Gearbox question / driving tests

Hi
The change to allow Automatic gearboxes to be used for tests and give the trainee manual entitlement provided they have a manual car license has been much discussed.
I did wonder whether the requirement for a manual gearbox to have 8 forward ratios has also been relaxed? (I’m curious simply because of the high number of vehicles with straight 6 gearboxes out there and whether these can now be used by driving schools.)

th2013:
Hi
The change to allow Automatic gearboxes to be used for tests and give the trainee manual entitlement provided they have a manual car license has been much discussed.
I did wonder whether the requirement for a manual gearbox to have 8 forward ratios has also been relaxed? (I’m curious simply because of the high number of vehicles with straight 6 gearboxes out there and whether these can now be used by driving schools.)

Any gearbox can now be used

I wouldn’t like to be sitting mine in an auto. I’ve passed both mine already but from speaking to a few examiners they will be watching any auto drivers like a hawk and pick them up on anything they can.

We are offering options. For CAT C, either manual (8 speed) or auto. For CE, either manual or auto wagon and drag OR auto full size artic.

I am also offering conversion courses from w+d to artic and auto to manual.

Job sorted IMO!

Pete :laughing: :laughing: