Genoa to Palermo

Sailing from Genoa to Palermo.
Any tips on either of the ports?

When you leave the docks in Palermo you will be in the middle of the city. I got off the boat on a sat morn when I was there and it was pandemonium. I was heading for the motorway out past the airport and found it best to turn right out the dock gate and skirt round as much of the city centre as possible. I had cars overtaking one side and scooters undertaking on the other, quite stressfull. I just drove slowly with no sudden movements and they all avoided me. Don’t get to the docks too early when going back as they won’t let you in and there is very limited parking outside.

look on google earth, I used it when looking to sail out of genoa, we were sailing with terrenia lines to sardinia, when you are parked there is what was a red walkway, the building entrance is from the middle stairwell/ lift. into the building up the internal stairs turn right, the terrenia windows are in the far right corner, the freight one is the farthest to the right at right angles to the rest, if it is the same guy he is most unhelpful and every trip he would say he cannot find a booking and will have you phoning your people over and over, I happened to be told the name of the then ceo (you may be able to find this if you can work these devil machines) so I said oh that’s ok my boss lunches with mr-----------. ill phone him direct, bingo he found it.
as you wind your way into the port from the road you will go past a sentry like box then swoop round left under the building round to the right pass along behind the building round the end to the right through a hole in the roadwork type barriers ignore the trailer park on your left and reverse towards the central walkway stairwell with the back of the ship on your right, the google earth view will show it very well, your ship might sail from another berth but this will get you in the best way and you can ask when you have your ticket and ships name for directions to the right berth. when you get to the till with your meal some will be free with your ticket some you will need to pay for ? and just because you have put your bags in a room don’t be surprised on your return to find other people in there, you will have been bumped to a less worthy room ( so locking the door does not secure your passport etc as this will be dumped by the side of the reception desk.) oh the ticket desk will not open until about an hour before sailing. coffee and food available on ground floor mall.

Palermo saing time is about 21 hours, time for a beer or five.
From Cittivicci or the port near Rome, it’s 14 hours.
From Naples, 10 hours.

ye dont miss it lol but years back i got to genova and they went on strike its quite a hike the long way down to messina gd luck

It’s a long time now since I did either of those ports, but in both cases I was struck by the wonderful atmosphere of Genoa and Palermo docks. If ever you get the opportunity to park up and explore Palermo, then do: it’s a fabulous place and it surely has the best food in all of Italy!

I don’t know what it is about Italian dock zones, but they do have a special excitement about them: whether it’s the amazing architecture, the palm trees, the cafes, the old lorries or the run-down streets, I don’t know. Ancona’s the same!

I shipped out of Genoa to Tunis with a lorry… :smiley:

Now retired. Robert

Thanks for the advice.
Nice and easy once I worked out you have to go over to the shopping center to collect the ticket and boarding pass from the GNV ticket office.

Looking forward to seeing what the system is for getting tickets on the way out of Palermo !

I’ve only gone from Livorno-Palermo. Can’t help you with the Genoa bit, but the Palermo part may be useful. I exited on a Sunday and followed the motorway signs, no control as such. Coming back was a diff ball game! As stated they don’t let you in the port as a rule until near departure time. That’s when the fun starts. If you’ve never been there before, you won’t have a clue what to do. The key is to find your agent who has your details. There are lots of these places scattered around the port.

Then about an hr before boarding you go into the office that you need, and they check you in. If you managed to get your truck in, pick a lane. There seemed to be no discipline as to where you park. Spot your ship and join a queue. It’s pure chance as to when you get on. That’s the best I can do. As someone mentioned, the port of Palermo is right in the town. Traffic is mad. LOL. Hope this helps a bit.