..

Jammy did you read in the CM magazine about one of the DHL depots and what they done to their drivers? They falsified their hours sheets to show POA so they could do more hours!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

JAMMY ,as people before me have posted,your

health comes first,and this understanding well

meaning employer(company);SHOULD rethink

what they say to those employers who are off due

to ill health as such remarks can effect peoples

mental health as it isd known as MOBBING

which is a very big NO NO;

WHEN YOURDOCTOR SAYS YOU ARE WELL

AND IT IS SAFE FOR YOU TO RETURN TO

WORK and only then do YOU RETURN mate,

all the best and get well soon,

Mike we dont use POA at our place BUT the information they use to update our WTD hours is from our timesheet and NOT our tacho we have told them this is not accurate but as usual they dont listen after all, all truck drivers are scum that they can kick to the ground any time they want with new internal laws whenever they feel like making them up.

jammymutt:
A few months ago I was off work because one of the kids was up crying screaming and I got to bed about 23:30 decided by midnight that it was unsafe to go to work for an 04:30 start as i wouldnt get much sleep It was midweek and as far as im concerned after all the health and safety [zb] I have had to sign for DHELL it was afair judgement by myself.

I cant see why your boss should have to find another driver because one of your kids kept you up late,and then you don`t get what you think is enough kip to go to work.

Sounds to me a bit of a lame excuse to take a day off :wink:

Robbies Dad:

jammymutt:
A few months ago I was off work because one of the kids was up crying screaming and I got to bed about 23:30 decided by midnight that it was unsafe to go to work for an 04:30 start as i wouldnt get much sleep It was midweek and as far as im concerned after all the health and safety [zb] I have had to sign for DHELL it was afair judgement by myself.

I cant see why your boss should have to find another driver because one of your kids kept you up late,and then you don`t get what you think is enough kip to go to work.

Falling asleep at the wheel, dangersous driving etc etc it takes me 45 minutes to get to work so i would have got about 3 hours sleep and you think thats ok?.

Whata ■■■■■■■■■■

I’m with Jammy on this one.

With a decent employer it might be alright to get the run covered and then go in later and do local stuff, or help out in the warehouse for a few hours.

I certainly don’t want to be going down a road and want someone coming the other way who is totally ‘cream crackered’.

The HSE document ‘Driving at Work’ in many ways, vindicates anyone in such a situation that they are likely to be a liability to other road users.

Employers need to accept that children are an inevitability and, with them, domestic issues arise. They need to allow for those issues providing, of course, that they do not become a focal point beyond the workplace responsibilities.

jammymutt:

Robbies Dad:

jammymutt:

Whata [zb]!!

I make my opinion and you call me What ZB!

Nice

Your lot are crap jammy !!! I’ve been off work for coming upto 5 weeks with full pay for a lower back injury .Through a scheme running at work they have paid for 5 sessions with an osteopath ,i’ve had a medical asistant phone me every few days to see how i’am and in turn they have negotiated a graded return to work so that i don’t do the same duties that i normally do for a couple of weeks to see how my injury holds up .

I just can’t beleive we work for the same logistics company :confused:

jammymutt:
A few weeks ago i was told by my doctor I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and was given a doctors note to stay off work for 2 weeks adn rest NO droving no Cycling just pure rest and recreation do nothing he said rest your arms.

Surely if you have been told by your doctor not to drive then thats the end of it? What would be your legal standing if you ignored this & were involved in an accident?

I know that CPS can cause numbness in the hand & fingers plus loss of grip… not the best conditions for driving!

AAH well DHELL say if you are signed off by a doctor you cant return until the doctor signs you back on again which is fine BUT any more than 2 sick periods in 12 months means you face a disiplinary.

The thick ■■■■■■■■ dont seem to realsie that driving whilst tired is a major risk to other road users (Robbies Dad excluded of course) and also the CTS is a major risk when i asked would they prefer i have an accident due to lac k of sleep and lack of grip they shrugged their shoulders and said it was not an appropriate question…

paul@midway:
Your lot are crap jammy !!! I’ve been off work for coming upto 5 weeks with full pay for a lower back injury .Through a scheme running at work they have paid for 5 sessions with an osteopath ,i’ve had a medical asistant phone me every few days to see how i’am and in turn they have negotiated a graded return to work so that i don’t do the same duties that i normally do for a couple of weeks to see how my injury holds up .

I just can’t beleive we work for the same logistics company :confused:

Ditto Paul.

I was involved in a car accident three and a half years ago. Very nasty. Intensive care for a week and signed off for another month after that.

Boss called round the house the first week at home to see me. Told me that whenever I was ready to come back, I could do whatever hours I liked on whatever days I liked.

As my car was written off by the idiot that hit me, my boss gave me a company car till my replacement one was delivered.

Oh yes - and I was on full pay the whole time I was off. :open_mouth:

This is probably a big part of the reason why I chose not to transfer to Wincanton with Somerfield. You don’t forget stuff like that.

I still work for the same boss today - myself and several other drivers all moved to stay within DHL Exel along with him.

I really would have to have a stupendously well paid job outside of this industry lined up before I left the firm.

His door is always open, and his mobile is always on. Yes, all drivers have access to his personal mobile number.

I guess, Jammy, it ain’t the company - it’s the [zb]s at your depot. :wink:

flying_fenman:
I guess, Jammy, it ain’t the company - it’s the [zb]s at your depot. :wink:

I agree mate. I worked for Exel at two seperate depots and knew the gaffers(and drivers) at other depots on the same contract. They were all pretty good places to work most of the time. Naturally there were times when the gaffer or the company were being sworn about, when a plan didn’t come together, etc. The usual kind of things. But on the whole, they were a good company.