General Help

Hello Truck Net!

I am currently out of work and have been since november. I am having no luck finding a job and this is the longest I have been out of work since I left school. I have been looking at spending my savings on my LGV Cat C but having looked into it I am having second thoughts now.

I enjoy my own company and don’t mind being alone at work so driving alone is not a problem as I used to drive a van all day at my previous job. However I am reading from various sources that a career in LGV Driving should be avoided as there are plenty of cowboy companies, people not willing to pay proper wages and forcing drivers into 14 hour shifts. People claiming to be retired drivers are advising to avoid this as a job. All I see on job websites are LGV Drivers needed though and could really do with finding something. I also read that no company will hire me at such a young age (I’m 24 this month) as insurance would be a killer for them.

Can anybody clear this up for me.

Thanks.

BigTimeGamer:
Hello Truck Net!

I am currently out of work and have been since november. I am having no luck finding a job and this is the longest I have been out of work since I left school. I have been looking at spending my savings on my LGV Cat C but having looked into it I am having second thoughts now.

I enjoy my own company and don’t mind being alone at work so driving alone is not a problem as I used to drive a van all day at my previous job. However I am reading from various sources that a career in LGV Driving should be avoided as there are plenty of cowboy companies, people not willing to pay proper wages and forcing drivers into 14 hour shifts. People claiming to be retired drivers are advising to avoid this as a job. All I see on job websites are LGV Drivers needed though and could really do with finding something. I also read that no company will hire me at such a young age (I’m 24 this month) as insurance would be a killer for them.

Can anybody clear this up for me.

Thanks.

32+ Years in the industry and to be honest if I had my time over I would change nothing BUT in saying that if I could get out of driving now I’d be gone faster than that runner white lighting :wink:

Dodgy companies do exist but I don’t think the problem is as widespread as people think. It’s the fact that people will complain about a bent company where thousands who work for legit companies won’t say anything as you wouldn’t need to.
There’s a few young drivers here and a couple of owner drivers who have just started new drivers working for them so don’t discount your chances based on this.
People who are retiring telling you to avoid the job could just be the miserable type most drivers ignore when they bump into them. There’s also plenty who would recommend the job but as with the dodgy companies, they’re not as vocal about it.
In short, if it’s something you want to do - go for it. The wages may not be the best, and be prepared to be knocked back a few times, but it’s what you make of it.

The whole of the truck driving community are not on here. Like the previous comment said there are lots of companies out there who are going to be good. Every industry has a few bad apples. It is not putting me off. I am sure when it comes to the build up to christmas age etc goes out the window. If it is something you want to do go for it, only one life live it.

To get a realistic view of the current situation for newbies I suggest you read a some recent posts from those who just qualified

Full time perm job = not likely
Agency work = more likely but no guarantees of how much

I can’t speak for first hand experience, but I gather that if you can get through 2 years of agency work, and be over 25 by then, you have much better prospects of getting a permanent job.

If it’s something you want to do, then do it. I think a few of the retired drivers are just ones that didn’t get on well with it and didn’t have the bottle to change it, they also probably never shut up about how it was better without tachographs etc. There are plenty who enjoy it.

Age will be a barrier but if you approach it correctly it shouldn’t set you back too far with an open minded company. Others have said being in a perm job is not likely. I have a full time permanent job and have been driving now for about a year and a half, you just have to put the effort in to get it. I started 2 days after my 19th birthday and have never been out of work since. No agencies.

nick2008:
32+ Years in the industry and to be honest if I had my time over I would change nothing BUT in saying that if I could get out of driving now I’d be gone faster than that runner white lighting :wink:

Why would you be gone?

m1cks:
Dodgy companies do exist but I don’t think the problem is as widespread as people think. It’s the fact that people will complain about a bent company where thousands who work for legit companies won’t say anything as you wouldn’t need to.
There’s a few young drivers here and a couple of owner drivers who have just started new drivers working for them so don’t discount your chances based on this.
People who are retiring telling you to avoid the job could just be the miserable type most drivers ignore when they bump into them. There’s also plenty who would recommend the job but as with the dodgy companies, they’re not as vocal about it.
In short, if it’s something you want to do - go for it. The wages may not be the best, and be prepared to be knocked back a few times, but it’s what you make of it.

Thanks for the input, I have met a few miserable buggers in my previous job so I know what you are saying.

th2013:
I can’t speak for first hand experience, but I gather that if you can get through 2 years of agency work, and be over 25 by then, you have much better prospects of getting a permanent job.

I have looked on Agency websites and compared to normal job websites there isn’t much going. Anyone you can recommend?

DJC:
If it’s something you want to do, then do it. I think a few of the retired drivers are just ones that didn’t get on well with it and didn’t have the bottle to change it, they also probably never shut up about how it was better without tachographs etc. There are plenty who enjoy it.

Age will be a barrier but if you approach it correctly it shouldn’t set you back too far with an open minded company. Others have said being in a perm job is not likely. I have a full time permanent job and have been driving now for about a year and a half, you just have to put the effort in to get it. I started 2 days after my 19th birthday and have never been out of work since. No agencies.

What do you mean by approaching it correctly?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Why would I be gone …

There’s people running things in transport that I wouldn’t even trust with a pencil, driving standards have fallen to I would say an all time low and its getting worse.
H&S have interfered on some matters that they need not .
hours regs with the WTD are meant to be better and benefit the driver making things safer. in fact they have done nothing but complicated things for many a driver.
Company’ paying to much attention to computer analysis programs (ie your getting 14mpg but your not driving the truck to its full potential ((you couldn’t get better fuel figures if you drove it how the computer says because by doing so would return 11mph)) that sort of BS…