Genral Express Services

is there anybody out there that used to work for genral,s in the 60s? ,my dad worked for them when they were based in statford,from what i can remember they worked mainly on steel work and genral haulage, they pulled a lot out of saunders and fosters in statford, my dad Gerry was a fitter there so most of the drivers would have known him , before he worked there he was at redburns and before that concrete utilitys, he struck out on his own in ,i think 66 and called himself belmont motors, based in Bethnal green , east london , ive got a couple of pictures of old albion callidoians that he cut down into tractors for genrals, so any memories of my dad or the firm would be good, i spent every chance i had with my dad down the yard and most of the lorries were leylands, AEC bedford , albion, so my love of lorries starts there, volvos scanias mercs,although i worked on them myself will always be Foreign . any help would be good !

picture of one my dad built for genrals , you cant see it but it was registerd in 65 ! well after the LAD cab was out and a year after the introduction of the ergomatic’s !!!

i was on ges late 60s when it was run by uncle(george snowdon), i had a cut-down leyland that started life as a 8 wheeler and, when your old man finished with it, was reborn as a 4 wheel unit, i still remember the reg -MGY189D, i think the reason i know that is because when you spend 15-18 hrs 5days a week in an old pig like that you dont forget easily, can you recall the drivers names then.
patsy brennan
bill valentine
kenny long
tommy connors
albert atkinson
alan kendall
and his dad lenny
and cousin mickey
there was too many names to try to recall them all.

you are right, they did have a mixed fleet, and most of the trucks were quite elderly and needed plenty of TLC to get them up and down the road as the drivers were responsible for all fluids like gearbox and back axle oils brake and clutch fluids, as well as the engine oil levels, that was the saturday morning job, as well as washing down. Some of the lorries were fairly modern and so required less attention, the blokes driving those were always in the pub over the road a good hour before us with the older tackle. some of those newer ones were beaver and mandator ergomatics, they was nice to drive after the other old rubbish we had.

do you remember that jim from the cafe next door, he used to look after the yard at the weekend, you could never let him know anything, he would be straight in the office, filthy bloke, walking health hazard.

i am sure there is more ex ges drivers on here and they will fill you in on more info. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Theres a picture of a ges motor on page three of the lookings for photos of frans maas thread

glad to hear you knew my dad, i remember the name valentine, and george snowdon, ime 50 now so its a long way back for me, i remember the old man taking me to aldernan for spares and seeing all the new ergomatics lined up ,my uncle used to drive for smith and robinsons , kenny richards ? and his brother brian, not at GES but later was geoge boyce and brother ron, jim read,jim wadlow, ron crane, and harry taylor ,i was only a kid but they were all proper characters,

was that when smith and robinson was in the railway yard at dagenham east station? the manager was a character called mac, bit of a hothead but once the office closed and he got into the pub next door he was a different bloke.
some of their drivers left to form an international trucking co called TIR (tank-in-route), one of them was freddie ferrarri, i saw him abroad a few times but dont know what became of them, perhaps your uncle may remember.
mate of mine, alan brooks, was on s&r for a lot of years, once again your uncle may have known him or anybody else on here had any dealings with them.

I know it’s a much later era,but do you remember Gerry Baldwin?
He worked for Goodways when they were at Dagenham,but left to go back to GES,this would have been early to mid 80’s.
He used to live in Brentwood,but moved up to Suffolk or Norfolk somewhere.

Another one who came from GES,and went back again,was a scots guy known as Nessie,first name I think was Alan.

When they both went back to GES they took another Goodways driver with them,Cliffy Doyle from Canvey Island,and on his first trip out he ran off the road in France and put the truck in a field trying to keep up with Gerry and Nessie.

yeah i remember jerry, or should i say i know jerry, because he is still about and living somewhere in lincs.
he did move to norfolk with his wife but they split-up and divorced, he is now living in a caravan, a real ■■■■■.
do you remember his brother mick?, he is currently residing in a french prison, kermit said he was over his allowance on the marching powder. last time i spoke to jerry he had not heard from mick or even knew where he was.
i was going round the ho chi min one day and one of ges was in a field, is that what you were referring to?, he was with the scotsman you mentioned, we called him mcginty, not the most pleasant bloke ive ever met. i have somewhere a mobile no for jerry, ill try to get hold of him.

SUPERCUBE:
i was going round the ho chi min one day and one of ges was in a field, is that what you were referring to?, he was with the scotsman you mentioned, we called him mcginty, not the most pleasant bloke ive ever met. i have somewhere a mobile no for jerry, ill try to get hold of him.

That must have been it,it was Cliff Doyles first trip abroad and he was scared the other’s would leave him behind and he’d get lost.He eneded up in the field trying to keep up with them.

