General Haulage Curtain Side Trailer a Heights

Hi All,

I am looking at doing some General Haulage with a curtain side trailer. The work will be for various customers but generally on pallets.

What would be your advice on the most suitable trailer height. Did not want to go too high if I did not have to.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

If I never needed to use the extra height I’d be looking at 4 metres. Firstly, as that’s about the height of most modern tractor units it will be more aerodynamic and better on fuel, and secondly there are a lot more bridges you can get under, compared to say a 4.4 metre trailer.

4.2m is British standard running height. 4.0m over the water. Based on a 1250mm fifth wheel height. Larger hauliers tend to run various heights between 4.2m & 4.8m. I’ve found that 4.2m is a good trade off between load matching and avoiding low bridges. Horses for courses though really not to mention going higher reduces fuel economy.

Depends on what your going to do really as said, I would go standard height what you then have to think is roof support or not, internal lashings / restraints etc there’s a multitude of options you want to work out before buying, If your the ony one that’s gong to use it it could well be worth getting a box fitted for straps etc that can be left secured on the trailer, the best side I reckon for this would be the Offside / driver side makes it more visible when parked on the road more awkward to nick anything.

Dear Harry, Thanks for the response. As you say my thoughts were around fuel economy so did not want to go to high if I did not have to.

Harry Monk:
If I never needed to use the extra height I’d be looking at 4 metres. Firstly, as that’s about the height of most modern tractor units it will be more aerodynamic and better on fuel, and secondly there are a lot more bridges you can get under, compared to say a 4.4 metre trailer.

A great response and truly appreciated. I think the 4.2m seems like a good option to start with.

Silver_Surfer:
4.2m is British standard running height. 4.0m over the water. Based on a 1250mm fifth wheel height. Larger hauliers tend to run various heights between 4.2m & 4.8m. I’ve found that 4.2m is a good trade off between load matching and avoiding low bridges. Horses for courses though really not to mention going higher reduces fuel economy.

Thanks for the reply. As I am currently on containers and looking at trying some General Haulage I am going to take a hire trailer to start with so that I can change the specification should I need to and learn before I look at buying.

With regards to the options you mentioned I have asked the company that I am hiring from to ensure I have the internal cargo straps fitted. I would be really interested if you could expand on the roof support. Are these the moveable upright beams that I have seen, or something different. In terms of the box that is certainly something I would like to do if I take the plunge and invest in my own trailer. Thanks again.

nick2008:
Depends on what your going to do really as said, I would go standard height what you then have to think is roof support or not, internal lashings / restraints etc there’s a multitude of options you want to work out before buying, If your the ony one that’s gong to use it it could well be worth getting a box fitted for straps etc that can be left secured on the trailer, the best side I reckon for this would be the Offside / driver side makes it more visible when parked on the road more awkward to nick anything.

best all rounder is 9ft internal which is about 4.2m / 4.3m

Bachelor Boy:
Thanks for the reply. As I am currently on containers and looking at trying some General Haulage I am going to take a hire trailer to start with so that I can change the specification should I need to and learn before I look at buying.

With regards to the options you mentioned I have asked the company that I am hiring from to ensure I have the internal cargo straps fitted. I would be really interested if you could expand on the roof support. Are these the moveable upright beams that I have seen, or something different. In terms of the box that is certainly something I would like to do if I take the plunge and invest in my own trailer. Thanks again.

nick2008:

yep moveable In my own opinion a trailer with is better as you wont get so much roof bounce causing curtain buckles to come away when traveling. internals would be better on the edge of the trl rather than on a bar running down the middle as you can X and front, back and over Topped pallets. we used a few French reg trailers that were good, euroliners .

They had 4 movable posts each side with side boards ( aly planks )
all along the side rave are holes able to take hook ratchets for load security if carrying timber plaster board etc. basically an easysheet flat bed.

If your not sure what you need find a company with a mixed trailer fleet and ask to have a look after all why buy /rent without checking out what you need… you wouldn’t buy your truck without having a good look round.

You’ll need at least 13 ratchet straps as well I’d say as the internals aren’t up to much.

Go pillar less if you want to be posh.

Silver_Surfer:

And if you do your curtains and buckles up nice and tight, by the time you are 30mins up the road they will be slack and baggy.

is it your own work direct or working on general through another company

kindle530:

Silver_Surfer:

And if you do your curtains and buckles up nice and tight, by the time you are 30mins up the road they will be slack and baggy.

Not with Larry David buckles. I’ve heard the tear drop roofs suffer from that but mine just has a straight girder along the roof, very swish!

kindle530:

Silver_Surfer:

I was also going to suggest steer-away from pillar-less if you can; sliding roof supports are better IMO. I haven’t yet ever had/used a pillar-less trailer where the buckles didn’t come loose! I guess that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, just I’ve never seen one.

Something else to bear in mind, and last week was the first time I’ve come across it as such, was a max height limit at an RDC. I’ve been to factories, production plants etc. with overhead gantries and conveyor belts and the like that have a height limit but not an RDC before. I went into a place last week with a 15’ 2" trailer and the site limit is 14’ 6". Turns out they do have one high-bay but it’s for outbound only; they managed to get me on it (quiet night) but during the day you’d probably have to wait 8 or 9 hours (which had just happened earlier that day).

marcustandy:

kindle530:

Silver_Surfer:

I was also going to suggest steer-away from pillar-less if you can; sliding roof supports are better IMO. I haven’t yet ever had/used a pillar-less trailer where the buckles didn’t come loose! I guess that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, just I’ve never seen one.

Something else to bear in mind, and last week was the first time I’ve come across it as such, was a max height limit at an RDC. I’ve been to factories, production plants etc. with overhead gantries and conveyor belts and the like that have a height limit but not an RDC before. I went into a place last week with a 15’ 2" trailer and the site limit is 14’ 6". Turns out they do have one high-bay but it’s for outbound only; they managed to get me on it (quiet night) but during the day you’d probably have to wait 8 or 9 hours (which had just happened earlier that day).

Iceland Swindon have HIGH BAY pain in the ■■■ if that’s the only bay they’ll / can tip you on

Thanks for this. Looking through the used sales these certainly seem to be the most available.

burnley-si:
best all rounder is 9ft internal which is about 4.2m / 4.3m

Thanks for this Nick. I will certainly hire before considering a purchase and will ask around as and when I am in customer yards with mixed fleets.

nick2008:

Bachelor Boy:

nick2008:

yep moveable In my own opinion a trailer with is better as you wont get so much roof bounce causing curtain buckles to come away when traveling. internals would be better on the edge of the trl rather than on a bar running down the middle as you can X and front, back and over Topped pallets. we used a few French reg trailers that were good, euroliners .

They had 4 movable posts each side with side boards ( aly planks )
all along the side rave are holes able to take hook ratchets for load security if carrying timber plaster board etc. basically an easysheet flat bed.

If your not sure what you need find a company with a mixed trailer fleet and ask to have a look after all why buy /rent without checking out what you need… you wouldn’t buy your truck without having a good look round.

Excellent point. I was looking a 10-mere straps. Do you think these would cover most situations?

Silver_Surfer:
You’ll need at least 13 ratchet straps as well I’d say as the internals aren’t up to much.

At the moment it will be mainly through other companies as a sub-contractor.

lee mat:
is it your own work direct or working on general through another company