General Election

Whether or not it’s on the predicted date- May 5th, there will be a general election sometime in the near future.

Who are you inclined to vote for?

Vince

None.

But I can’t anyway.

I’ve got a massive dilemma.

I feel compelled to vote, if only to reinforce the point I have one, in times where liberties are being restricted - and because of the sacrifices made over the last century to defend it and expand it.

HOWEVER, I would find it painful, distressing and make me full of guilt and heartache to vote conservative - they destroyed my community, policies led to the deaths of friends parents in the miners strike and afterward when faced with the long-term consequences of nothing for decades. It’d feel like going against everything that’s ingrained into me - and I can only foresee economic disaster within 5 years under them. Many strong policies that are headline grabbing, slick, effective, would work and meet up with my political beliefs - but still the same flawed ideas making up the core and too much of the old party in power. Put an honest man like Boris Johnson, bumbling fool or not, in power of them and you’ll see the ship turn round and become electable. Won’t get my vote now though.

lib-dems have gone from reasonable almost election-worthy policies under the strong leadership of paddy ashdown to a wishy-washy reactionist party trying to be populist but failing miserably under the ginger whinger. the ideas he’s hawking stick in my throat and there’s no way they’ll get a tick in their box from me while he’s at the helm. Trying to follow the 1997 new labour model.

labour - have many things that are in keeping with my political ideas and beliefs but have moved too far to the right, are in too close with global business but then, would the economy have performed so strongly for so long if they weren’t? it sticks in my throat with these too, the idea of giving them something so precious as my vote, my mandate to represent me locally, nationally, globally. I detest the more draconian measures being imposed to control us all the time too. I really feel I can’t give them that endorsement.

Green - a protest party not worthy of mention really despite some ideas that should be implemented by any mainstream party.

UKIP - absolute bloody fools. shoved out some hastily set up policies when accused of being a one-matter party, and they were appalling. having seen some of the leadership’s beliefs captured during that kilroy silk docu, they’re like the cuddly purple BNP

there’s no viable alternatives.

what to do? God knows. Not even a decent independent round here either.
Still, its a safe government ministers seat here, so nowt likely to happen :frowning:

betrayed by a stagnant political system.

I voted other, but read that as ‘don’t know’.

Its a tough one.

Conservative - no way
Same for UKIP
Green - nice idea, but what’s the point, really?

So it’s a toss up between lib dems and labour. I will probably vote for lib dem as a protest to show labour that they can’t get away with what they’ve done., pity the Americans didn’t do the same to Bush.

In the end, it’s all just settling for 2nd best, but isn’t that what us Brits are good at?

In my 20’s I was very politically active (Labour,) I use to spend at least 3 - 4 evenings a week at meetings & at election time was out every evening plus weekends.
I stood at Borough & County elections & was nominated by my local branch as a Perspective Parliamentary Candidate.
But today despite still being very interested in politics & still more than willing to get involved in issues that matter to me, I would not vote Labour or support it in any way.
Todays politicians are far more interested in image than politics.
Love her or hate her Maggie was the last political leader this country had.

I live in a democratic country and my parents and grandparents fought for the right to vote

SECRETLY :stuck_out_tongue:

But it wont be Tony Blur

Wheel Nut:
I live in a democratic country and my parents and grandparents fought for the right to vote

SECRETLY :stuck_out_tongue:

But it wont be Tony Blur

Ditto

Although we are having more postal votes where I live and I am not convinced about the secrecy bit.

I will either be voting UKIP or BNP ( are we allowed to mention them on here), i certainly wont be voting for that lying son of a ■■■■■ Bliar, if he gets in again then i just cant afford to live any more.

:smiley: I leave this one to you guys as I dont have to deal with it anymore :smiley: My dad has just retired and moved to the south of France because he’s tired of Blairs Britian so I guess that sums it up…get the hell out of dodge.

Bully

jammymutt:
I will either be voting UKIP or BNP

BNP? No, you shouldn’t be able to mention them on here.

Ghost am I right in saying that BNP are supposed to be big here in cosmopolitan metrolopis of Heanor?