McGinty,yup,that’s what they uesd to call him,apart from Nessie,I always got on all right with him,but you’re right,he could be a miserable sod sometimes.

I think the last time I bumped into Gerry was around 1991 when I’d just started driving for a dutch firm,he’d only recently moved to Norfolk.

If you get in touch with him,tell him Keith Williams from Goodways Felixstowe say’s hello!

I remember Pat. He married a beautiful French girl from Bellegarde & worked for Stouf,a French outfit.
Kenny I knew as well.
( I got him mixed up with with Trevor off Astran )
I knew Bill as well.I only heard this in a pub , but he had a problem with the juice.GES gave him his job back and loaded him for Italy.There was a short road from yard to the main road.Billy hit every parked car in the street & gave up driving.As I say this is hearsay;I should like to hear the real story

SUPERCUBE:
yeah i remember jerry, or should i say i know jerry, because he is still about and living somewhere in lincs.
he did move to norfolk with his wife but they split-up and divorced, he is now living in a caravan, a real ■■■■■.
do you remember his brother mick?, he is currently residing in a french prison, kermit said he was over his allowance on the marching powder. last time i spoke to jerry he had not heard from mick or even knew where he was.

dont know what jerry your on about but my dad jerry did move up to norfolk with his wife (my mum ) in the mid 80s mum died in 91 from cancer and my dad died in 2000 from a stroke, dad never had a brother but did have a sister, and me dad got drunk on half of shandy ! he just wernt a drinker ,jim read lives up in lincolnshire,but ive not seen him for a while, but he was a good mate of me dad ,as was kenny richards who also moved to norflok.

do it sideways:

SUPERCUBE:

dont know what jerry your on about but my dad jerry did move up to norfolk with his wife (my mum ) in the mid 80s mum died in 91 from cancer and my dad died in 2000 from a stroke, dad never had a brother but did have a sister, and me dad got drunk on half of shandy ! he just wernt a drinker ,jim read lives up in lincolnshire,but ive not seen him for a while, but he was a good mate of me dad ,as was kenny richards who also moved to norflok.

no it wasn`t your dad i was referring to, i was answering another posting about gerry baldwin who worked on ges. sorry to hear about your parents though.

KW:

SUPERCUBE:

That must have been it,it was Cliff Doyles first trip abroad and he was scared the other’s would leave him behind and he’d get lost.He eneded up in the field trying to keep up with them.

McGinty,yup,that’s what they uesd to call him,apart from Nessie,I always got on all right with him,but you’re right,he could be a miserable sod sometimes.

I think the last time I bumped into Gerry was around 1991 when I’d just started driving for a dutch firm,he’d only recently moved to Norfolk.

If you get in touch with him,tell him Keith Williams from Goodways Felixstowe say’s hello!

i dont know what i have done with gerrys phone no, but i will try to get hold of him.
i had to go to romford today and met someone you must know, evelyn from goodway`s office in purfleet, remember?, gorgeous as ever.

harry:
I remember Pat. He married a beautiful French girl from Bellegarde & worked for Stouf,a French outfit.
Kenny I knew as well.
( I got him mixed up with with Trevor off Astran )
I knew Bill as well.I only heard this in a pub , but he had a problem with the juice.GES gave him his job back and loaded him for Italy.There was a short road from yard to the main road.Billy hit every parked car in the street & gave up driving.As I say this is hearsay;I should like to hear the real story

did pat marry jeanette?, i never knew that.
bill ended up in the warehouse for ges, i did not know he was sacked because of the drink, i suppose stranger things have happened. his son john was last seen driving for mckellar. he was on the double-man roadtrains doing the spanish flyers.
kenny long was killed in belgium crossing the road, apparently he looked the wrong way. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

SUPERCUBE:

KW:

SUPERCUBE:

i dont know what i have done with gerrys phone no, but i will try to get hold of him.
i had to go to romford today and met someone you must know, evelyn from goodway`s office in purfleet, remember?, gorgeous as ever.

The name rings a bell,but I can’t place her.In fact I’m having problems remembering who was in the office.
I can remember when Goodways first set up a depot in Chequers Lane,Dagenham,just over the level crossing opposite the cafe (the name of which escapes me) and shared the yard with the guy that ran Cammell Wagon.
They then moved out to Oliver Close,West Thurrock,just down from Truckworld.

I left Goodways in 1991 having been there since the end of '83.
Best move I ever made!

SUPERCUBE Yes,Patsy married Jeannette & lived out in Bellegarde with her. I wonder what he’s up to now…?
PS. I told someone on here that it was Trevor Long that got killed .

harry:
SUPERCUBE Yes,Patsy married Jeannette & lived out in Bellegarde with her. I wonder what he’s up to now…?
PS. I told someone on here that it was Trevor Long that got killed .

we all have senior moments occasionally, its linked to being a senior member. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: