Geared/Manual Lorries

Hello,

I’m a new member, therefore apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have recently passed my LGV Class 2 license, CPC etc. and is currently looking for work. However, I carried out my lessons and passed my test in a automatic truck as now the law allows you to drive manual and automatic following passing in an automatic vehicle.

I might have an opportunity possibly driving with a particular company if all goes well - however I believe that they drive Scania Trucks & I do not have any experience with manual trucks nevermind a Scania.

I was hoping if someone could post a link to a video of working a geared SCANIA truck please. So I can get the basics before my assessment on Tuesday. (I have made them aware that I have only driven an automatic).

Thank you in advance.

Hannah

Welcome to TNUK and good luck with the Co-op, try searching on you tube there’s bound to be stuff on there about it.

Hi - welcome to the congenial madness of our cosy community!!

Regarding your situation, you will be fine with a manual if its just a six speed box. This is more likely to be a bigger obstacle for you if/when you move up to class 1, as you are much more likely to encounter the likes of 4 over 4 high/low range manual boxes with electronic splitters. This isnt as space-age as it sounds, but requires a bit of wrestling with at first. Although trucks are all trending towards auto these days, theres still a reasonable number of manuals in active service. It might be an idea to do a few hours in a manual with a training school if you feel it necessary (& can afford it?) Never driven a Scania either tbh (or a Renault), but after a while, a truck is a truck is a truck and so on!! Youll find a wealth of vids on youtube - just type driving a manual scania and youre good to go. Also, have a delve into the forum search box. Learn how to utilise it and its a goldmine for newbies (newbies section is very good too). All the best.

People are telling you it’s not a problem, but Scanias are a pain in the ■■■■.

They have a “clutch saver”. You can’t slip the bloody thing. Rev it up, pull off the clutch quickly, and hold on to your neck when it jumps forwards. First time I drove a Scanny I was really excited. Then I found out the only thing worse than Scanias are Iveco’s :L.

Good luck with the job though mate. Splitters and that aren’t too annoying.

That would o mu be on new trucks they company he may be working for could win older trucks. In scanias you tend to find the have a four over four arrange meant so to get 5th gear you flick switch and go back to first gear position if you going to fast it won’t let u go for 1st so don’t worry you’ll get the hang of it as said if you need it go for manual lessons. Personally I don’t feel learns should use an automatic to learn in as the transition for manual to auto is easier then going the other way

I was just thinking… How long is it since we had: "I just got a job where they have auto boxes - I never drove one before. Can anyone help?" Plus ça change

Are you implying you are going to The CoOp

Or a worker coop like Suma or Essential ?

htmldude:
They have a “clutch saver”. You can’t slip the bloody thing. Rev it up, pull off the clutch quickly, and hold on to your neck when it jumps forwards.

Are you sure this is the clutch OR you ■■

Unless its a 3 series you need to let the clutch out BEFORE you hit the go pedal !! You can easily tell : let clutch out with no throttle at all and see if the revs pick up all by themselves .

This will indicate you are doing it all wrong

HannuhCoop:
Hello,

I’m a new member, therefore apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have recently passed my LGV Class 2 license, CPC etc. and is currently looking for work. However, I carried out my lessons and passed my test in a automatic truck as now the law allows you to drive manual and automatic following passing in an automatic vehicle.

I might have an opportunity possibly driving with a particular company if all goes well - however I believe that they drive Scania Trucks & I do not have any experience with manual trucks nevermind a Scania.

I was hoping if someone could post a link to a video of working a geared SCANIA truck please. So I can get the basics before my assessment on Tuesday. (I have made them aware that I have only driven an automatic).

Thank you in advance.

Hannah

Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fatHbA3CQN0 and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kePHTL9oHQM

htmldude:
People are telling you it’s not a problem, but Scanias are a pain in the ■■■■.

Im gonna hazard a guess the OP wont have that problem…

Santa:
I was just thinking… How long is it since we had: "I just got a job where they have auto boxes - I never drove one before. Can anyone help?" Plus ça change

Call me old fashioned, but how can they give a ■■■■■■ Class 1 to a guy that has never driven a manual box ffs :unamused: (btw no offence to the o/p it aint your fault it’s the ridiculous ■■■■■■ system mate)
We all know there’s a world of difference between an auto that a chimp can drive and a manual box with splitter and all the rest of it, and I reckon if they let him (or anybody else) loose with 44 tonnes with no experience, (which is bad enough in it’s self) but without knowing anything about a manual box, it will be a recipe for disaster. On a non motorway road he will be a danger to himself and every ■■■■ else.
As long as manuals are still being used they should be taught how to drive on them.
■■■■■■ ridiculous.!!

Btw I aint advocating for us all to go back to ETSs, I am quite happy with autos these days… before anybody starts.

She Rob, SHE! :wink:

the maoster:
She Rob, SHE! :wink:

I must have missed that bit. :blush: :smiley:

Rob must have got annoyed and thought i must have a rant.But dont think he got to the end of the post with her name at the bottom.

robroy:

Santa:

Call me old fashioned, but how can they give a [zb] Class 1 to a guy that has never driven a manual box ffs :unamused: (btw no offence to the o/p it aint your fault it’s the ridiculous [zb] system mate)
We all know there’s a world of difference between an auto that a chimp can drive and a manual box with splitter and all the rest of it, and I reckon if they let him (or anybody else) loose with 44 tonnes with no experience, (which is bad enough in it’s self) but without knowing anything about a manual box, it will be a recipe for disaster. On a non motorway road he will be a danger to himself and every [zb] else.
As long as manuals are still being used they should be taught how to drive on them.
[zb] ridiculous.!!

Btw I aint advocating for us all to go back to ETSs, I am quite happy with autos these days… before anybody starts.

Totally agree with you old Pal

Colin_scottish:
Rob must have got annoyed and thought i must have a rant.But dont think he got to the end of the post with her name at the bottom.

What? She has her name on her bottom? :neutral_face:

robroy:

Colin_scottish:

What? She has her name on her bottom? :neutral_face:

Never seen her bottom so cant say.