Have to say now I think of it the ethnic population of any group is small if not non-existant.

CM:
Ghost am I right in saying that BNP are supposed to be big here in cosmopolitan metrolopis of Heanor?

Have to say now I think of it the ethnic population of any group is small if not non-existant.

I really don’t know. They seem to get in and stir up trouble in already volatile areas like Oldham & Bradford. They could well be big in Heanor. Think of all the fear! If you don’t vote for us, in a years time the labour government is going to turn rural Derbyshire into the new Bradford! They would probably do well in Mansfield too, loads of racists here. None of them (that I’ve met) have a good argument, but maybe that’s due to intelligence levels.

CM, I have just found this;

In the Local elections for Amber Valley Council the BNP stood candidates in just two wards. Although neither were elected (Labour retained seats in the two wards) the results were a little too close in Heanor West, where the BNP beat the Conservatives for second place. The BNP candidate was only some 180 votes behind the Labour Party candidate that won the Ward.

UNISON mounted a huge campaign during the elections highlighting the BNP’s racist policies. Clearly, while UNISON can be rightly proud of the campaign that was run and the success in thwarting the BNP, it is important that nobody gets complacent. The BNP have increased their share of the vote in the European elections and there was a very close call in Amber Valley. It is important that nobody takes the results for granted and UNISON continues to develop its campaign against the BNP in readiness for the General Election, which is likely to be called in 2005.

theghostofcain:

CM:

I really don’t know. They seem to get in and stir up trouble in already volatile areas like Oldham & Bradford. They could well be big in Heanor. Think of all the fear! If you don’t vote for us, in a years time the labour government is going to turn rural Derbyshire into the new Bradford! They would probably do well in Mansfield too, loads of racists here. None of them (that I’ve met) have a good argument, but maybe that’s due to intelligence levels.

At least an influx of people from outside into Heanor, Eastwood and may’be Mansfield too, would increase the gene pool.

theghostofcain:
CM, I have just found this;

In the Local elections for Amber Valley Council the BNP stood candidates in just two wards. Although neither were elected (Labour retained seats in the two wards) the results were a little too close in Heanor West, where the BNP beat the Conservatives for second place. The BNP candidate was only some 180 votes behind the Labour Party candidate that won the Ward.

UNISON mounted a huge campaign during the elections highlighting the BNP’s racist policies. Clearly, while UNISON can be rightly proud of the campaign that was run and the success in thwarting the BNP, it is important that nobody gets complacent. The BNP have increased their share of the vote in the European elections and there was a very close call in Amber Valley. It is important that nobody takes the results for granted and UNISON continues to develop its campaign against the BNP in readiness for the General Election, which is likely to be called in 2005.

The point about complacency is very valid, they rely on our ( The public’s)indifference to politics to reinforce their power base at every opportunity.

theghostofcain:

jammymutt:
I will either be voting UKIP or BNP

BNP? No, you shouldn’t be able to mention them on here.

Why not?.

At least an influx of people from outside into Heanor, Eastwood and may’be Mansfield too, would increase the gene pool.

LMAO!

jammymutt:
I will either be voting UKIP or BNP ( are we allowed to mention them on here),

Why ask the question, then?

There is only going to be 2 answers, surely?

Whether the answer is yes or no the BNP are political party involved in the democratic government of this country, some of us who have a lot of pride in this country are sick of Europe, and would like our national identity preserved and not “sold to the highest bidder”, if the answer was no i would have expected an explanation after all we live in a democracy dont we?.

Freedom of speech and all that which is gradually being taken away from us , its OK in this country to to have a prayer meeting in a London street and denounce the country you claim thousands in benefits from but its not ok to fly a union Jack from your house “where do we go from here is it down to the lake i fear?”.

If there is a political party out there that supports my identity as a loyal and proud British citizen then they will get my vote, i just cant understand why some people have a dislike for the BNP or UKIP, you just keep voting Labour ghost and wave goodbye to your identity and even more of your wageslip every week ofr month.

The BNP has nothing to do with being sick of Europe, it’s to do with what colour you are, and that, to me is no basis to run a country